Any Other Session Musicians Out There?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 10 January 2007 - 00:36

Just wondering if there were any other session musicians out there - where have you played? What do you play?

#2 Guest: Malone_*

• Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 16:52

I usually play the fiddle, but if it gets to fast and furious I swap to bodhran - don't have the notes or the key changes to worry about!! I've played in a few on the Isle of Skye - really mad, far to many free drinks!! But usually in Aberdeen, the more organised ones I guess... Not so many drinks. sad.gif Usually just scottish though, but in Skye can get a bit strange, we even did a new take on last of the mohicans - folk style - to a pub full of excited american tourists!

#3 Guest: Malone_*

• Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:48

We do actually, but i'm not sure where it got to though... If I find it I'll try and put it up...

#4 Scurra

Scurra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Member: 20464
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire

Posted 27 January 2008 - 17:32

QUOTE(Malone @ Jan 10 2007, 12:36 AM) View Post

Just wondering if there were any other session musicians out there - where have you played? What do you play?

I play Irish (and a bit of Scottish) folk fiddle, and sing English folk (badly) sometimes too. We do indeed tend to play jigs and reels: dotted hornpipes get tiring! I tend to just play with a few friends, and I've done a bit of busking, so I just roll out the tunes I know: usually play for 30 min straight stretches, stop for a breather and plunge back in...

My firend's Irish, and she curses me in Gealic if I fiddle too fast when she's playing the bodhran...

I'm a predominantly classical player (5 classical ensembles) but I love folk.