#1 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts
  • Member: 43225

Posted 03 January 2010 - 21:12

Can anyone tell me how long an enhanced CRB lasts for in school? I thought it was 3 years but it only has the valid from date on my certificate.
I'm going to be in desperate need of some advice for something from anybody who knows these legal matters.
Thanks.x blink.gif ohmy.gif

#2 Louise H

Louise H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Member: 7092
  • West Cumbria

Posted 03 January 2010 - 22:32

I believe it has to be renewed every 2 years - I had one for my music service in March 2008 and am expecting it to come up for renewal in March this year. I'd have to fish out the paperwork I received at the time to check what it actually says. I'm sure there will be others who have had them for schools etc who will know more. As the music service initiated it, they sent me the forms etc at the time so I'm expecting they will do the same when it needs renewing.

Louise

#3 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 23:04

QUOTE(Louise H @ Jan 3 2010, 10:32 PM) View Post

I believe it has to be renewed every 2 years - I had one for my music service in March 2008 and am expecting it to come up for renewal in March this year. I'd have to fish out the paperwork I received at the time to check what it actually says. I'm sure there will be others who have had them for schools etc who will know more. As the music service initiated it, they sent me the forms etc at the time so I'm expecting they will do the same when it needs renewing.

Louise

I don't think it's 2 years as the other place I work asked for my CRB number a month or so ago and it would have been out of date already otherwise.
It's my music service that I got mine from too.

#4 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 04 January 2010 - 00:07

In our music service we've been told 3 years. A lot of us had them around Sept. 2007 & we've been told they'll have to be renewed this Sept, but there's a new scheme coming in, isn't there?

#5 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:28

QUOTE(bevpiano @ Jan 4 2010, 12:07 AM) View Post

In our music service we've been told 3 years. A lot of us had them around Sept. 2007 & we've been told they'll have to be renewed this Sept, but there's a new scheme coming in, isn't there?

Yes, the vetting and barring one (did some Reading last night!)
But I think from, what I can work out, even if we had that, we'd need the CRB anyway for schools, but the other one is ok for teaching privately from home.

#6 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40911 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:33

I believe once you've been checked for a particular place, you don't officially have to be checked again, but as has been said above, there's a new system coming in that may well mean all checks will have to be re-done, anyway...

#7 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:50

CRB checks don't have to be renewed but most organisations apply their own rules and usually seem to want them renewed every three years. Of course, they're out of date the day they're issued so three years, five years or five minutes doesn't really make any difference. When I was getting my scouting one renewed (I think it's currently five years in scouting) I made the point that had I been convicted of any crime they might be interested in I think someone round here might possibly have noticed, which would be far more of a protection than a bit of paper.

#8 AnnC

AnnC

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2917 posts
  • Member: 6097

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:52

QUOTE(miffy @ Jan 4 2010, 07:28 AM) View Post

But I think from, what I can work out, even if we had that, we'd need the CRB anyway for schools, but the other one is ok for teaching privately from home.

Advice from the ISM is that private teachers do not need to join the Vetting and Barring Scheme.

#9 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:47

QUOTE(AnnC @ Jan 4 2010, 09:52 AM) View Post

Advice from the ISM is that private teachers do not need to join the Vetting and Barring Scheme.

But I still need CRB for private teaching in school. The problem is, at the moment I have one as I do some work for the music service, but how will I renew it when I am no longer with the music service? The school can't do it as I am not employed by them.

#10 mr bean

mr bean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 71125
  • Annan, Dumfriesshire

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:55

The CRB situation can be a real pain in the neck; I got an enhanced disclosure in September for a supply teaching agency - I paid for this myself. I presently do some work for a local music service, teaching keyboard; some of this involves working in studios, and some time is spent teaching keyboard in two local Primary schools. My September disclosure was acceptable for the studios and one of the Primary schools; however, the Head of the other Primary school decided that my recent supply agency disclosure wasn't 'close enough to home', and that I couldn't teach in her school until I had a Plymouth City Council one! I therefore applied for a new disclosure which took several weeks to come - again, I had to pay for it myself, having also missed out on weeks of work at the school concerned (albeit only an hour a week). mad.gif I, too think that someone somewhere is making a lot of money out of this crazy system - surely one disclosure certificate should cover all institutions, and be valid for a clearly understood period of time.

#11 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Member: 23721
  • UK

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:42

QUOTE(miffy @ Jan 4 2010, 10:47 AM) View Post

QUOTE(AnnC @ Jan 4 2010, 09:52 AM) View Post

But I still need CRB for private teaching in school. The problem is, at the moment I have one as I do some work for the music service, but how will I renew it when I am no longer with the music service? The school can't do it as I am not employed by them.

The school could probably do it on your behalf and you'd just have to pay for it if they weren't willing to.

Lucid smile.gif