Composing!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: daisy_rocks_*

Guest: daisy_rocks_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 30 March 2006 - 19:49

I absolutely LOVE composing but i'm not great at it and i'd like to improve so does anyone have any good tips or do you just go with the flow??? smile.gif

#2 Guest: Car Expert_*

Guest: Car Expert_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 20:39

Go to this thread, and the links will take you to more threads. smile.gif

Car Expert

#3 Guest: another crazy pianist_*

Guest: another crazy pianist_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 20:49

Good job, CE ! (as usual...) wink.gif

#4 Guest: hyperchik_*

Guest: hyperchik_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 14:20

First off, think about what instrument you want to compose for, or if you want it to be a song for a person's voice. Then you can think of a theme and use different cadences (V-I or IV-I could do). Your compo can also have a pattern (e.g. rondo form A-B-A-C-A etc.) if you want it to. That's not the only way though. If you have something that's been in your head for a while, you can also write it down and build up on it. It's always good to write down ideas as there is a saying: "Any composer knows the disappointment of losing an idea that they have not written down!"

#5 Guest: Noodelz_*

Guest: Noodelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 15:31

QUOTE(hyperchik @ Mar 31 2006, 03:20 PM) View Post

It's always good to write down ideas as there is a saying: "Any composer knows the disappointment of losing an idea that they have not written down!"

That happens to me nearly everyday lol. Writing it down is just too long...

#6 Guest: hyperchik_*

Guest: hyperchik_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 18:09

The original manuscripts of the great composers are extremely messy!! Maybe it's because they were in such a hurry (and writing in ink at the same time)... apparently Beethoven's symphonies were quite challenging for the publishers to read. rolleyes.gif

#7 Guest: crazy_purple_piano_freak_*

Guest: crazy_purple_piano_freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 19:00

When I bought Hisaishi's Encore album, it had scanned in handwritten original score from some of the pieces in between each piece..bit messy but readable!. biggrin.gif

#8 Guest: Noodelz_*

• Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 16:17

I guess since Beethoven composed for a living he didn't have time to be neat, he was a messy person anyway wasn't he? And a lot of the time he composed away from his piano so he made many mistakes, but wait, didn't he have perfect pitch?

#9 Guest: sarah-flute_*

Guest: sarah-flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 16:29

According to wikipedia he did, though don't know how they know!

You don't need it to compose away from an instrument though.

#10 Guest: Yorkie_*

Guest: Yorkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:20

Always remember writing music is like writing a normal book-it has beginning, a middle exciting bit and an ending.You should have had some ideas just by reading other normal typed of music ? I had noticed a lot of music is repeated in places.

#11 Guest: Noodelz_*

• Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 15:23

QUOTE(Yorkie @ Apr 4 2006, 11:20 AM) View Post

Always remember writing music is like writing a normal book-it has beginning, a middle exciting bit and an ending.You should have had some ideas just by reading other normal typed of music ? I had noticed a lot of music is repeated in places.

And the great thing about that is most poeple don't notice it, especially if it is in the background. So if you have a great melody, don't be afraid to use it again straight after or near the end or anywhere!

#12 Guest: sarah828_*

Guest: sarah828_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 20:48

Never underestimate the power of repetition!! biggrin.gif

#13 Guest: Yorkie_*

Guest: Yorkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:57

QUOTE(Noodelz @ Apr 4 2006, 04:23 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Yorkie @ Apr 4 2006, 11:20 AM) View Post

And the great thing about that is most poeple don't notice it, especially if it is in the background. So if you have a great melody, don't be afraid to use it again straight after or near the end or anywhere!

I repeat a couple of bars every now and again in my own work