Old Eko Guitar

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: meerkat_*

Guest: meerkat_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 04 February 2006 - 22:11

My brother left me in possession of his old guitar. It's an eko steel string acoustic. It's in good basic condition, but needs a bit of fixing up (the strumming board has a small break, and it needs cleaning and re-stringing). I don't know much about this make, except that it was very popular in the sixties. I played it a few times a long long time ago, and remember it was very loud, but not much else about its tone. I wondered whether anyone knew much about the brand, and whether it's worth getting it fixed up? If I played it, it would be for folk style guitar, not for classical.

J

#2 Guest: Jinxter_*

Guest: Jinxter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 00:45

QUOTE(meerkat @ Feb 4 2006, 10:11 PM) View Post

My brother left me in possession of his old guitar. It's an eko steel string acoustic. It's in good basic condition, but needs a bit of fixing up (the strumming board has a small break, and it needs cleaning and re-stringing). I don't know much about this make, except that it was very popular in the sixties. I played it a few times a long long time ago, and remember it was very loud, but not much else about its tone. I wondered whether anyone knew much about the brand, and whether it's worth getting it fixed up? If I played it, it would be for folk style guitar, not for classical.

J

QUOTE(Jinxter @ Feb 9 2006, 12:44 AM) View Post

QUOTE(meerkat @ Feb 4 2006, 10:11 PM) View Post

J

#3 Guest: meerkat_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:00

Hi jinxter - looks like the posting gremlins got your post...

#4 Guest: Jinxter_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:22

Hi Meerkat!

Your Eko guitar was made in Italy probably during the early sixties. If you look inside the soundhole you should see the makers lablel with the model name near the top of the label, mine says Modello J52 (the J meaning "Jumbo" style body) . Sadly it`s not a quality instrument, ok for a bit of busking or a decent beginner/intermediate guitar.

My Eko was also given to me by my brother, who bougt it around 1962 and gave it to me in 1976. This has been kept unplayed in my wardrobe for at least the last 5 years and I have just taken it out, unbelivebly it`s still in perfect tune!

As regards price I doubt it would be worth more than £200. But a collector of sixties guitars may pay considerably more.

#5 Guest: Jinxter_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:39

Oops!

Now how do I get rid of Gremlins?

#6 Guest: meerkat_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:02

Thats about what I thought. I was thinking of using it for things like playing the accompaniment in church - where loud is often more important than most other factors! If it's regarded as a decent beginners / intermediate, it will probably fit the bill, and save me the expense of having to buy another steel strung (I don't especially like playing steel).

Thanks for your help!

Since getting it out of the cupboard, I've noticed it's incredibly heavy! What on earth is it made of? Its model number has worn off - just a space where it obviously used to be written - so I'm finding it hard to look it up with any accuracy on the net.

#7 Guest: Jinxter_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 15:42

Try "Fetishguitars.com" for more info.

You`re right they are heavy. Handy if the gig "kicks off" he, he.

Could be laminate but it looks too good for that, also the top appears to be constructed from four pieces of spruce (this is usually two pieces). The bracings and neck block are very solid looking.

#8 Guest: meerkat_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 16:05

http://www.fetishgui...anger6_cat.html

That's it! smile.gif