Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16324 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:16

QUOTE(Dulcet @ May 10 2012, 12:00 PM) View Post

OK sadly looks like plastic trebles, tenors and basses are made my only a limited no of manufacturers. I was disappointed in the Yamahas myself but maybe the bigger ones are nicer. Worth tryng the Triebert I would think.

I've tried the Triebert tenor and bass. They're good instruments for their price - nice low registers on both, upper notes maybe not the same quality but still acceptable. The very top notes on the bass are a bit sensitive - I had to be very careful of my thumb position for top E, F and G.

The Triebert tenor is a little too stretchy for my hands (especially the G and D holes), but that's a personal thing. You can never tell what will suit you until you try it.

#1397 Dulcet

Dulcet

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • Member: 112579

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:26

QUOTE(katyjay @ May 10 2012, 12:16 PM) View Post

OK sadly looks like plastic trebles, tenors and basses are made my only a limited no of manufacturers. I was disappointed in the Yamahas myself but maybe the bigger ones are nicer. Worth tryng the Triebert I would think.

I've tried the Triebert tenor and bass. They're good instruments for their price - nice low registers on both, upper notes maybe not the same quality but still acceptable. The very top notes on the bass are a bit sensitive - I had to be very careful of my thumb position for top E, F and G.

The Triebert tenor is a little too stretchy for my hands (especially the G and D holes), but that's a personal thing. You can never tell what will suit you until you try it.

I have never been comfortable with the upper register D on my Aulos treble - even when I played a lot I ALWAYS split it, but never had any problems on my friend's Herwiga treble - but my Moeck treble is very out of tune in the upper register... leaving me somewhat vulnerable when asked to play...

#1398 CJB

CJB

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts
  • Member: 4076

Posted 10 May 2012 - 14:01

QUOTE(Dulcet @ May 10 2012, 12:26 PM) View Post

I have never been comfortable with the upper register D on my Aulos treble - even when I played a lot I ALWAYS split it, but never had any problems on my friend's Herwiga treble - but my Moeck treble is very out of tune in the upper register... leaving me somewhat vulnerable when asked to play...

Has anyone checked your Moeck treble and your thumb positioning? Some recorders are very very sensitive to having precisely the right opening to get the notes to speak in tune. Give me a shout if you want me to have a look at it for you.

#1399 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6027 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 10 May 2012 - 14:47

I tried every plastic descant in the shop and the Mollenhauer was by some long way the sweetest.think.

I have one of the all plastic see through Swings (well it looked cool) and I agree it sounds nice. However I'm a bit put off by the long beak. It doesn't feel quite right. I have Zen-on plastic descant and treble which I like.

However, I'm a rubbish recorder player so feel free to ignore me.

#1400 niobe

niobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Member: 86863
  • West Sussex

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:29

QUOTE(limh @ May 10 2012, 12:14 PM) View Post

Niobe, for what it's worth, my junk-shop treble went up about half a semitone when I cleaned it (it was filthy). It's also just possible it was a mysterious change in how I was playing as I'm a beginner without a good point of reference, but I do wonder it it just had something nasty stuck in it somewhere...

Thanks Limh. My descant is really clean and always kept in a cover. However, the fitting is quite loose but a return to regular practice may help. I've invested in a new music stand this week (surprised to find that there are still some reasonably priced ones around) so definitely feeling in a recorder playing mood and also looking forward to my new Aulos treble. smile.gif
piano.gif

#1401 katemorrisviolin

katemorrisviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Member: 322745
  • Guernsey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:06

I'm still waiting for my copy from musicroom dot com, which I ordered ages ago and is "awaiting shipment".... grrrrr! jealous!
I'm with you on the silly notes, limh.
I don't remember Charlotte Barbour-Condini using her elbows or knees when she won the woodwind final. laugh.gif

Edit: dispatched today, hurrah!

#1402 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6027 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:25

QUOTE(limh @ May 11 2012, 02:13 PM) View Post

but when even the experts say it won't sound beautiful but it will be impressive in performance, I begin to worry about what makes a performance impressive (surely beauty is essential?).

No beauty isn't essential. Sometimes ugly is what is called for. Proper recorder players may well correct me but I would be inclined to say forget all about end hole blocking and that sort of stuff until you are trying to play music which demands it.

#1403 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5422 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:58

Indeed, there are times when Ugly is the only way to go - I played a piece by Pete Rose once, which required Horrid Megaplus for some of its effects, which contrasted then with the other, genuinely more beautiful bits biggrin.gif.

Yes, endhole stuff is some way down the line, but it's surprising just how quickly one can land up there, sometimes, and you certainly don't need to be anything like professional to do it, I should know, I have ended up learning how, and the last time I counted I still had all me teef wink.gif. I did have one hilarious lesson with my teacher some years ago, I'll have told this story before, I know, but will be a bore and do so again: she and I have very different physiques, and it was amazing how differently we had to approach the bell-stopping problem for the different sizes of instrument, with lots of twisting of legs and hopping around giggling....

