Grade 8 Aural

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: Appassionata_*

Guest: Appassionata_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 20 August 2004 - 21:43

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about which book and / or CD would be best for me to work on my Grade 8 aural. There are so many out on the market. Thanks smile.gif

#2 Guest: cecilia_*

Guest: cecilia_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2004 - 21:47

Yes can someone answer this because I need it too!!! biggrin.gif

#3 Guest: hannah_*

Guest: hannah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:35

I borrowed my teacher's copy of Aural Training in Practice- I think it's by Ronald Smith. Anyway, I found it helpful as it has so many more practice tests. There are also some helpful tips and an optional CD to go with the book. I also used the Blue Aural book gr6-8.

#4 Guest: ping-lee_*

Guest: ping-lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 14:24

yeah, the 'aural training in practise' books/cds from ABRSM are good. I've got 'aural tests for the associated board practical examinations' by laurence perkins. have you heard of Ida Carroll? She did the first recordings of aural tests on cassette and they're good as well (one of my piano teachers had copies of them) but not sure if you can still get them as they were done it 1982! Anyway this CD is good because it gives you the answers for the aural tests. hope that helps and good luck with your grade 8 exam! smile.gif

#5 Guest: dacapo_*

Guest: dacapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 15:17

QUOTE (ping-lee @ Aug 21 2004, 02:24 PM)
have you heard of Ida Carroll? She did the first recordings of aural tests on cassette and they're good as well (one of my piano teachers had copies of them) but not sure if you can still get them as they were done it 1982! smile.gif

The aural tests were completely reorganised in the early 1990s, to my mind removing some really useful stuff like interval recognition, so although they may be an interesting challenge I'm afraid they won't be completely relevant to the current exam syllabus.

#6 Guest: tubauk_*

Guest: tubauk_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2004 - 22:02

the following url gives some free aural training resources - i haven't used them all but I know that auralia works very well.
http://www.harmony-c...r_training.html

hope this helps