#1 WannabeJazzMan

WannabeJazzMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 897414

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:51

Hi everyone

I'm trying to learn the basics of piano and I've picked up the Grade 1 Jazz book.

I'm muddling my way through until I find a local teacher but I'm a little stuck on the most appropriate fingering for playing the Gb3 pentatonic in two octaves. I know only one octave is required at G1 but I figured I'm as well as trying to push it a little.

I'm currently trying;

RH
GABb DE GABb DEG ED BbAG ED BbAG

LH
GABb DE GABb DEG ED BbAG ED BbAG

Both of these feel awkward so I thought I'd ask here to check if I'm on the right track.

Many thanks in advance for all replies ?

#2 muffinmonster

muffinmonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Member: 41676
  • East London

Posted 01 April 2017 - 14:22

Are you sure you've got the right notes for that scale? I would play G (minor) pentatonic as follows:

G Bb C D F G.

Can't really help with the fingering, though!

#3 WannabeJazzMan

WannabeJazzMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 897414

Posted 02 April 2017 - 00:32

Hi,

It's not G minor pentatonic but Gb3 pentatonic (which is simply the G major pentatonic with a flattened 3rd).

I'd never come across it before and I've since come to view it (fairly or not!) as simply a sub-scale of G Dorian, as is the G minor pentatonic. (I'm not sure if a 'sub-scale' is actually a thing but it helps me work some things out!)

I'm guessing they figured having both G Dorian and G Mixolydian at Grade 1 would be too confusing hence limiting the notes from G Dorian into a smaller scale? That's my guess anyway and it stopped me wondering about the strange little b3 pentatonic ha ha.

My fingering still feels clumsy though and I'm reading different things online as to the best methods. There seems to be two schools of thought: one for playing scales for their own sake and another for learning fingerings which are more 'realistic' i.e. as used in most pieces.

For example, my first book has G Major left hand as 12345345 (nice and easy) but some online sources have it as 32132143 (more difficult, but apparently better for playing pieces). Is that a fair comment? Is one better than the other or are both worth practising?

My worry us I end up learning the easy way and wind up being able to whizz and down the scales in an exam-like setting but not actually be able to use them in improvisations so any thoughts on how best to practice scales alongside thoughts on fingering would be really appreciated!