#1 Sparkley

Sparkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 63284
  • Salisbury

Posted 28 February 2010 - 17:08

I am moving some of my stuff out of my parents house and into my new place. I have a Yamaha digital upright piano and not sure about how to move it. I could rent a van and get some people to help but not sure if that's ok? I've looked up piano movers but that seems to be for real pianos as opposed to digital.

If I did it myself and rented a van, how do you secure the piano into the van? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I don't want to end up damaging it!

thank you :-)

#2 Benjy

Benjy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Member: 86293
  • UK

Posted 28 February 2010 - 19:55

QUOTE(Sparkley @ Feb 28 2010, 05:08 PM) View Post

I am moving some of my stuff out of my parents house and into my new place. I have a Yamaha digital upright piano and not sure about how to move it. I could rent a van and get some people to help but not sure if that's ok? I've looked up piano movers but that seems to be for real pianos as opposed to digital.

If I did it myself and rented a van, how do you secure the piano into the van? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I don't want to end up damaging it!

thank you :-)

I moved mine recently. Found a friend to help, bunged it in the back of the van (on its back with a blanket to protect) lodged against something to stop it moving. It works as well as it did before. Lighter and less to go wrong that with an acoustic piano. (Hopefully). smile.gif

#3 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 28 February 2010 - 20:12

I used to move my digital by just putting it in the back of a van. It is quite light, and it was always fine on the journey after making sure that it couldn't move.

Now that I also have an acoustic, I ask the piano movers to do both. They charge me a little bit more than for just the acoustic, but are happy with the arrangement.

#4 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 28 February 2010 - 23:09

My Clav is definitely not light!

It comes to pieces, though. The keyboard section comes off but needs great care in putting back together, you should put card or paper over the side edges to ensure that the wood doesn't chip when you re-assemble it.

2 bits should be manageable enough (unscrew the headphone hanger bit) but if not, then you can locate all the screws and basically turn it into a bit of flat-pack furniture smile.gif Use ridiculous amounts of large-pocket bubble-wrap.

#5 clavicembalo

clavicembalo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3701 posts
  • Member: 81873
  • Cheltenham

Posted 28 February 2010 - 23:17

QUOTE(Solari @ Feb 28 2010, 11:09 PM) View Post

My Clav is definitely not light!

It comes to pieces, though. The keyboard section comes off but needs great care in putting back together, you should put card or paper over the side edges to ensure that the wood doesn't chip when you re-assemble it.

2 bits should be manageable enough (unscrew the headphone hanger bit) but if not, then you can locate all the screws and basically turn it into a bit of flat-pack furniture smile.gif Use ridiculous amounts of large-pocket bubble-wrap.

I would agree that the Clavinova is not light. I've moved mine only twice, separating keyboard from stand, as Solari suggests. I lay the keyboard on a strip of old carpet in the back of (a) a volvo estate and (b) a minibus, respectively. I had help on both occasions. Reassembling was surprisingly easy, fortunately, but I wouldn't want to have to do it too often.

#6 armandine2

armandine2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 86091

Posted 01 March 2010 - 16:00

This reminds me of the day I bought my Korg SP200. The shop called a taxi for me and I'd naively thought a 20kg cardboard box would just go onto the back seat without any undue fuss.... little understanding the cabbie's jealously guarded upholstery, I then took the taxi-driver's refusal to contemplate such a carriage personally and figured I could lift the box to the tram stop and carry it home myself. Which I did, and the memory of the pain of that day has been beneficial in the learning process .... if you don't like lifting them learn to play them, has to be on someone's coat of arms.

#7 clavicembalo

clavicembalo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3701 posts
  • Member: 81873
  • Cheltenham

Posted 01 March 2010 - 17:48

QUOTE(armandine2 @ Mar 1 2010, 04:00 PM) View Post

and figured I could lift the box to the tram stop and carry it home myself. Which I did, and the memory of the pain of that day has been beneficial in the learning process ....

Off topic, sorry, but I did a similar thing years ago buying a set of weights/bar-bells from an Argos store. It was only when they wheeled them out to me on a trolley that the penny dropped. Not wishing to look anything less than A.Schwarzenegger, I whisked them up onto my shoulder and marched cheerfully out of the shop .... only to put them down again fairly soon afterwards, out of sight round a corner! The pride of youth, eh!

I had my Clavinova delivered to my door!

#8 armandine2

armandine2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 86091

Posted 02 March 2010 - 18:39

All learning is at our own expense .... Johnny Depp in The Libertine