#1 nannyjay

nannyjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Member: 3566

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:26

Having become hooked on the recorder, I would love to join in with others and wondered if there were any suitable groups in the south of England? I'm not very advanced yet, but am working hard at it.

If there are no suitable groups already, would anyone be interested in forming one?

#2 benjaminja

benjaminja

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Member: 4784
  • Bristol

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:29

How far south is south?

#3 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:29

Which bit? South East, South West, London, home counties?

I'm sure there will be one not too far from you though, there seem to be many about.

#4 nannyjay

nannyjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:49

I live in Basingstoke, but happy to travel.

#5 benjaminja

benjaminja

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Member: 4784
  • Bristol

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:58

Ooh, if only I still lived in Southampton! Ah well.

#6 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16144 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:01

As it happens, there are branches of the Society of Recorder Players all over the place. Jo.Clarinet has been encouraging me to join the South London one, but there are also ones at Guildford and, I think, Winchester.

#7 CJB

CJB

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Member: 4076

Posted 17 August 2006 - 16:17

QUOTE(nannyjay @ Aug 17 2006, 12:49 PM) View Post

As KatyJay says there are society of recorder players groups in both Guildford and Winchester. I've had e-mail contact with the Guildford branch and they seem a friendly bunch......Winchester never responded to my e-mail (or it got lost in the ether!). I didn't follow either up as the meetings were all on days I had prior commitments for

If these aren't to your liking I live in Alton and would be more than happy to help form a group as long as it is on a 'for fun' basis.

#8 Suepea

Suepea

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts
  • Member: 299
  • Ashford Middlesex

Posted 17 August 2006 - 19:07

QUOTE(CJB @ Aug 17 2006, 05:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(nannyjay @ Aug 17 2006, 12:49 PM) View Post

As KatyJay says there are society of recorder players groups in both Guildford and Winchester. I've had e-mail contact with the Guildford branch and they seem a friendly bunch......Winchester never responded to my e-mail (or it got lost in the ether!). I didn't follow either up as the meetings were all on days I had prior commitments for

If these aren't to your liking I live in Alton and would be more than happy to help form a group as long as it is on a 'for fun' basis.

Yes, we are a friendly bunch at Guildford SRP. You would be welcome to come and try a meeting, Nannyjay. You would probably find it hard going at first, but it certainly gives you motivation to practice. I don't know what's on the music list for this season yet, but often a lot of it could be available beforehand. Give me a PM if you would like fuller details.

#9 nannyjay

nannyjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:10

Thanks everyone. I don't feel I am of a good enough standard for the Society of Recorder Players yet, but will keep this in mind ... I'm improving quite quickly.

CJB, I would be happy to talk over the forming of a local group. And of course just for fun. I don't want to get too serious about it either, but it would be lovely if we could find a few people and meet up occasionally. smile.gif PM me if you would like to talk it over.