Photo

How Was Your Lesson And What Are You Practicing?

• Please log in to reply
3142 replies to this topic

#2326 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4211 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:09

QUOTE(Little Elf @ Mar 15 2012, 08:20 AM) View Post

my lesson yesterday went quite well. It's the last lesson before my exam which is a bit worrying... they normally go terribly and then the exam is fine.... this is uncharted territory....

Which exam is it, Little Elf?

Could be that your good lesson means the exam is going to go even better than usual...?

Good luck anyway. smile.gif

#2327 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20221 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:23

Not a lesson but a good session with my accompanist.
It will be better when I can reliably play all the notes but we did some good work.
Tried for a run through at the end but had to abandon it as my brain had decided to give up by then.
Shows how much I still need to work on mental stamina as well as playing stamina.

#2328 Little Elf

Little Elf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Member: 60592

Posted 15 March 2012 - 15:36

QUOTE(Misterioso @ Mar 15 2012, 02:09 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Little Elf @ Mar 15 2012, 08:20 AM) View Post

my lesson yesterday went quite well. It's the last lesson before my exam which is a bit worrying... they normally go terribly and then the exam is fine.... this is uncharted territory....

Which exam is it, Little Elf?

Could be that your good lesson means the exam is going to go even better than usual...?

Good luck anyway. smile.gif

grade 5 piano - I'm doing the haydn minuet and trio, glinka mazurka, and chris norton dreaming on. My exam is this monday at 12:03.

#2329 louloubelle

louloubelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Member: 408582
  • Northern Isles (of Scotland)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 16:28

"Interesting" violin lesson. As usual, I was very variable---bits I do OK at home go wrong in lesson, and vice versa. I work hard at bowing, as I had developed a bad habit of doing "inadvertant" slurs, so I am now aiming only to slur when marked---not as easy as it sounds.
But, this afternoon, for the first time, I found something that was physically almost imposssible----G# in 4th position on G string. Usually an awkward stretch is just a matter of practicing, but I am not sure I can actually get the amount of torsion on my (ageing) arm required to reach the G#----F# is OK. unsure.gif

Oh well---missing my early evening fiddle group class as Strathspey and Reel is starting early tonight, (concert next week), and I could do with practicing the marches !!

So---big mug of tea, and back to the torture (aural if not physical)---thank goodness I live in a detached house!

#2330 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5541 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:32

Naughty child here, got to my music lesson but had forgotten my music blush.gif
I'd packed my recorders up at lunchtime, picked up my music bag (with various 'staples' in it) and put it next to my recorders, but not put the music from my music stand in the bag. And then after work, I picked up recorder bag and music bag, and off I went. Leaving current music on stand...

So, a lesson of sight reading, just as all naughty children who 'forget' their music get (and then find their memories dramatically improved!)

Prior to this lesson I was looking at four studies from a study book, all in various stages of playing (we'd done them over three weeks, I'd say, as "study of the week" but some continued on a bit longer!); and also three movements from one of the Bach cello suites.
Now I have an extra study from a different book, a very long movement from another cello suite (the six are in two volumes - while volume one languished on my music stand, volume two was already in the bag!), and also some French violin clef facsimilie fun with Schickardt.
The latter is a piece you can play in either G major or Gb major. I'm fortunately starting with the G major version.
(Though very very silly, the music has the key signatures written out at start, with the name of the key as well. So it says "G major" and has a clef with one sharp. But then it says "F# major", yet writes it out as a clef with six flats. I was very confused for a while there...)

#2331 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20221 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:44

QUOTE(Maizie @ Mar 16 2012, 07:32 AM) View Post

I'd packed my recorders up at lunchtime, picked up my music bag (with various 'staples' in it) and put it next to my recorders, but not put the music from my music stand in the bag. And then after work, I picked up recorder bag and music bag, and off I went. Leaving current music on stand...

