#1 Music...

Music...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Member: 71223

Posted 03 August 2009 - 23:16

Hello everyone!

I have been informed that if I'm able to get my grade 4 cello, I can start a new instrument! Yay! Someone suggested a woodwind instrument and I was quite into the idea! biggrin.gif
So when I told my cello teacher she suddenly said something quite interesting! She said that woodwind wouldn't suit me and that I should stick with strings as violinists, cellists etc. tend to be quiet and it matches with my personality!

So tell me what you think! Do you think that certain catergories (e.g. woodwind) suit different people or is it completely random to you? happy.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

#2 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 03 August 2009 - 23:23

I play woodwind and strings, so by that token I must have multiple personalities laugh.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

I do think that certain people find certain families of instruments easier to get a handle on than others, but. meaning no disrespect to your teacher, I think it's a good deal more complex than "shy people should play strings" smile.gif

#3 Guest: SueHM_*

Guest: SueHM_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 03 August 2009 - 23:37

I think there is some truth in this, although it can't be reduced to broad generalisations. Perhaps it is worth thinking about the differences in the roles of various instruments. As a string player in an orchestra, you will be part of a group and generally not particularly exposed, whereas as a woodwind player you could well be the only one playing your part, and be required to play solos on occasion. Either this appeals to you or not.

On the whole, I would always advise someone to take up an instrument they like the sound of and that appeals to them - you are much more likely to enjoy playing it and succeed.

There is a book called something like "The right instrument for your child" that looks at various instruments from a physical and psychological perspective and tries to help parents match up their child with a suitable instrument - you might find it interesting to dip in to.

Can you try a few different instruments before you decide on the one for you? Many woodwind and brass teachers teach several different instruments and would let you try them all before making a decision.

#4 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6902 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 03 August 2009 - 23:45

QUOTE(sarah-flute @ Aug 4 2009, 12:23 AM) View Post

I play woodwind and strings, so by that token I must have multiple personalities laugh.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

Same here. laugh.gif

Did cello first, then flute. Stopped cello at end of school (had a school instrument). Now play flute, violin, recorders, clarinet and piccolo. ph34r.gif I'm also a very out of practice soprano and would like an alto flute. smile.gif

Not sure what this say about me, or the theories being suggested. laugh.gif

#5 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:41

It seems that Pianists are generally considered to be a bit crazy for some reason.... Must be all that time alone practicing!

I must admit that Piano suits me as I never like to depend on anyone else for anything. Piano is perfect as I don't need an accompanist for starters tongue.gif

#6 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5588 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:50

QUOTE(SueHM @ Aug 4 2009, 12:37 AM) View Post
I think there is some truth in this, although it can't be reduced to broad generalisations.
Absolutely agree. It may be, if someone did a proper analysis of musicians and their personalities, that you do get some 'general rules' turn up. BUT, you are also bound to find exceptions to those rules - people are people, and people come in all sorts of 'combinations' despite any rules a study might show. A study would show you trends, not absolute hard and fast rules.
If you listen to what you are told, you will end up fitting the rules because you believe the rules exist so you conform to the predicted type. But unless you try, you'll never know if you're one of those exceptions (or, indeed, if the 'rule' is complete nonsense anyway!)

#7 TSax

TSax

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts
  • Member: 5567

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:14

I've just returned from the Just Flutes summer school (for the umpteenth time) where a saxophone course and a flute course run alongside each other. You can usually work out within a couple of minutes of meeting someone whether they're a flute or a saxophone. There's often one or two surprises though.

#8 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40920 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:18

QUOTE(Music... @ Aug 4 2009, 12:16 AM) View Post

Hello everyone!

I have been informed that if I'm able to get my grade 4 cello, I can start a new instrument! Yay! Someone suggested a woodwind instrument and I was quite into the idea! biggrin.gif
So when I told my cello teacher she suddenly said something quite interesting! She said that woodwind wouldn't suit me and that I should stick with strings as violinists, cellists etc. tend to be quiet and it matches with my personality!

So tell me what you think! Do you think that certain catergories (e.g. woodwind) suit different people or is it completely random to you? happy.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

I'd say if there's a woodwind instrument you really, really like the sound of, and you want to have a go at playing it, then go for it : I shouldn't worry too much about it 'matching your personality'. smile.gif

#9 piello

piello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Member: 7476

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:25

QUOTE(Solari @ Aug 4 2009, 07:41 AM) View Post

It seems that Pianists are generally considered to be a bit crazy for some reason.... Must be all that time alone practicing!

I must admit that Piano suits me as I never like to depend on anyone else for anything. Piano is perfect as I don't need an accompanist for starters tongue.gif

laugh.gif I guess that's quite possible, Solari...I also like being able to play on my own and accompany others.

I have heard it generalised that ALL musicians are eccentric though...(quite true, I guess really)

As for personalities, I'd say that sometimes it's possible to say what kind of instrument would suit a person. Sometimes the instrument just seems 'right' for someone...I don't really know why exactly!

I was allowed to start another instrument when I was 9 and played some different instrument sounds on the keyboard and landed on cello as sounding 'nice' ohmy.gif I wouldn't suggest this is a necessarily an ideal way of choosing though it worked for me!

#10 lizbun

lizbun

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4779 posts
  • Member: 7250
  • somewhere

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:29

Choose an instrument you want to play

#11 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20280 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:21

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Aug 4 2009, 09:18 AM) View Post

I'd say if there's a woodwind instrument you really, really like the sound of, and you want to have a go at playing it, then go for it : I shouldn't worry too much about it 'matching your personality'. smile.gif

QUOTE(lizbun @ Aug 4 2009, 09:29 AM) View Post

agree.gif

Overall I don't think there's a better reason for choosing what to play.

#12 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:26

QUOTE(Solari @ Aug 4 2009, 06:41 AM) View Post

And conversely, I found piano quite lonely for that reason - no opportunities to play in ensemble till you're a heck of a lot better than me!

QUOTE(piello @ Aug 4 2009, 08:25 AM) View Post
I have heard it generalised that ALL musicians are eccentric though...(quite true, I guess really)

Eccentric, moi?? wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE(Listener @ Aug 4 2009, 10:53 AM) View Post
Do you have a secret (or not so secret) hankering to play a particular instrument? Don't worry whether it seems to fit your 'cello' personality. You might find a different instrument shows a diffferent side of you and that might be a very good thing
QUOTE(SueHM @ Aug 3 2009, 11:37 PM) View Post
On the whole, I would always advise someone to take up an instrument they like the sound of and that appeals to them - you are much more likely to enjoy playing it and succeed.
QUOTE(sbhoa @ Aug 4 2009, 11:21 AM) View Post
QUOTE(barry-clari @ Aug 4 2009, 09:18 AM) View Post
QUOTE(lizbun @ Aug 4 2009, 09:29 AM) View Post
Overall I don't think there's a better reason for choosing what to play.

agree.gif

Can't put it better than these guys smile.gif

#13 Hurley

Hurley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Member: 70620
  • Home on the range

Posted 04 August 2009 - 13:15

I don't think that personality matters, I play piano and am not exactly calm like you would expect me to be.

#14 Guest: maledictis_*

Guest: maledictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 13:17

QUOTE(Solari @ Aug 4 2009, 07:41 AM) View Post

Pianist = control freak loner wink.gif

(yes, I am a pianist)

#15 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 13:23

QUOTE(Voltron @ Aug 4 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

I don't think that personality matters, I play piano and am not exactly calm like you would expect me to be.

You fit the "crazy" stereotype above, however! rolleyes.gif