Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5507 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:43

I was at home on Firefox yesterday so everything looked pretty normal here (except for the lack of bold and italic) Today I am at work on IE8, so I can see (or rather not see) what people mean about the almost invisible text!

#13412 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40912 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:44

Rules of traffic lights in Paris.

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

#13413 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5335 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:29

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Nov 1 2012, 10:44 AM) View Post

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

It isn"t just in Paris !

But apparantly a lot of them have nasty little cameras hidden inside and you can get fined for amber = go and red = go.

We now have "radar pedagogique" as well. These are supposed to show you your speed as you approach the real radar a few yards ahead. Apparantly the French have been mistaking them for the real thing, slowing down as they pass them and then accelerating just in time to get flashed by the real thing! Well someone has to fill the govenrment's coffers!

#13414 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40912 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:46

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Nov 1 2012, 04:29 PM) View Post

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

It isn"t just in Paris !

But apparantly a lot of them have nasty little cameras hidden inside and you can get fined for amber = go and red = go.

laugh.gif thanks for the warning, Aquarelle! I'm planning to go back to France in summer 2013 on forum duty : a thread will appear in due course... biggrin.gif

#13415 Swell Box

Swell Box

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts
  • Member: 53694
  • The Land of Harrison & Harrison

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:48

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Nov 1 2012, 09:44 AM) View Post

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

Did you know the same rules apply to white vans driven in the UK. I think sales Reps have a similar code of conduct too.

Actually, I would like to get hold of a copy of the Van Driver's Highway Code, as a lot of them seem to use hand signals that I cannot recall being taught by my driving instructor. unsure.gif

In fact, I saw a van driver use one of these hand signals to an unmarked Police car on the A1M, and I don't think the policeman recognised the had signal either because he pulled the van driver over for a chat. tongue.gif

SB

#13416 BerkshireMum

BerkshireMum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • Member: 13405
  • West Berks

Posted 01 November 2012 - 21:08

QUOTE(Swell Box @ Nov 1 2012, 05:48 PM) View Post

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

Did you know the same rules apply to white vans driven in the UK. I think sales Reps have a similar code of conduct too.

Actually, I would like to get hold of a copy of the Van Driver's Highway Code, as a lot of them seem to use hand signals that I cannot recall being taught by my driving instructor. unsure.gif

In fact, I saw a van driver use one of these hand signals to an unmarked Police car on the A1M, and I don't think the policeman recognised the had signal either because he pulled the van driver over for a chat. tongue.gif

SB

When I went on my speed awareness course (which personally I feel ought to be a "speed camera" awareness course!) I was surprised to learn that the speed limit for white vans is 60mph, as for lorries. Anyone ever been overtaken on the motorway by a white van doing 85mph? biggrin.gif

#13417 polkadot

polkadot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:05

If anyone in the Leeds area needs a boiler repairer/installer, I can recommend several who:
- flood the garage
- flood the airing cupboard
- want to dig up the floor of your house to fit new gas pipes
- want to replace the water cylinder as well as the boiler
- are good at spinning yarns and trying to rip you off

Or I could recommend the Very Nice Man who finally came along to put everything right, without digging up the floor, causing any floods, needing to replace the cylinder or ripping me off... hurrah.gif

#13418 Swell Box

Swell Box

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts
  • Member: 53694
  • The Land of Harrison & Harrison

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:05

QUOTE(BerkshireMum @ Nov 1 2012, 09:08 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Swell Box @ Nov 1 2012, 05:48 PM) View Post

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

SB

When I went on my speed awareness course (which personally I feel ought to be a "speed camera" awareness course!) I was surprised to learn that the speed limit for white vans is 60mph, as for lorries. Anyone ever been overtaken on the motorway by a white van doing 85mph? biggrin.gif

I believe this is true.