Just another tip - fingering charts, especially for anyone who has lost the one applicable to their instrument - this site has a huge range of fingerings for all sorts of makes and models. My treble happens to have a non-standard fingering for top G, and I couldn't work out why it was out of tune up at the top end, til I happened on the page for it, and bingo, can now play it in tune. The fingering is so non-standard I'd not even managed to find it by fiddling around with alternatives.

#1404 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:28

QUOTE(Arundodonuts @ May 10 2012, 03:47 PM) View Post

I tried every plastic descant in the shop and the Mollenhauer was by some long way the sweetest.think.

I have one of the all plastic see through Swings (well it looked cool) and I agree it sounds nice. However I'm a bit put off by the long beak. It doesn't feel quite right. I have Zen-on plastic descant and treble which I like.

However, I'm a rubbish recorder player so feel free to ignore me.

Zen-on is exactly what daughters recorder teacher would recommend (we don't have them). Maybe you know more than you think tongue.gif

#1405 katemorrisviolin

katemorrisviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Guernsey

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:50

I've just received my cheap yamaha sopranino and it has a husky sound on D, E and F, a sort of raspy sound on top of the note. I know it's not me; my friend's aulos sopranino doesn't do that when I play it so I wish I'd bought an aulos for two pounds more, what a cheapskate. If I blow harder the rasping sound almost dissapears, but it's annoying. I clearly need a better one. Recorders really do breed like rabbits don't they....I've been playing for less than 5 months and already I have four and am saving up for some nice wooden ones that I NEEEEEEEEEED.

#1406 katemorrisviolin

katemorrisviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Guernsey

Posted 12 May 2012 - 16:53

QUOTE(limh @ May 12 2012, 02:03 PM) View Post

Oooooooh, I hate hate hate C-sharp and D. I was getting on so well up to C, but these two sound hooorrrible and I'm having to blow a lot harder than for C. What am I doing wrong?? I'm scared that I have to get to grips with high notes. I've got a Boosey and Hawkes anthology for treble recorder (elderly, Oxfam!) where of the first 9 pieces (Renaissance) 7 live up in the stratospheric world of leger lines. Six don't descend below C (which makes me wonder why they're treble pieces at all - they're perfectly playable on a descant) and one descends a couple of times to a B-flat. They're all basically unplayable unless I can make my higher notes reliable, and bearable to human ears. Fed up. But determined. And grumpy. Sorry to moan.

I'm no expert by a very long way...but have you tried using the minimum of gap/pinch with the thumb to achieve the note? If you've opened the thumb hole more than necessary you have to blow harder to make the note sound, and the sound isn't so nice. The reason there's only one thumb hole, rather than two like for F and F# low notes, is that each higher pinched note needs subtle adjustment as you go up. Hopefully an expert will give you some more tips. Don't be grumpy! wink.gif

#1407 benjaminja

benjaminja

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Member: 4784
  • Bristol

Posted 12 May 2012 - 21:13

Has anyone played any Triebert recorders? Verdicts?

#1408 niobe

niobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Member: 86863
  • West Sussex

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:52

QUOTE(limh @ May 11 2012, 02:13 PM) View Post

Niobe, have fun, I'm so glad it's working out for you.

Thanks Limh.
Aulos treble arrived- fab and definitely in tune -unlike my poor old descant!
Purchased Hugh Orr's 'Basic Recorder Technique' -took a gamble and bought both volumes for the treble and thus far very pleased with vol 1. Slight criticism (and only slight) is that the photos of hand positions in vol 1 are poor and it is almost impossible to distinguish between the good and poor examples as the print is so dark. However, the text and exercises are clear and easy to follow.
Thanks everyone for all the recent recommendations and website links. clarinet.gif

#1409 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16324 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:15

QUOTE(benjaminja @ May 12 2012, 10:13 PM) View Post

Has anyone played any Triebert recorders? Verdicts?

Yes: a couple of posts back I said:

#1410 wendywoo

wendywoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Member: 72855
  • Canterbury

Posted 14 May 2012 - 13:37

QUOTE(limh @ May 14 2012, 02:17 PM) View Post

C-sharp and D woes on treble: Katemorris, thanks for ideas about thumb-hole. It's definitely getting better. I got myself (and am getting myself) in a bit of a thumb-hole mess, and am now finding that these notes seem to need a hole slightly smaller than C and below; too big a hole messes up pitch too. It will be a long time before my thumb gravitates to the right position for each note. Other mistake was choice of practice venue. Scary Notes requiring confidence should not be attempted for the first time in a Small Confined Space.

You also need to think about breath pressure, going from high C to D on treble is like going over a break, you're going into the next harmonic. increase your breath pressure, but be careful you don't tighten your throat as you think "Oh no! here comes that D, Panic!" Don't worry, it will come. smile.gif