7 replies to this topic

#1 welltemperedklavier

welltemperedklavier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Member: 10735

Posted 28 May 2007 - 21:29

Im thinking of trying to advertise myself as a piano accompanist for some cash. Some people seem to think it would suit me as sightreading and technique seem to be strong points of mine and I can sightread almost anything thats thrown down in front of me (but just dont ask me to do anything without sheetmusic!!! ph34r.gif)...I can do fellowship level sightreading/quickstudy tests but I havnt actually got any diplomas yet.. no qualifications, but I could probably get references if that would help? I have no idea where to start basically! Any tips? Also, as I mentioned in the topic description, what should I charge?
Also, im assuming that accompanying alone wouldnt be enough to earn a living on so any more piano related ideas to keep me going for now? I dont know if teaching would be such a good idea right now as I could be moving elsewhere in the summer/autumn of 2008 so there wouldnt be much point in taking on any new students right now...

any help appreciated smile.gif piano.gif

#2 jm-hamilton

jm-hamilton

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2277 posts
  • Member: 2857
  • By the sea

Posted 28 May 2007 - 21:44

You could:-
-put an advert in your local music shop
-ask your local exam rep to recommend you to anyone looking for an accompanist
-advertise on the website musicteachers.co.uk - it doesn't cost anything to include your name
-let your local instrumental teachers know that you're available to accompany their pupils for exams
-see if any of the local choral societies need a rehearsal accompanist
-advertise your services in the local newspaper.

As to how much to charge, there have been many threads on this subject, and the answer as far as I can see is How long is a piece of string? biggrin.gif The website of the Incorporated society of Musicians gives some idea of what people charge for accompanying, so you could start there. However, rates vary in different parts of the country, and some people charge nothing for accompanying, while others charge quite a lot. It might be an idea to sound out what other people are charging before you settle on anything.

Good luck - you are right in assuming that it won't be enough to earn a living, at least not at first and not unless you are totally brilliant and everyone wants you to play for them. I think the majority of people teach as well, so when you are settled in your new area you could look for pupils. In the interim, what about playing in restaurants - that's the only one I can think of right now, other people will have better ideas.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#3 pialinist

pialinist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Member: 11875

Posted 13 June 2007 - 19:17

Charge what you see as a reasonable amount! wink.gif

#4 Katie1989

Katie1989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Member: 5875

Posted 13 June 2007 - 19:49

I charge the same as my teaching charges (£15 an hour), including practise time with the kid and the performance time, + something towards travel if its a way I suppose (everything I've done is local), and if its a hard accomp a little bit extra to make me feel like the extra time I put in was worth it!

#5 country girl

country girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Member: 11019
  • West Sussex

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:35

My accompanists I use for exams charge c£25 for a practice and the exam

#6 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 15 June 2007 - 13:55

My accompanist charges for time used at the same rate as his teaching rate.

#7 jo.clarinet

jo.clarinet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2780 posts
  • Member: 303
  • London

Posted 15 June 2007 - 14:02

QUOTE(sarah-flute @ Jun 15 2007, 02:55 PM) View Post

My accompanist charges for time used at the same rate as his teaching rate.

Same here! smile.gif

#8 welltemperedklavier

welltemperedklavier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Member: 10735

Posted 18 June 2007 - 21:49

Thank you all biggrin.gif yay.gif thanks.gif
That all helps, its a while since ive been on here so im replying kinda late I know! Seems most people charge the same as their teaching rate then...