#1 upbeat

upbeat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Member: 9639

Posted 08 December 2010 - 17:45

Its been recommended I get a humidifier for the room my piano is in. Has anyone got one they can recommend? There seem to be three types on the market: cool mist, warm mist and ultrasonic, and I don't know which would be best.

Thanks smile.gif

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13709 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 08 December 2010 - 20:52

QUOTE(upbeat @ Dec 8 2010, 05:45 PM) View Post

Its been recommended I get a humidifier for the room my piano is in. Has anyone got one they can recommend? There seem to be three types on the market: cool mist, warm mist and ultrasonic, and I don't know which would be best.

Thanks smile.gif

Waste of money. Put a jar of water inside the bottom of the piano, and top it up when required.

QUOTE(upbeat @ Dec 8 2010, 05:45 PM) View Post

Thanks smile.gif

Waste of money. Put a jar of water inside the bottom of the piano, and top it up when required.
I've done this all my life, and Ive had apiano for 57 yrs.
Now I wait for all the posts who are opposed to this, as I know many are.

#3 Robodoc

Robodoc

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts
  • Member: 10431
  • Chorley, Lancs

Posted 08 December 2010 - 23:23

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Dec 8 2010, 09:52 PM) View Post

I've done this all my life, and Ive had apiano for 57 yrs.
Now I wait for all the posts who are opposed to this, as I know many are.

I am not an expert on this, but . . .

I don't think a jar of water inside does the piano any harm (unless you spill it), it just doesn't do much to humidify the air, not even inside the piano. If that keeps your piano in trim the chances are that's because your piano would be in trim anyway.

There must be a big "if" about whether you really need a humidifier at all. I would check, seriously check, with experts first - tuners or a reputable showroom. Get information about the basic level of humidity - borrow a meter from the tuner or showroom and keep a chart, several times a day over several weeks. Only when armed with this sort of information can you hope to know whether you really need one: Most people don't, which is why the jam-jar story "works".

A far more common problem in the UK at least is too high humidity (ever wondered why most piano show-rooms and virtually all piano stores in major concert halls here are air-conditioned?). The atmosphere that made Lancashire the ideal place to process cotton is too humid for pianos: We have a de-humidifier in the room with our piano. Sometimes we turn it on!

#4 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 December 2010 - 23:40

Surely a jar of water relies on a decent amount of airflow to induce evaporation? I don't see how this can be anywhere near as effective as a proper humidifier?

Many modern pianos are designed to be very robust, but if you have a model that's older, or particularly sensitive, then I'd have thought that you want a piece of equipment that can both humidify and dehumidify?

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13709 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:54

QUOTE(Solari @ Dec 8 2010, 11:40 PM) View Post

Surely a jar of water relies on a decent amount of airflow to induce evaporation? I don't see how this can be anywhere near as effective as a proper humidifier?

Many modern pianos are designed to be very robust, but if you have a model that's older, or particularly sensitive, then I'd have thought that you want a piece of equipment that can both humidify and dehumidify?

Well in my piano the jar goes down surprisingly quickly !

#6 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:17

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Dec 9 2010, 08:54 AM) View Post

Well in my piano the jar goes down surprisingly quickly !

Case closed, then tongue.gif Was just having a brain storm and wondering how it works so well in a relatively enclosed environment. Maybe I don't remember enough physics from school! biggrin.gif

#7 Robodoc

Robodoc

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts
  • Chorley, Lancs

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:54

QUOTE(upbeat @ Dec 8 2010, 06:45 PM) View Post

Its been recommended I get a humidifier . . .

Just out of interest, who made this recommendation and why?

#8 upbeat

upbeat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 21:30

Thanks for all the replies smile.gif

Robodoc, it was my piano tuner. My piano is really sensitive to weather changes and goes out of tune very easily. So I got a hygrometer and the readings have been really bad, which is why I'm getting a humidifier.

Its sounding like a honky tonk at the moment and driving me crazy. Not much fun to play smile.gif

#9 Robodoc

Robodoc

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts
  • Chorley, Lancs

Posted 09 December 2010 - 22:45

QUOTE(upbeat @ Dec 9 2010, 10:30 PM) View Post

Thanks for all the replies smile.gif

Robodoc, it was my piano tuner. My piano is really sensitive to weather changes and goes out of tune very easily. So I got a hygrometer and the readings have been really bad, which is why I'm getting a humidifier.

Its sounding like a honky tonk at the moment and driving me crazy. Not much fun to play smile.gif

Fair enough: Why not ask the tuner for advice on what to get?

#10 andante

andante

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1853 posts
  • Member: 63837

Posted 09 December 2010 - 23:10

My tuner suggested a couple of wide shallow containers of water in the bottom of the piano. I used tupperware sandwich boxes. I assumed the large surface area of the water would allow evaporation better than a narrow jar.

He said another idea was a fish tank in the same room. laugh.gif

#11 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 10 December 2010 - 00:47

I dry the odd towel on the radiator in the music room.

#12 northrock

northrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 117275
  • Bermuda

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:28

Where I live, humidity control is a real issue. In my case, it's about dehumidfying. Not just with pianos, everything from clothes to furniture. Currently I have a small space heater in my fairly average Yamaha upright but if I ever upgrade to something better, I would probably invest in something like this - www.pianolifesaver.com/english/home.php

Looks like a serious piece of kit but compared to the cost of a tuner every couple of months, probably worth it.

#13 upbeat

upbeat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 22:02

A fish tank lol. My parents had one of those and looking after it was hard work. Think I'll stick with the humidifier smile.gif I bought one, here's hoping it helps my piano to settle. While I'm waiting for it to arrive I might try the towel on the radiator idea though. Don't trust myself not to spill a large tub of water all over the piano!

Was wondering if there were any particularly plants I could put in the room that might help ... not sure which varieties might be best.

#14 Robodoc

Robodoc

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts
  • Chorley, Lancs

Posted 11 December 2010 - 13:01

QUOTE(upbeat @ Dec 10 2010, 11:02 PM) View Post

A fish tank lol.

Maybe you could keep a piano tuna in it biggrin.gif