Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6298 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 06 May 2011 - 13:32

You're going to need a name change, at this rate smile.gif Enjoy!

sing.gif

#4 Sunrise

Sunrise

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3434 posts
  • Member: 106844
  • Gibraltar

Posted 06 May 2011 - 13:34

QUOTE(Maizie @ May 6 2011, 01:32 PM) View Post

sing.gif

I was just thinking the same thing...has MNW caught the music bug????

#5 Guest: MusicalNitWit_*

Guest: MusicalNitWit_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 06 May 2011 - 15:53

QUOTE(Dawnmc71 @ May 6 2011, 02:34 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Maizie @ May 6 2011, 01:32 PM) View Post

sing.gif

Yes I have. You are all costing me a fortune but I will always be a MNW.

Music lesson was amazing with virtually no singing! laugh.gif

P.S. She can't believe I've never had lessons. biggrin.gif

#6 Sunrise

Sunrise

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3434 posts
  • Member: 106844
  • Gibraltar

Posted 06 May 2011 - 16:04

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 6 2011, 03:53 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Dawnmc71 @ May 6 2011, 02:34 PM) View Post

Yes I have. You are all costing me a fortune but I will always be a MNW.

Music lesson was amazing with virtually no singing! laugh.gif

P.S. She can't believe I've never had lessons. biggrin.gif

Excellent - on all counts!! laugh.gif

#7 Guest: SueHM_*

Guest: SueHM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2011 - 17:11

All that sitting in cathedrals must have had an effect!

#8 scotliz

scotliz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 22328

Posted 06 May 2011 - 17:20

Well done MNW - onwards and upwards!

#9 tonedeafmum

tonedeafmum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Member: 105486
  • Not in Kansas anymore

Posted 06 May 2011 - 18:16

QUOTE(Maizie @ May 6 2011, 02:32 PM) View Post

sing.gif

More than one way to be a MusicalNitWit - a lot of (unenlightened) people see all we adult music beginners as nitwits, wasting time we could spend watching soaps and money we could spend on clothes for the back of the wardrobe.

There is, of course, only one way be to a tone deaf mum so I will stick to my lovely shiny flute and not attempt any singing. smile.gif

Promise.

fingersCrossed.gif

No - honestly - I won't.

flute.gif smile.gif flute.gif

#10 Czerny

Czerny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4253 posts
  • Member: 21097

Posted 06 May 2011 - 19:11

Crikey, can't keep up! I thought you were taking up the oboe? laugh.gif

#11 klavierkat

klavierkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 48848
  • Weybridge, Surrey

Posted 07 May 2011 - 20:55

I'd be interested to hear how the singing lessons progress - because I had a few lessons a year or so ago, but I felt I never really did any singing in the lessons - all vowels sounds and breathing exercises! I felt very uncomfortable - maybe because he was a male teacher and didn't really put me at my ease.

#12 Guest: MusicalNitWit_*

Guest: MusicalNitWit_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:19

QUOTE(klavierkat @ May 7 2011, 09:55 PM) View Post

I'd be interested to hear how the singing lessons progress - because I had a few lessons a year or so ago, but I felt I never really did any singing in the lessons - all vowels sounds and breathing exercises! I felt very uncomfortable - maybe because he was a male teacher and didn't really put me at my ease.

The breathing exercise she has given me is fantastic but it was very touchy-feely/lying on the floor/staring at my sunburnt face in the mirror ill.gif so I can imagine it could feel uncomfortable. I won't be seeing her for two weeks as she needs me to come back with my breathing sorted blink.gif before we move onto the next thing. I am still confused as to why I have never come across this breathing technique before and NW junior hasn't either.

#13 klavierkat

klavierkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 48848
  • Weybridge, Surrey

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:24

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 7 2011, 10:19 PM) View Post

The breathing exercise she has given me is fantastic but it was very touchy-feely/lying on the floor/staring at my sunburnt face in the mirror ill.gif so I can imagine it could feel uncomfortable. I won't be seeing her for two weeks as she needs me to come back with my breathing sorted blink.gif before we move onto the next thing. I am still confused as to why I have never come across this breathing technique before and NW junior hasn't either.

Yes, my lessons also included lying on the floor! and touching rib cage etc. I have come across breathing exercises before, but not lying on the floor! Alongside the technical there needs to be some fun singing too! I think my problem was the teacher and I didn't click. He was too much into detailed explanations of technique. Pity coz its put me off - expensive too. But I find my slowly improving piano playing is helping with the singing quite a lot.

#14 Seer_Green

Seer_Green

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3869 posts
  • Member: 114670
  • Lichfield, Staffordshire

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:28

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 7 2011, 10:19 PM) View Post

How odd - I've never come across singing teachers who require you to lie on the floor or stare at one's sunburnt face in the mirror. I personally wouldn't be at all happy with that (and I wouldn't expect my pupils to do it!) - in the end though, whatever works for you rolleyes.gif However, if your singing teacher expects you to come back when your breathing is 'sorted' this could be years not weeks. It takes so long to get in touch with your breathing when you start to sing. It's such an enormously alien concept to most pupils they take a long time - at least many months and sometimes years before it's even vaguely 'sorted'. I hope that what they really mean is that you come back when you've practised the particular breathing exercises they've asked you to.

Good luck!

#15 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Member: 7854

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:05

I've had a (very good, highly qualified) singing teacher and an excellent oboe teacher doing the lying on the floor thing for breathing exercises. I have a vague memory that the oboe teacher lay down himself and showed me the exercise, which I was encouraged to try at home rather than getting me to lie on the floor. Possibly because at that stage he was teaching me in school (even though I'd previously had years of lessons with him at his home). Definitely lay down on the singing teacher's floor though.

Neither time struck me as remotely dodgy, and I'm still good friends with both the teachers!