More to the point, there is usually a 40 or 50 MPH speed limit around motorway road works, often enforced by a nondescript looking white van with a camera sticking out of it. No doubt the thousands of 60 GBP speeding fines are used to pay for the road repairs being carried out. sad.gif

However, I digress. We are told that the speed limits are imposed to protect the workforce. I have two arguments with this. Firstly, how often do you see anybody actually working on the road? And secondly, if the speed limit only exists to protect the workforce, why are vans with Motorway Maintenance emblazoned on them exempt from any speed limit? unsure.gif

I believe we should be told. smile.gif

SB

#13419 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6885 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:38

I bought a hairdryer from Argos today. It was supposed to be a ?20 hairdryer reduced to ?13 (so if it ends up making my hair all frizzy and awful like they did 15-20 years ago I won't have wasted a huge amount of money). They told me when I paid for the hairdryer that it might be substituted with a different model of an equivalent or higher specification. I was given a different hairdryer, and when I got home and looked up the hairdryer I found that the one they'd given me normally retails at ?70. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif I think I'm scared of it now. blush.gif

#13420 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6336 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:39

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Nov 1 2012, 05:46 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Nov 1 2012, 04:29 PM) View Post

Green = go

Amber = go

Red = go

It isn"t just in Paris !

laugh.gif thanks for the warning, Aquarelle! I'm planning to go back to France in summer 2013 on forum duty : a thread will appear in due course... biggrin.gif

Important rule if you're a pedestrian:
Red Man = The cars aren't going to stop for you but you can see them coming.
Green Man = The cars aren't going to stop for you but they are coming from round a corner so you can't see them coming.

Conclusion: It is safer to look carefully and cross with the red man than to wait for the green man.

#13421 BerkshireMum

BerkshireMum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • West Berks

Posted 01 November 2012 - 23:41

QUOTE(Flossie @ Nov 1 2012, 11:38 PM) View Post

I bought a hairdryer from Argos today. It was supposed to be a ?20 hairdryer reduced to ?13 (so if it ends up making my hair all frizzy and awful like they did 15-20 years ago I won't have wasted a huge amount of money). They told me when I paid for the hairdryer that it might be substituted with a different model of an equivalent or higher specification. I was given a different hairdryer, and when I got home and looked up the hairdryer I found that the one they'd given me normally retails at ?70. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif I think I'm scared of it now. blush.gif

I am at a loss to know how a hair drier can possibly cost as much as ?70! Is it gold plated?

#13422 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6885 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 02 November 2012 - 00:57

QUOTE(BerkshireMum @ Nov 1 2012, 11:41 PM) View Post

I am at a loss to know how a hair drier can possibly cost as much as ?70! Is it gold plated?

It's this one. http://www.argos.co....ber/4435107.htm I paid just over ?13 for it, which is less that 20% of its retail price. wacko.gif

It has dried my hair very nicely, with plenty of curls and no frizz. I hadn't used a hairdryer for around 15-20 years because they always used to make my hair ridiculously frizzy (or at least my Mam's one did). I'm rather pleased with my purchase, but there's no way I'd have paid the full price. laugh.gif

#13423 louise1712

louise1712

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7267 posts
  • Member: 68484
  • London

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:42

QUOTE(Swell Box @ Nov 1 2012, 04:48 PM) View Post

SB

I don't, but then my van is red biggrin.gif

#13424 ansatz496

ansatz496

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Member: 396486
  • Across the pond

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:39

Still no electricity at home (currently posting from elsewhere) after the hurricane passed through on Monday, which is an inconvenience... but reading about some of the damage certainly puts things in perspective. I'm currently feeling very grateful that nobody I love was smashed by falling trees blink.gif

#13425 BerkshireMum

BerkshireMum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • West Berks

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:17

QUOTE(Flossie @ Nov 2 2012, 01:57 AM) View Post

QUOTE(BerkshireMum @ Nov 1 2012, 11:41 PM) View Post

It's this one. http://www.argos.co....ber/4435107.htm I paid just over ?13 for it, which is less that 20% of its retail price. wacko.gif

It has dried my hair very nicely, with plenty of curls and no frizz. I hadn't used a hairdryer for around 15-20 years because they always used to make my hair ridiculously frizzy (or at least my Mam's one did). I'm rather pleased with my purchase, but there's no way I'd have paid the full price. laugh.gif

I must admit, it does look a beautiful drier - very stylish. I'd defintiely pay ?13+ for it! biggrin.gif