Crb Check

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: Suzi_*

Guest: Suzi_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 24 April 2006 - 20:47

I am a new teacher and wondered about whether a CRB clearance was recommended for teaching children? If so, being self-employed, how would you go about getting one? They won't do them for independent individuals. unsure.gif

I've had a look through some posts and can't find anything regarding this.

#2 Guest: PianistUK_*

Guest: PianistUK_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 20:48

QUOTE(Suzi @ Apr 24 2006, 09:47 PM) View Post

I am a new teacher and wondered about whether a CRB clearance was recommended for teaching children? If so, being self-employed, how would you go about getting one? They won't do them for independent individuals. unsure.gif

I've had a look through some posts and can't find anything regarding this.

Hi, I have access to CRB Checks, Depends what area you are in. If you let me know what area you are in, I will get the info of the person you should contact. I got a CRB through the church I am at.

#3 Guest: Suzi_*

• Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 20:50

I have clearance at present through my previous employment - was just wondering if I needed anything other than that or whether that one would be sufficient.

#4 Guest: neil.clarinet_*

Guest: neil.clarinet_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 20:54

Depends how recent it was. If it's more than a year old you really should update it, at least that's what the MU say. Are you in an organisation for teachers like the MU or ISM?

#5 Guest: Suzi_*

• Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 20:59

Not yet - I've requested an membership application for ISM though. Would you recommend this?

#6 Guest: JohnS_*

Guest: JohnS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:57

Every 18 months or so I go to my local police station to get a form. I fill it in, pay them some money and within a few weeks I have it! I've done it several times. No parent has ever wanted to see it though. My local County Music Service also do a separate one for me for working in schools.

ISM membership is very good. smile.gif

#7 Guest: gazdudeuk_*

Guest: gazdudeuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:22

Hi

As a private tutor i asked the police to do one (costs £10) and as i started at a school i also had school one done too.

#8 Guest: Lady Lucius_*

Guest: Lady Lucius_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:42

Hi

I looked into this as a private teacher and found this online

“The current legislation does not allow the self-employed or individuals to apply for a CRB check on themselves.” {Criminal Records Bureau 2005} http://www.disclosur...t.aspx?page=381

Since then I have one from the school I teach at but I really think they should open it to private teachers.

#9 Guest: jod_*

Guest: jod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:52

Suzi, the professionalism of you approach to starting teaching is excellent. I haven't had a separate CRB check for teaching purposes, but as I have enhanced disclosures through the County Education Service, Ely Diocese and The Scout Association, I am prepared to show a copy of that disclosure to any parent who wants to see.

What level is your current disclosure at, and when was it done. If you are at all concerned go and get a registered organisation to do one on your behalf.

#10 Guest: Suzi_*

• Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 23:00

Thanks Jod. I too have an Enhanced Disclosure from my church (I was a children's leader) which has probably expired now, but I have another Enhanced Disclosure with my current employer as I work with children there too. I think that will cover me. However, I will have to ensure that I keep it updated.

#11 Guest: JohnS_*

Guest: JohnS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:50

Have a look here.

This is what gazdudeuk and I have got. Why not look into that? smile.gif

#12 Guest: CET_*

Guest: CET_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 17:39

Hi,
Have a look at the Hofnote site, they say they can process CRB checks for music teachers.
hofnote.co.uk

#13 Guest: oboist_*

Guest: oboist_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 18:55

I warmly endorse getting CRB checks if you can - for your piece of mind, never mind your pupils!

Strange world isn't it? We don't allow elderly granny-type people into our schools to sharpen pencils without CRB clearance (when they will be in full public view, supervised etc) but the education world cheerfully allows all we private teachers to work, behind closed doors, 1:1 in our houses, churches etc (wherever we teach) and doesn't bat an eyelid. Doesn't seem much logic in the system I'm afraid. unsure.gif

#14 Guest: ruthiet_*

Guest: ruthiet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 14:18

I would agree you should get a crb or police check done, better to be safe than sorry. Although filling in the crb form is a nightmare!! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif