#1 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:19

My 11 year old has got into County Youth Orchestra this year. She has to wear formal back concert wear for the concert on the 23rd. Apparently many of the girls wear long black dresses. Where will I be able to buy something for her? She is fairly tall and has broad shoulders as she is a gymnast and is of an 'athletic build' and size 6 adult clothes might fit her but I don't want her to wear something that is inappropriate for her age (ie plunging necklines/ off the shoulder looks). She is only in year 6 and whie I have no problem with her wanting to look good and fit in- I reay don't want her to wear clothes that are obviously designed for adults!

Any suggestions?

#2 Val_alto

Val_alto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Member: 7366
  • Cambridge

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:39

How about a long black skirt ( charity shops may be useful here) and a black top appropriate to her age?

Val

#3 Guest: SueHM_*

Guest: SueHM_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:56

We managed with an adult's elasticated waist skirt for my daughter at a similar age, which we gradually let out over the next few years.

A long skirt is relatively easy to make - basically an elasticated tube - can you (or a capable friend/grandmother etc) run up something before the 23rd?

You could always ask some of the other Mothers what they do.

#4 serendipity

serendipity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Member: 9371

Posted 12 December 2009 - 13:45

First of all, I would check how 'many' of the other girls actually do wear long black dresses. Our county orchestra also specifies a long black skirt, to be worn with a white blouse, but I'm glad we never went down that route because the first concert we went to we realised how creatively that was interpreted!

Most girls wear either black trousers or a smart skirt. The 'long' bit is variable. A couple of girls wear calf-length skirts but they are the definite minority. Most wear skirts that are either just below the knee or a couple of inches below the knee. As long as they look smart and don't take the mickey by wearing mini-skirts it is OK.

If she really does need a long black outfit, I would go with the approach someone suggested and find a long-ish black skirt with a black blouse or smart tops. As well as charity shops (my daughter is size 6-8 and we have found these useful, but it is hit and miss), try dance shops - some of my daughter's friends have needed quite long black skirts for some their dance routines and have bought them in dance supplies shops or through dance schools - this way also has the advantage that they are catering for children as well as adults so sizing might be better.

#5 Guest: taxidriver_*

Guest: taxidriver_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 13:52

QUOTE(serendipity @ Dec 12 2009, 01:45 PM) View Post

First of all, I would check how 'many' of the other girls actually do wear long black dresses.

Most girls wear either black trousers or a smart skirt.

I agree with Serendipity - often long dresses or skirts or asked for but many wear trousers. When my daughter was this awkard age (between children and adults) I used Next - their size 6 trousers/skirts can be very appropriate, with a black blouse or top.

#6 Guest: Celeste_*

Guest: Celeste_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 13:58

As a very small young adult, I can recommend the long skirt/black top option - long black dresses are *impossible*! And yes, Next is very good, particularly their petite range, and I'm almost certain the size 6s in that range would be fine for your daughter. smile.gif

#7 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8801 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 12 December 2009 - 14:05

I know how difficult this can be even with a child who easily fits into ladies clothing. We recently looked for a long black dress and found they were highly inappropriate due to plunging necklines. Someone suggested to me to try a dance shop. I am fairly certain one of the girls wears a skirt which would be more commonly used for dance.

I got a dress in the end from an independent clothes shop that sold teeenage wear. It's full lenght with a high, rolled down neckline. As it is sleeveless we teamed it with a plain black shrug.

I was quite suprised to find the Orchestra daughter played in last week really didn't stick to plain black at all. They were all in black but sparkles and sequines were very evident. The longer established Orchestra states very clearly no glitz of any kind.

#8 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 15:21

Hi I had a very successful trip today.
I live very near Clark's Village which is an end of line retail park thing- with a Monsoon.
Being near to Christmas there was lots of black in stock at greatly reduced prices.
I had found out that they are allowed to wear skirts/ trousers but the photos I've seen- they are VERY formal.
We struggled with size 6's as her shoulders and chest are very broad due to gymnastics! And size 8's were too busty!
However, we found a very formal size 8 blouse that covered her shoulders etc and bought a pair of size 6 trousers. They were really reduced- like from £40 down to £5.
We found a lovely dress that she adored- but being size 8- it was too busty. It was so reduced (£100 down to £20) that I bought it for her for the future. There is only one concert now- but another at Easter and a tour in the summer- she'll have changed shape again by then probably.
After that I'll be able to get hand me downs from other members hopefully- if she continues to grow as fast as she is.

Thank you for the advice!
I'm just relieved we found something suitable that she thinks is grown up enough (she'll be nearly the youngest there) but is appropiate for a child.

#9 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8801 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 17:05

QUOTE(Clari Nicki1 @ Dec 12 2009, 03:21 PM) View Post

Thank you for the advice!
I'm just relieved we found something suitable that she thinks is grown up enough (she'll be nearly the youngest there) but is appropiate for a child.

Over the next two years she will probably grow very quickly. Emsoboe was fairly average in primary school and year 7. It seemed like she grew almost overnight to 5'8".

Glad you found something suitable and affordable.

#10 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 17:31

Thanks notmusimum!
She is really big for a gymnast! but she is much smaller than her sister was at her age (her sister was 5ft 4 at just 10!) but she is shooting up! I think the separates option was much more sensible as she might wear the clothes to somewhere else. Even if I got a bargain I'd be disappointed if she only wore these clothes once ans had grown by the next concert!

#11 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8801 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 21:38

QUOTE(Clari Nicki1 @ Dec 12 2009, 05:31 PM) View Post

Thanks notmusimum!
She is really big for a gymnast! but she is much smaller than her sister was at her age (her sister was 5ft 4 at just 10!) but she is shooting up! I think the separates option was much more sensible as she might wear the clothes to somewhere else. Even if I got a bargain I'd be disappointed if she only wore these clothes once ans had grown by the next concert!

It's suprising how the ones who were tall at Primary are not the tallest now.

I'm sure she'll get more than one wear out of outfit.

#12 false_harmonic

false_harmonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Member: 53584

Posted 12 December 2009 - 22:19

I take it you don't know any of the other parents? When I first started playing in the local orchestra at 11 one of my mum's friends had a daughter about four years older than me who was also in the orchestra, and so I inherited her long black skirt from when she had just started. So if you do know any of the other parents, that might be a resource worth checking out!

#13 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 22:29

I know another new mum and ones with boys!!! and one who made a dress for her daughter and she hasn't grown in a few years.

#14 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5042 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 12 December 2009 - 23:25

When my daughter needed black outfits for orchestra, we found a black skirt in Woolworths on the sale rail for £1 and then she used a black or white top with it - different orchestras/choirs needed black or white tops. The skirt was better value than trousers because she was able to grow and it was still about 3/4 length before her waist expanded out of it. I'd recommend the separates route.

#15 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1078 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:54

When my daughter had just turned 11 (tall and slim but completely flat chested!) it was Boundary Mills for us for the formal dress ('smart and sophisticated') for one orchestra and velvety trousers/blouse-she-really-wants to-wear combination for the other.