Photo

What Size Violin For An Average Sized 5-year-old?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pianodub

pianodub

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Member: 7528
  • Ireland

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:44

Hello!

In my pre-instrumental lessons I teach a young boy with a variety of disabilities. These include delayed speech (which includes difficulties in understanding any complex instruction) and I think something on the autistic spectrum. He has improved a lot in the last few years though and is now able to play an active part in our classes.

His father has said that he is showing huge interest in the violin. They think that this is something he might like Santa to bring. He wouldn't be taking lessons as they don't feel he would be up to it yet, but they would like to get him something to play with. I think they would view it as therapeutic (I don't know and bow to their greater knowledge!)

My question is: what size violin would you suggest for a boy of around 5/6, average size. Obviously since Santa will bring it, he won't be in the shop! Also, what kind of price range would you be looking at? It doesn't need to be a particularly good one, as it will be more of a toy than anything else for the first while at least.

Thanks.

#2 icklechick

icklechick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Member: 44963

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:05

There are websites that help by telling you to measure the arm from the shoulder to the wrist or hand...

But I'd say an average 5yr old would want a quarter size violin. However, kids come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes these days, so don't take my word for it!

#3 pianodub

pianodub

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:17

QUOTE(icklechick @ Dec 1 2009, 12:05 PM) View Post

There are websites that help by telling you to measure the arm from the shoulder to the wrist or hand...

But I'd say an average 5yr old would want a quarter size violin. However, kids come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes these days, so don't take my word for it!

Thanks for that! I will pass that on to his parents. I think their aim is really more to keep him interested. Given his difficulties I don't know if he would ever be able to do formal lessons but I think he would love to have it. He is obsessed with the string family!

(I wonder will he become obsessed with recorders when they come to visit us....!)

#4 icklechick

icklechick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Member: 44963

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:20

As a rough guide...

1/8 - for young violin enthusiasts age 3 to 5 years old with an arm length of 17.1 to 17.5 inches.

1/4 - With an arm length of 17.6 to 20 inches, this violin is suitable for children 4 to 7 years old.

1/2 - For children ages 6 to 10 years old, with an arm length of 20 to 22 inches.

3/4 - Children 9 to 11 years old with an arm length of 22 to 23.5 inches will enjoy playing this size violin.

4/4 or Full Size Violin - For violinists age 9 and above with an arm length of 23.5 and up. This is the size for adults.

But obviously, depends on the size. I could probably still get away with playing a 3/4 size violin despite being 30 (I'm tiny and still get kids clothes!)

#5 Digby

Digby

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:24

We bought my daughter a 1/4 size at that age and then rented an 1/8th for a couple of terms. It didn't seem cost effective to buy the 1/8 and would be more difficult to sell on.

#6 pianodub

pianodub

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:28

Thanks for all that info! Will pass it on.