• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: jaime_*

Guest: jaime_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:31

hiya

i was having one of those mad moments the other day when you start finking abour the future, initially i wanted to be a music teacher, then i wanted to be a child pschotherapist. well i got in to such a fuss stressing and i couldnt choose (you've more than likely been there yourself) i was thinkin, just because i do music doesnt necessarily mean i have to have a career in music, then i thought well im not that good at anything esle except................ and so on!!! (you know how it goes) TEENAGE CRISIS!!!!

well then i come across music therapist and it does seem really good and interesting! does anybody know anybody that is training to be a therapist or is thinking along those lines??

jaime

#2 Guest: tamsin_*

Guest: tamsin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:15

Nope, but sounds interesting~ let us know if you manage to find anything out.

#3 Guest: Juze_*

Guest: Juze_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:23

One of my friends is a music therapist. The training is hard, and you normally need a music degree first. But it's very worthwhile if that's what you really want to do.

You can find out more at http://www.bsmt.org

Hope this helps.

#4 Guest: Helen_*

Guest: Helen_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:09

Id like to be a music therapist. I have been reading up on it, and it sounds like a really rewarding and worthwhile career.

#5 Guest: Helen_*

Guest: Helen_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:09

Plus, id like to do a degree in music therapy

#6 Guest: ping-lee_*

Guest: ping-lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 19:13

sounds interesting! biggrin.gif

#7 Guest: jaime_*

Guest: jaime_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:58

HIYA!!!

well here goes............

to become a music therapist you must........

1) firstly complete a degree in music, although music is prefered related degrees such as teachin, psychologyetc are accepted as long as the applicant demonstrates good musical skills

2) you then have to apply at a traing school/college/Uni that runs an accredited course (this means that you can then be chartered as a proffesional therapist or summat like that) and the course you do is either a diploma, or a masters in music therapy

from what i can work out it is very hard to get into because of the whole application process, you need to have good improvisation skills, musicianship, aural and keyboard skills. you also have to have the right personality for the job.

and it sounds like a really rewarding and worthwhile career.

i agree, working with children is always something i would like to do....... espcially within music,

Hope this helps.

thanl you!!! it did!!

anybody else thinking of this career??

#8 Guest: its so rock n roll_*

Guest: its so rock n roll_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2004 - 18:49

QUOTE (jaime @ Aug 23 2004, 09:31 AM)
hiya

i was having one of those mad moments the other day when you start finking abour the future, initially i wanted to be a music teacher, then i wanted to be a child pschotherapist.

omg you sound exactly like me lol, next you'll be saying you're a flautist and clarinetise and you're 14 and live in NW lol
I wanted to be a music teacher and then a psychaitrist (sp) and then I heard about a music therapist and thought 'wow this is my dream job!' but I've decieded against it now because its not the kind of therapyI want to do. I think I'll probably end up being a music teacher.
Good luck with whatever you do!
Alex
xxxx

#9 Guest: Cyrilla_*

Guest: Cyrilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2004 - 23:23

A friend of mine trained at Nordoff-Robbins to be a music therapist recently. She already had a music degree and had worked as a secondary music teacher. The training is really tough!

She now works for the local music service and works with children in special units at mainstream schools as well as individuals at the music centre.

Some of the stories she tells me of successes and breakthroughs just have me in tears...no way I could do this job!

It has just brought home to me more than ever what tremendous power music has, to touch and reach children with physical and mental problems, aggression, violence, autism, Downs Syndrome and so on...

I give money every month to a wonderful charity called Jessie's Fund (www.jessiesfund.org) which was set up 10 years ago in memory of a nine year-old girl called Jessica George who was a keen musician and who died of a brain tumour. Victoria Wood is a patron. JF raises money for instruments and therapists to work in children's hospices throughout the country. Some of the comments from parents are heart-rending...

So, what I'm trying to say is - music therapy is a wonderful, wonderful thing, and if you feel you have the necessary qualities to become one then GO FOR IT!!

As they used to say, music touches the parts that other things don't...