I got half way to my accompanist's house and realised I'd not brought money.... blush.gif
I confessed immediately and he asked had I remembered my music.
He very kindly said it was fine to post a cheque which I did as soon as I got home.

#2332 Sunrise

Sunrise

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3392 posts
  • Member: 106844
  • Gibraltar

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:16

QUOTE(Maizie @ Mar 16 2012, 08:32 AM) View Post

So, a lesson of sight reading, just as all naughty children who 'forget' their music get (and then find their memories dramatically improved!)

LOL I did that a few weeks ago - for both piano and violin (they are a double lesson!) Lucky you getting sightreading!! I had to do it from memory and then Gmajor 4 octaves in all manner of tortures! And for piano.....luckily she had copies biggrin.gif

Well I managed a couple of hours practice before my lesson today, and the Bruch (1st page) was sounding almost recognisable! Plenty to do on octaves and triple stopping, but happy as a good start. Of course it gets more difficult from here!! ph34r.gif

Need to do another couple of hours practice on fiddle tunes for tomorrow, some piano practice, and then off to a teacher's masterclass by our music festival adjudicator!

#2333 Pixie*Porsche

Pixie*Porsche

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • Member: 6685

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:46

I've got my piano lesson on Wednesday smile.gif Looking forward to it biggrin.gif

#2334 louise1712

louise1712

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7267 posts
  • Member: 68484
  • London

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:03

Oboe lesson went well biggrin.gif went over a couple of things from last lesson then onto some pieces that are either on or have been on grade 1 lists.

Clari went equally well, played through a few pieces and then decided on piece for Glasgow, started on Mozart Church Sonata 4, more of a challenge than most of the recent stuff so looking forward to working on that biggrin.gif

#2335 schraeubchen

schraeubchen

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1426 posts
  • Member: 86433
  • Germany

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:26

QUOTE(Sunrise @ Mar 16 2012, 01:16 PM) View Post

Need to do another couple of hours practice on fiddle tunes for tomorrow, some piano practice, and then off to a teacher's masterclass by our music festival adjudicator!

Sounds great! How did it go?

#2336 Sunrise

Sunrise

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3392 posts
  • Member: 106844
  • Gibraltar

Posted 19 March 2012 - 13:16

QUOTE(schraeubchen @ Mar 19 2012, 08:26 AM) View Post

A cracking weekend, and the fiddling was just fantastic!! We are hoping we might get some more gigs from it! the masterclass was illuminating, with loads of teaching tips and tricks and the festival stressful but good. Was glad to sit down last night though. laugh.gif

#2337 schraeubchen

schraeubchen

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1426 posts
  • Member: 86433
  • Germany

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:23

QUOTE(Sunrise @ Mar 19 2012, 02:16 PM) View Post

QUOTE(schraeubchen @ Mar 19 2012, 08:26 AM) View Post

A cracking weekend, and the fiddling was just fantastic!! We are hoping we might get some more gigs from it! the masterclass was illuminating, with loads of teaching tips and tricks and the festival stressful but good. Was glad to sit down last night though. laugh.gif

No doubt you where ready for chilling! But I am sure it was great for you and you enjoyed it very much.
Have fun!

#2338 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3071 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Born and bred in Derby. Now living on the outskirts of Chesterfield.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:32

Lesson tonight came after a couple of weeks of no practice. Boy, did it show. sad.gif

#2339 niobe

niobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Member: 86863
  • West Sussex

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:25

ph34r.gif Just finished my lesson and now have that 'I wonder why I'm even bothering to take the exam next Monday' sort of feeling.... sad.gif

#2340 louise1712

louise1712

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7267 posts
  • Member: 68484
  • London

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:06

QUOTE(niobe @ Mar 20 2012, 03:25 PM) View Post

ph34r.gif Just finished my lesson and now have that 'I wonder why I'm even bothering to take the exam next Monday' sort of feeling.... sad.gif

grouphug.gif keep going, you'll be fine smile.gif