#19231 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4168 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 19 May 2017 - 13:37

Just ambushed/ gatecrashed a piano student's wedding, with sopranino recorder concealed in cleavage (avoiding use of euphonium on this occasion!) and played "Here comes the Bride" when she arrived in car. Had been invited to the evening disco but I didn't think they would be playing any Shostakovich, and decided that the Wagnergram idea would be much more fun! (Also the disco clashed with brass band practice night so...) Official photographer didn't seem to be doing alot, so I did the honours there too while I was at it. Will student kill me? What do you reckon?

#19232 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 19 May 2017 - 14:38

Would the euphonium have been capable of playing Widor's toccata ?

#19233 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4168 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 19 May 2017 - 16:03

In the hands of a proper brass player, probably yes!

#19234 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 22:30

Well,it was yesterday (but still today for you Brits) ... seeing an absolutely gorgeous huge mainly deep pink but varicoloured rose in my elderly friend's garden, complete with rain drops. Perfection!

Thanks for the photos of your beautiful columbines, TV. I've never heard of or seen those before. The flowers that get me excited (apart from those amazing roses) are peonies. Rarely seen here but I once saw a show by a peony society - such variety there! Also of course orchids can range from incredibly beautiful to very weird indeed.

#19235 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:34

@Older Aussie - I have some peonies, they take a while to establish. One in the back is ok the Ines in the front have yet to settle....

#19236 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Born and bred in Derby. Live within sight of Bolsover Castle.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:28

Just back from a church wedding, where I directed Parry's "I was glad". Not many couples ask for that whilst they are signing the register!

#19237 DaisyChain2

DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 20 May 2017 - 14:05

Just back from a church wedding, where I directed Parry's "I was glad". Not many couples ask for that whilst they are signing the register!

Wonderful- I love "I was glad".  :wub:

#19238 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 20 May 2017 - 22:08

Wonderful- I love "I was glad".  :wub:

Same here.

Last heard it a couple of weeks ago when there was a combined Evensong at Christchurch with New College and Magdalen choirs joining in.  Good "raise the roof" stuff.   (they also did something more metrical with the psalm than the first time they combined, which meant it stayed together ... each choir has a rather different way of phrasing psalm chant!)

#19239 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1398 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted Yesterday, 13:55

I have a brother and sister who take lessons with me. They used to practice well, but for the last three or four months there have been problems in the family and not much practice has been completed. Things have begun to settle down a bit, and both came this week with beautifully polished pieces. I'm so glad to have them back in their old ways, and to hear them playing so musically.

#19240 klavierkat

klavierkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Member: 48848
  • Weybridge, Surrey

Posted Today, 20:15

With the arrival of warm weather it was lovely today to brush down the decking, arrange the pot plants, get out the garden furniture, and enjoy the sunshine, anticipating all those lovely summer evenings ahead.