SDod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 488377

Posted 03 July 2016 - 17:58

Hi all, 

What are people's thoughts on the announcement of the new ARSM to bridge the gap between G8 and DipABRSM?  It seems to me that this has been sorely needed for some years.

I assume some further details might come next week, along with the launch of the new piano syllabus.  It will be interesting to see what the implications are for the DipABRSM, particularly in terms of accreditation. 

S.

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16475 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 03 July 2016 - 20:06

Hi all, 

What are people's thoughts on the announcement of the new ARSM to bridge the gap between G8 and DipABRSM?  It seems to me that this has been sorely needed for some years.

I assume some further details might come next week, along with the launch of the new piano syllabus.  It will be interesting to see what the implications are for the DipABRSM, particularly in terms of accreditation. 

S.

There is a thread already running on this with many opinions given..........see in the teachers section of the forums.

#3 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22114 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 04 July 2016 - 14:49

I think it is good for people who are preparing for the professional route but not ready or confident for a current diploma.

My personal opinion, as with anything, one can avoid a weakness (ie, programme notes, viva, scales, sight reading) but sooner or later one has to confront them. This qualification only delays the inevitable; or, it will give people a diploma fix without further pursuit, specifically referring to fail rates and diminished turnout at higher levels of study (DipABRSM: ca. 1500; LRSM: ca. 450; FRSM: ca. 30).

I will watch this space, and will reserve further comment for when statistics are published.

ATCL is pretty much a performance only diploma for those who don't want to be examined on other elements. 

#4 SDod

SDod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 15:23

I guess you may also argue that one never really *has* to confront things such as a viva, or sight reading, particularly if you take the Trinity route and playing is purely for your own pleasure... 

#5 jpiano

jpiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 04 July 2016 - 21:20

Well, we'll all know more when the syllabus comes out, but I hope that there is more to really differentiate this new qualification other than not having to perform certain elements like the viva and so on.

Thinking about the need to confront certain elements we all find difficult- I guess the benefit of this diploma is that it will give people more time to build up skills and experience- as well as rewarding those for whom it may be as far as they take their qualifications. Maybe it could have been called something like a Foundation Diploma though to differentiate it from the Dip ABRSM?

#6 SDod

SDod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 23:27

I think there is an issue with the naming. In my mind, (without knowing anything) I would assume ARSM was higher than DipABRSM, as this would follow the convention in calling the higher level diplomas 'Royal Schools of Music' and not 'ABRSM' - though admittedly, I never understood why DipABRSM was called that...a little demeaning, perhaps.

#7 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 25 July 2016 - 15:19

I am sorry that I am late to the party - I had taken a hiatus from the forum.

I live in Hong Kong.  The vast majority of students here take the ATCL instead of the DipABRSM, because they are not able to handle the viva voce and the quick study.  I have a feeling that the reason behind the ARSM launch is commercial - Trinity has been eating ABRSM's cake, and this is ABRSM's answer to the ATCL.

#8 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16475 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 25 July 2016 - 15:31

I live in Hong Kong.  The vast majority of students here take the ATCL instead of the DipABRSM, because they are not able to handle the viva voce and the quick study.  I have a feeling that the reason behind the ARSM launch is commercial - Trinity has been eating ABRSM's cake, and this is ABRSM's answer to the ATCL.

Yes thats what I feel too. A money spinner, and also an attempt to counteract  DipLCM.  Neither ARSM or DipLCM are in my opinion  of good enough standard to be given diploma status.   Advanced Performance Certificate maybe.

#9 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 16:23

I live in Hong Kong. The vast majority of students here take the ATCL instead of the DipABRSM, because they are not able to handle the viva voce and the quick study. I have a feeling that the reason behind the ARSM launch is commercial - Trinity has been eating ABRSM's cake, and this is ABRSM's answer to the ATCL.

Yes thats what I feel too. A money spinner, and also an attempt to counteract DipLCM. Neither ARSM or DipLCM are in my opinion of good enough standard to be given diploma status. Advanced Performance Certificate maybe.
In my opinion, neither is ATCL a proper diploma. Most people just hired someone to write the programme notes. A violinist I know, whose playing is horribly out-of-tune, passed the ATCL with distinction ...

#10 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 25 July 2016 - 21:22

In my opinion, neither is ATCL a proper diploma. Most people just hired someone to write the programme notes.

That is not allowed. The Trinity diploma regulations quite clearly state that the programme notes must be the candidate's own unaided work. If such flouting of the regulations is as widespread as you suggest, it devalues the qualification. In this respect, the ABRSM diplomas are better, as any candidate who had not written their own programme notes would likely be picked up in the viva, and run the risk of failing that section.

#11 The Land

The Land

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 894690

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:38

So the ARSM syllabus is up now - interesting stuff! The listed repertoire looks virtually identical to DipABRSM but the mark scheme does look much more forgiving.

#12 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 14:57

Just a 30-minute recital, no scales, no sightreading/quick study, no viva voce, no programme notes, no aural test/practical musicianship. Is this the easiest/most light-weight diploma on record?

#13 ellie_the_little_elephant

ellie_the_little_elephant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Member: 45895
  • Manchester

Posted 04 August 2016 - 15:10

It looks quite similar to the Advanced Performance Certificate offered by Trinity. (As someone who took grade 8 flute two years ago the DipABRSM is sort-of my next step; I considered the Advanced Performance Certificate but my teacher recommended that I attend flute courses/flute days and masterclasses instead, before starting to think about a diploma.

#14 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41550 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:37

So the ARSM syllabus is up now - interesting stuff! The listed repertoire looks virtually identical to DipABRSM but the mark scheme does look much more forgiving.

I can't seem to get the repertoire lists to show on my tablet : clicking there sends me round in circles back to the ARSM home page. Is it me, or the Board at fault?...

#15 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6305 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:43

The link on the right does send you back to the same page - you have to scroll down to the bottom of said page and the 'download repertoire lists' is the top one of the collapsed questions.  Expand that, and the repertoire pdfs can be found.

As a page design it's ... somewhat less than intuitive, I think.