Flute Problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: Morgan's Munchkin_*

Guest: Morgan's Munchkin_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:56

Ok, so basically just recently i've been really struggling to get my flute apart after playing. Someone said that it may be that my hands are hot and slippery but i don't think thats the case, it just gets totally stuck. I had to ask my music teacher to pull it apart the other day, and wasn't too impressed when she grabbed it by the keys and just kinda yanked it (the last thing i need is a bent mechanism after spending more than i could afford on the actual flute). Does anyone have any ideas about how to stop this, i've been advised not to use any grease on it, and told to just polish the joints, which is fine until i go to pull it apart after about 2 hours of practice.

#2 Guest: Aileen_*

Guest: Aileen_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:14

Definetly polish the joints. I had this problem so i always polish the joints with a cloth and now i can get the flute apart no problem.

#3 Guest: Morgan's Munchkin_*

• Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:23

Yeah, polishing the joints seems to help it go together easier, but i still struggle to get it apart after practicing for a long while. The only solution i've found so far is taking it apart and polishing joints every now and again while i'm practicing but this can be a problem during large ensemble practices. Is there any other way of solving the problem.

#4 Guest: its so rock n roll_*

Guest: its so rock n roll_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:45

OK here's what you have to do, this may be difficult to explain!
Take the flute apart and apply Vaseline to the bottom of the head joinf or foot joint (the parts which attach to others) and then insert the head joint (or foot joint) as you normally would. Then sort of turn it around a bit, and like in and out, and then wipe the vaseline off with a cloth...you will see a lot of blak on the cloth. This just removes the oxdation from the joints and allows easier attaching at detaching. You should do thei about every three weeks, but be catse ful not to leave too much vaseline on (if any) as this can cause other problems.
Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions if you don't understand what i mean smile.gif
Alex xx

#5 Guest: nicki_flute_*

Guest: nicki_flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 14:02

I would advise against not using Vaseline at all. When I first started learning at 7, I was told to put flute oil on the joints! (shows how much people knew about flute playing), but this does more harm than good - it means dirt will collect and stick more easily than before, I really would warn against it smile.gif

#6 Guest: Juze_*

Guest: Juze_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 14:11

I agree with Nicki - never, ever use Vaseline on the flute. You shouldn't need to, if the flute joints fit properly. Twist it gently from side to side, not gripping it round the mechanism. But if there's the slightest dent in the joints, where the metal is very thin, then this will make the flute hard to put together or take apart.

#7 Guest: nicki_flute_*

Guest: nicki_flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 14:12

Make sure you get a cloth and clean both the inside and outside of the joint.

#8 Guest: Jessx_*

Guest: Jessx_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 14:22

Just as the others have said. There is nothing more then your flute need is then a good clean in the joints.

#9 Guest: Soph_*

Guest: Soph_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 16:10

Rather than use grease out of a pot on your flute, run your finger down the side of your nose and use a bit of the skin's natural grease on the joints. Not particularly nice, but better than Vaseline or other grease.

#10 Guest: its so rock n roll_*

Guest: its so rock n roll_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 17:36

Yes but the vaseline s just used to gather up oxidation and dirt then removd. I t really does work, and provided you clean the Vaseline off propperly does no damage smile.gif
Alex

#11 Guest: Kate_*

Guest: Kate_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 19:37

Someone at school yesterday tried to wrench her clarinet together so violently that the cork from the tenon just fell off! ohmy.gif I had never seen anything like it though, it had got so hot the cork had just swelled up so much it wouldn't fit in the socket!

#12 Guest: Morgan's Munchkin_*

• Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 22:45

Yeah, the joints are kept polished, and its not a problem to get together (gentlely twists into place), i just can't get it apart again, it gets totally stuck and wont even twist.

#13 Guest: sarah-flute_*

Guest: sarah-flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 16:45

QUOTE(its so rock n roll @ Jul 4 2006, 10:45 AM) View Post
OK here's what you have to do, this may be difficult to explain!
Take the flute apart and apply Vaseline to the bottom of the head joinf or foot joint

Could not DISagree more. Using Vaseline is not a good idea.

#14 Guest: Kflute_*

Guest: Kflute_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 16:49

Hold on, she's not saying to use vaseline to make it slide on. This I would avoid to the max. What's being suggested is to use a bit of vaseline to loosen the extra dirt and get that off, and the CLEAN THE VASELINE OFF. It wasn't being suggested to leave it on

#15 Guest: barry-clari_*

Guest: barry-clari_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 16:58

I'd also advise against using any form of grease on metal flute joints - it'll only attract more grit/dirt. A flute joint is NOT the same as cork clarinet joints.