#1 elliewelly

elliewelly

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Member: 4579

Posted 12 June 2017 - 20:30

Hi, I have looked around for the bench, but can't find one to sit on whilst awaiting this term's exams, so I've pulled up a new one.  Am I first?

I had three recorder entrants with Trinity today - one each of Initial, Grade 3 and Grade 4.  They all went very well, thankfully, so I'm hopeful of merits or more.

I have a Grade 1 ABRSM Flute still to go on June 30th.  I asked for Week 6 (which is rare, I usually request week 3, 4 or 5 in the summer) but I guess everyone else did, and I think this is Week 3.  Ho hum!

Last but not least is a Grade 7 Clarinet with Trinity, on July 12th.  She is still a little shaky, but should pass.  We have to get it done now, before she heads off to university.  My younger daughter has Grade 3 Cello on the same day, and is nowhere near ready!

#2 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:30

All mine are on 5 July - grades 1 and 2 piano.  One is definitely ready, one I will see tonight, two need to do some work but are conscientious enough to pull it together in time.  I'm quite looking forward to it this time (one of the grade 2s is my son, and I love how excited he is to perform - no nerves at all.  Oh to be eight years' old and super-confident again!)

On a different thread I mentioned a child that I didn't put forward (against Mum's wishes) as I wasn't convinced he'd be ready and he really isn't - not least because he's cancelled his last 2 lessons due to social activities and the one that would have been right before his exam his Mum has also cancelled.  I confess I couldn't resist saying "it's a good job he's not taking the exam isn't it?!" when she told me of the cancelled lessons this half term.  Perhaps I'm being mean and she wouldn't cancel if the exam was happening.

So, not quite on the bench yet, but looking forward to it.  Someone warm me up a spot.

TGS x

#3 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2220 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Stoneclough

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:02

I only have two theory candidates this session, both taking Grade 2. I've been very interested to see the difference between these two since they both took grade 1 last year and both got distinction. The 9 year old is doing very well, but has had some difficulty memorising Italian terms and remembering key signatures, whereas the 11 year old is completely on top of everything and has been getting very high marks on all his practice papers, despite having just had a whole week of exams at school. I love teaching theory and find watching their progress fascinating!  

#4 elliewelly

elliewelly

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Member: 4579

Posted 14 June 2017 - 14:56

Ooh, Theory.  No, I don't have any this time, but probably need to sort out my younger daughter.  She has done Grade 3 Recorder with Trinity, and is doing the same for Cello this term, but probably Grade 3 Clarinet with ABRSM next year.  I need to get on the case.

And no, I hadn't realised until now that she seems to be collecting Grade 3s!

I am off the bench already, with a distinction for the Initial Grade, pass for the Grade 3, and merit for the Grade 4.  Two were delighted, one a little disappointed, but they all did well!

#5 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2011 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 14 June 2017 - 15:39

Not on the bench just yet and once again this one has crept up on me and has not been without it's drama's

AB next week

piano

Grade 2 (a PGLTP Please God let them pass)

3 Grade 3's one who I've had to change the date due to a school camp so that bodes well for the practise)

singing should both be ok

Grade 2 

Grade 3 

Trinity in 2 weeks time I had drama over the centre as it was full even though I was in plenty of time so they all had to shift to another one 

Grade 7 will probably withdraw due to bad back

3 grade 4's all should do well

Grade 2 (PGLTP)

3 initials honestly I have no idea, should do well but I'm not convinced one of them actually understands the concept of an exam 

Well done Elliewellie some fab results  :D

#6 BannerdaleMusic

BannerdaleMusic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Member: 895699

Posted 14 June 2017 - 20:50

I have a theory in on Sat... its a PGLTP... no prep done as he's in the middle of his GCSE's. He's hit and miss in lessons, and I've taught him a foolproof methological approach to composition.
Then I have exam board practices with ABRSM, 3 pianos (2,3 & a 4) and a clarinet grade 2 on 30th June.

