Scratching Noises From The Attic!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: lucky045_*

Guest: lucky045_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:36

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif Ok, I'm scared. Our cat caught and killed a rat a few days ago, left it outside the door, and suddenly I'm hearing loud scratching noises from the attic above my room... Scurrying noises too, so it's not just mice. This happened once before, in our kitchen, but much louder - and we had strip lighting in there at the time, the rat got into the hollow bit where the light was, and managed to scratch through, and poked its nose into the kitchen - utterly terrifying. Rats are one of the things I'm most scared of... and I live in between two fields!

Anybody here who knows if it sounds like a rat? No squeaking, but scurrying and scratching. I don't have strip lighting in here - do you think it could get through the ceiling?

I'm scared to sleep!

ph34r.gif

#2 Phil Dixon

Phil Dixon

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Member: 10416
  • Northampton

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:40

It could well be rats. If so, nip up to your hardware store and get some warfarin. That'll sort the little ######s.

#3 ad_libitum

ad_libitum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2438 posts
  • Member: 8699
  • N.Ireland

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:43

When we've had field mice in, the scratching can sound really loud depending on where they are, so it could just be a wee mousie.

Better to make sure though and get some poison down!

edit.. p.s - if you're using traps, they love chocolate smile.gif

#4 Phil Dixon

Phil Dixon

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Member: 10416
  • Northampton

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:45

QUOTE(lucky045 @ Nov 22 2007, 10:36 PM) View Post

Anybody here who knows if it sounds like a rat? No squeaking, but scurrying and scratching. I don't have strip lighting in here - do you think it could get through the ceiling?

I'm scared to sleep!

ph34r.gif

Could be a ghost! ohmy.gif

#5 ad_libitum

ad_libitum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2438 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:46

QUOTE(Phil Dixon @ Nov 22 2007, 10:45 PM) View Post

QUOTE(lucky045 @ Nov 22 2007, 10:36 PM) View Post

I'm scared to sleep!

ph34r.gif

Could be a ghost! ohmy.gif

Like the start of "The Exorcist"? Be more worried if there are no rats laugh.gif

#6 mcm

mcm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Member: 10395
  • Scotland

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:46

Could be a mouse - they scurry a lot too. Can you put the cat in the attic? Or sleep in the spare room / on a sofa somewhere else.

We had a cat that just loved going into the attic - as soon as we got the stepladder positioned under the hatch she would be up it in a flash. The difficulty was persuading her to come out again....

#7 Guest: BusyBee_*

Guest: BusyBee_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:47

Could it be squirrels getting in? We get loads of the little grey creatures as we have a huge oak tree in the garden and they are always busying around. Having said that we had a rat hole under the kitchen a few years ago. The council environmental health people will deal with it for free if you give them a ring. After that I heard stratching and scurrying in our attic - I called them again and they only found mice business up there! Haven't heard much noise this year.

I would give the council a call - good luck wacko.gif

#8 Guest: lucky045_*

• Guests

Posted 22 November 2007 - 22:52

I've never seen The Exorcist I was put off at the age of ten from a special visit from a friend of my mum - my brother, and his friend (mum's friend's son) had got hold of it secretly, my brother's friend was traumatised and having nightmares. My brother was too, and I'd always thought of him as oh-so-brave so I assumed it must be utterly horrifying. Anyway I didn't think of ghosts! ph34r.gif

Our cat can't go up into the attic - we were all astounded she caught the first rat. She's such a runt she'd be eaten alive if there were more than one. We'll have to phone a rat man, if it turns out to be rats, but our attic is almost impossible to get into (for humans!) the people who owned our house before us, built a bit so that in order to get into the attic, you have to put a long ladder on the stairs - not very safe.

Squirrels wouldn't be half as scary! I like that idea.. but the scratching starts at night, are squirrels more likely to move during the day?

