#2836 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 08 March 2017 - 23:22

Well, I'm embarrassed all round. Firstly, here's a composer, Pietro Castrucci, of whom I'd never heard, and he's absolutely lovely. I'm embarrassed not to have come across him. And I realise I haven't been listening to Clara Cowley, which was also a mistake. And I'm also embarrassed because after years of complaining that music stopped around 1800, I've been absolutely captivated by a piece by Nicola Termoehlen, who even has a website (which I'm pretty sure makes her post-baroque). Ah well, you're never too old to learn.

#2837 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 20:56

I just read what Clara Cowley wrote about Castrucci on that YouTube recording. Ooooh!

#2838 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 20:37

I'm puzzled. Why is John Baston's second concerto for recorder and violins described as in "C" when so far as I can see it's scored for 6th flute (which is lowest-note D I think?) apparently in the key of F? Is this one of those fingering/transposition things that make my head get all confused? (Here, in a nicer recording, the same piece is described as his concerto no. 2 in D for descant recorder, and is indeed higher).

#2839 niobe

niobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Member: 86863
  • West Sussex

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:35

I just read what Clara Cowley wrote about Castrucci on that YouTube recording. Ooooh!

oooh, indeed! 

However, thanks for the post, Castrucci a new name to me too. 

#2840 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:43

who do you always return to? There are performers who are flashy, who seduce me, who amaze me. Then there are some to whom I will always return because although they don't flash at me, they just get everything right. This is Dorothee Oberlinger playing Corelli; it's expressive, beautiful, lively when it should be, calm when it should be, and it is so accurate. Every note is exactly right. The recording is top-notch too, the clarity superb, and the three performers perfectly balanced. I am full of admiration, happy, and wishing I could learn a fraction of what there is to learn from this.