Trinity, 3 pianos 4th July (2 X grade 1 and a grade 2)

LCM on 6th July, 13 pianos (most of which are preps and pre preps with 3 grade 1s, a grade 2 recital jazz, and a grade 3)

Then my first Trinity Rock and Pop doing an initial on 11th July...

Not too many worries, out of 22 kids I'm only worried about 3 or 4 - the grade 2 Trinity is dubious on His 3rd piece and scales, and the LCM grade 3 is a last minute practicer (apart from the 'Bear Necessities' which he finished months ago!) The grade 2 clarinet is a bag of nerves. The ABRSM grade 4 'Foreign Correspondent' is just hard, and I'm worried under pressure may not be pulled off, especially if the Clementi is at all wobbly (she's a perfectionist), but she is a whizz at scales / aural and has her B piece (Waltz in A) nailed.... here's hoping!

#7 anonymousalto

anonymousalto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Member: 887475
  • South West

Posted 14 June 2017 - 21:57

I have a Trinity initial Grade and a Grade 2 next Wednesday - both have done music exams before, quite confident, the grade 2 has just finished a music degree... They have one dodgy piece each, but the rest seems ok. 

Also 4 copper & 2 bronze music medal recorders to be fitted in by the end of term... all 7-8 year old girls of varying abilities, but very keen!

#8 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:33

We've got 16 exams (15 candidates -  one doing piano and flute) on Sunday. Prep Tests, Grades 1, 2 and 3 and Grade 5 - all piano except for the one flautist There will be some wobbly moments no doubt and some will not play as well as they actually can. The sight reading will be dire to just passable! The aural tests are fine for some and hit and miss for others. The weather forecast is very hot - ugh!

However, this year I have had so many problems at home, particularly recently, that I have decided to be as cool about it all as possible. I can't take any more stress so i'm just saying whatever will be will be.

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16451 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 15 June 2017 - 18:18

We've got 16 exams (15 candidates -  one doing piano and flute) on Sunday. Prep Tests, Grades 1, 2 and 3 and Grade 5 - all piano except for the one flautist There will be some wobbly moments no doubt and some will not play as well as they actually can. The sight reading will be dire to just passable! The aural tests are fine for some and hit and miss for others. The weather forecast is very hot - ugh!

However, this year I have had so many problems at home, particularly recently, that I have decided to be as cool about it all as possible. I can't take any more stress so i'm just saying whatever will be will be.

Good luck with all those Aquarelle, you deserve it ! :)

#10 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 20:25

Thank you F# minor!

#11 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:59

Well, we've done it. Three passes, seven merits and two distinctions. The rest were Prep Tests. The distinctions were a Grade 1 piano and a Grade 2 flute. Extremely nice examiner who was complimentary about my teaching. I felt he "read" my pupils well and the marks and remarks were fair and correct. I was knackered at the end but it was well worth it and a very enjoyable occasion.

One of my Grade 5 girls set the bar too high and galloped into her Bach Prelude at a pace I knew she couldn't sustain. It came a cropper but she did get 20 because the examiner, told me afterwards, apart from the two accidents she played everything with a very nice baroque style - articulation and phrasing and expression all  very musical. She managed the remaining two pieces but after the shock not quite as well as she usually does. I had hoped for a merit and she pulled off a very comfortable pass at 117. That's what I call musical courage and I told her so. I think she was comforted!

#12 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:46

Congratulations Aquarelle!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :goldstar:

#13 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2220 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Stoneclough

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:54

Many congratulations, Aquarelle!! I can imagine how tired you are right now and we know that things aren't easy for you to plan and organise the exams where you are, so just a massive well done! :hurrah:  :hurrah:  :hurrah:   

#14 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16451 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:49

Well done Aquarelle :lol:

#15 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5194 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 20 June 2017 - 13:56

On the bench with a G2 violin yesterday. Her tuning is always a bit dodgy, so hope she's got on alright.

Does anyone know where to find the dates when results should be published? Computer playing up and won't let me access the page.