Duets For Soprano - Sop/alto Any Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: lucietake2_*

Guest: lucietake2_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 10 July 2006 - 13:09

Hi everyone! I sing soprano and my sister sings soprano/alto depending on whats needed...and we are looking for some duets we can sing together. any ideas welcome! We've done the cats duet by rossini since we were very young as a party piece...but are looking for more fun things! oh and I'm about grade 7 while she is about grade 3. thanks! xxx

#2 Guest: pianoandflute_*

Guest: pianoandflute_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 17:14

i think 'flower duet' is for soprano and messo-soprano

#3 Guest: ultrasoprano_*

Guest: ultrasoprano_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:13

Everyone loves the female Duets from "Wicked"
kind of overdone- but lovely all the same

Christina

#4 Guest: thouston_*

Guest: thouston_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:05

The Flower Duet is lovely but also very hard!
How about the Barcarolle from "Tales of Hoffman" by Offenbach? It's a gorgeous tune and also very well known so your audience can hum along.
From musical theatre you could try Mungojerry and Rumpleteaser from Lloyd-Webber's "Cats" - to continue the cat theme; or another real fun piece is Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better from "Annie get your Gun". That was originally written as a male-female duet but would fit perfectly for a pair of sisters!

Good luck! smile.gif

#5 Guest: lucietake2_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:40

thanks very much everyone! i'll do some investigation into all that... xxx

#6 Guest: lucietake2_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 15:57

hey everyone...thanks for all that...we just spent 3 hours singing through a whole selection of music - from pie jesu to sally gardens...to love changes everything and doh re mi...ooh lots smile.gif xxxxxxxxx

#7 Guest: splodge_*

Guest: splodge_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:55

[What about Irving Berlin's 'Sisters', most notably performed by Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby in White Christmas.

#8 singer15

singer15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 4872
  • Slough (joy!)

Posted 20 July 2006 - 23:13

john rutter has written some fantastic stuff eg i will sing with the spirit.....what else have a look at some chilcott stuff as I know he has written some stuff for upper voices!

#9 ultrasoprano

ultrasoprano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Member: 4001

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:26

QUOTE(splodge @ Jul 13 2006, 10:55 PM) View Post

[What about Irving Berlin's 'Sisters', most notably performed by Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby in White Christmas.

very funny- i loved that part in the movie!

this has got some hard harmonies for the people new to harmonies, lots of parralleling and then some odd jumps
my sister and i did this for a talent show and it was a big hit- be sure to be comedic about it

#10 George Burrell

George Burrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Member: 3172

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:11

Help me someone..

I have heard at least one Mendelssohn duet at a wedding. He is the ideal type of composer for this combination.

Any titles?

#11 katy_mezzo

katy_mezzo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Member: 4243
  • Reading/ London

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:53

QUOTE(George Burrell @ Jul 25 2006, 05:11 AM) View Post

Help me someone..

I have heard at least one Mendelssohn duet at a wedding. He is the ideal type of composer for this combination.

Any titles?

A few years ago I sang a set of Mendelssohn duets for soprano and mezzo that were lovely and may be what you're thinking of. It was op.63 and we sang them in German, the title of the first one we performed was "Ich wollt' meine Lieb' ergösse sich" (or it also came with an English translation - "I would that my love"), and also in the set was "Gruss", and "Herbstlied".

I think there is a screenshot of "I would that my love" on musicroom.com so you can have a look and see if it's what you're looking for.

#12 thouston

thouston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Member: 2682
  • Lake Maggiore, North Italy

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:20

There's also a lovely setting of a Burns poem: "Oh wert thou in the cauld blast" or something similar. There is a whole book of Mendelssohn duets (which unfortunately I can't tell you the title of as it's in storage at the moment sad.gif ) which is well worth getting if you can track it down.

#13 Annetta

Annetta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Member: 6793

Posted 31 July 2006 - 16:36

QUOTE(singer15 @ Jul 21 2006, 12:13 AM) View Post

john rutter has written some fantastic stuff eg i will sing with the spirit.....what else have a look at some chilcott stuff as I know he has written some stuff for upper voices!

I will sing with the spirit is lovely...i have sung that with my teacher
All things bright and Beautiful by Rutter is great too and For the Beauty of The Earth is great and those are for Soprano and alto (mezzo soprano)

#14 cheeble

cheeble

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 2117
  • Cambridge, UK

Posted 31 July 2006 - 18:40

Mozart's duet for the countess and susanna from the marriage of figaro - great fun!!!