#9 ad_libitum

ad_libitum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2438 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 22 November 2007 - 23:01

QUOTE(lucky045 @ Nov 22 2007, 10:52 PM) View Post

I've never seen The Exorcist I was put off at the age of ten from a special visit from a friend of my mum - my brother, and his friend (mum's friend's son) had got hold of it secretly, my brother's friend was traumatised and having nightmares. My brother was too, and I'd always thought of him as oh-so-brave so I assumed it must be utterly horrifying. Anyway I didn't think of ghosts! ph34r.gif

Didn't mean to scare you! The film was banned for a while, but compared to the gore you see now, it's not scary in that sense. The book is good...if you like that sort of thing smile.gif

Anyway I'm sure it's either rats or mice. Mice are probably more likely. We have managed to block most of the places we think they were getting in and didn't have any last year, although there's always that opportunity when I nip out with the dog at night and leave the back door open for minute..oops!

You hear them during the day sometimes but usually it's a night. It sounds really close but it's usually just because the noise is amplified through the floorboards.

Keep your bedroom free of crumbs if you can. Any that have been spotted in our house have been in my sister's disgusting room (old pizza boxes etc...), so I can sleep quite soundly wink.gif

#10 Guest: lucky045_*

• Guests

Posted 22 November 2007 - 23:27

QUOTE(ad_libitum @ Nov 22 2007, 11:01 PM) View Post

QUOTE(lucky045 @ Nov 22 2007, 10:52 PM) View Post

Didn't mean to scare you! The film was banned for a while, but compared to the gore you see now, it's not scary in that sense. The book is good...if you like that sort of thing smile.gif

Anyway I'm sure it's either rats or mice. Mice are probably more likely. We have managed to block most of the places we think they were getting in and didn't have any last year, although there's always that opportunity when I nip out with the dog at night and leave the back door open for minute..oops!

You hear them during the day sometimes but usually it's a night. It sounds really close but it's usually just because the noise is amplified through the floorboards.

Keep your bedroom free of crumbs if you can. Any that have been spotted in our house have been in my sister's disgusting room (old pizza boxes etc...), so I can sleep quite soundly wink.gif

Haha don't worry I'm not scared of ghosts... Although I read your post, and as it happens I'm reading "Strange Meeting" at the moment - on the front is a picture of a soldier with a shadow so you can't see his eyes - but the copy I got from school has been in circulation since 1987, and there is an eerie sort of scratching where the eyes should be, making the picture look veeery sinister... I read your post, and glanced straight at it! Spooky.

I'll talk to my dad tomorrow. Thankfully my room is very neat and clean so I won't worry too much, and I'll blame it on some field mice for now. biggrin.gif

#11 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:57

Call in the pest man asap. Rodents can cause damage to electric wiring and squirrels will destroy insulating material at the drop of a hat. Then beg an old cat blanket from a friend with a smelly cat and cut it up into squares and leave them in the attic. The smell of a cat will usually deter the most determined of rats and mice.

#12 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13834 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:06

Several of my neighbours have had squirrels in the loft, fortunately they havent invaded us, though they are getting to be a pest in garden (no crocuses any more, all dug up and eaten)
One neighbour did call in experts. Unfortunately the squirrels had built a nest in his loft and had babies, and he was not allowed by law to get rid of them. He couldnt block the hole in the soffit where they were getting in. I think they eventually went of their own accord.

Also they get into a hollow aluminium telegraph pole which provides phone lines for about 8 houses. The squirrels gnaw the wires, and one or other of us is always having BT round to repair the wiring.

#13 my_broken_strings

my_broken_strings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Member: 12263

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:51

scary story! you can make it to horror scenario!

anyway, that's maybe just rats or other kind of animals, don't worry.. smile.gif

#14 Ms.Fiddle

Ms.Fiddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Member: 17605
  • Derby

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:56

Can't you open your loft hatch and lure them out Pied Piper style?

tongue.gif

#15 janexxx

janexxx

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5049 posts
  • Member: 3016
  • Sunny Derbyshire UK

Posted 23 November 2007 - 16:26

You could try one of these