#1 RecorderFan

RecorderFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Member: 12458
  • Port Elizabeth

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:56

I want to do a study on the development of recorder building techniques from the Renaissance through Modern times. Is there any literature available on this?I've done some searches on the net, and I am now looking for some printed lit.

Or is there anyone who has done a similar study that I can contact?

#2 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12699 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 06 December 2007 - 14:40

Try contacting Dr Brian Blood at Dolmetsch (you could say I suggested that he might be able to help).

smile.gif

#3 RecorderFan

RecorderFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Port Elizabeth

Posted 06 December 2007 - 14:48

Great! Thanks! I'll contact him!

#4 nickjones8

nickjones8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Member: 17610
  • Leicester

Posted 06 December 2007 - 18:44

QUOTE(RecorderFan @ Dec 6 2007, 02:48 PM) View Post

Great! Thanks! I'll contact him!

There used to be quite a lot of books about the recorder (I read them all when I used to play, about 30 years ago!) Try Anthony Baines: Woodwind Instruments and their History, if it's still in print.

#5 salrec

salrec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Member: 7243

Posted 06 December 2007 - 21:49

My mind is a bit of a blank tonight, but recently I've seen a review of a book, a sort of biography of a recorder maker. I wonder if that would have any useful leads. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I saw a copy on a stand at the Early Music Show in November . . .

The Cambridge Companion to the Recorder is a good read and has an extensive list of further reading at the back.

I agree with Cyrilla, talk to Brian Blood, I think they have quite an extensive archive.

Is your study for a degree/diploma, or just something for your own interest? I'm sure lots of us here would like the opportunity to read the finished version.

#6 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5379 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:15

QUOTE(salrec @ Dec 6 2007, 09:49 PM) View Post
The Cambridge Companion to the Recorder is a good read and has an extensive list of further reading at the back.

Yes, I was going to suggest this book - I had a look at it this morning, and it has a whole chapter of suggestions for further reading. The 'history' section mostly seemed concerned with the history of recorder music but there was at least one reference to actual instrument history (with a comment that it's not an extensively written about field!)

The Recorder Home Page has a big history section, I'm sure you have already seen it, but here is a link to its reference page. There are a lot of books listed there (after the journals). Most of them aren't about history, but some of them are - and I'm sure those will have extensive bibliographies - I hope you have a library big enough to find some of them biggrin.gif

Also, if you have access anywhere to Grove dictionary of Music, you'll find the entry for Recorder has an extensive bibliography. If you don't have access, I do biggrin.gif

#7 RecorderFan

RecorderFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Port Elizabeth

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:15

QUOTE(salrec @ Dec 6 2007, 11:49 PM) View Post

My mind is a bit of a blank tonight, but recently I've seen a review of a book, a sort of biography of a recorder maker. I wonder if that would have any useful leads. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I saw a copy on a stand at the Early Music Show in November . . .

I agree with Cyrilla, talk to Brian Blood, I think they have quite an extensive archive.

Is your study for a degree/diploma, or just something for your own interest? I'm sure lots of us here would like the opportunity to read the finished version.

I want to start with my Masters next year. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do it on - only really deciced to it a month ago! So everything is still in the beginnig stages.

Still throwing some ideas for topics around, but I'm very much leaning toward the development of the construction techniques of the recorder from the Renaissance to the Modern era (or something! Still very broad!)

As I said before, the town I come from doesn't have much info on my instrument at all so I will have to order book from abroad. Not that I mind! I LOVE books and just doing random research.

Have some other ideas, but they are much more one a doctorate level so that will have to wait for another time...

Wil definitely contact Brian Blood. Thanx!

QUOTE(Maizie @ Dec 7 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post

QUOTE(salrec @ Dec 6 2007, 09:49 PM) View Post

Yes, I was going to suggest this book - I had a look at it this morning, and it has a whole chapter of suggestions for further reading. The 'history' section mostly seemed concerned with the history of recorder music but there was at least one reference to actual instrument history (with a comment that it's not an extensively written about field!)

The Recorder Home Page has a big history section, I'm sure you have already seen it, but here is a link to its reference page. There are a lot of books listed there (after the journals). Most of them aren't about history, but some of them are - and I'm sure those will have extensive bibliographies - I hope you have a library big enough to find some of them biggrin.gif

Also, if you have access anywhere to Grove dictionary of Music, you'll find the entry for Recorder has an extensive bibliography. If you don't have access, I do biggrin.gif

Have access to the Grove. Will definitely take a look there. Thanks!

#8 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 07 December 2007 - 22:35

Edgar Hunt's book on the history of the recorder is a good read too. An interesting project would be to look into how playing techniques influenced recorder design and vice verse.