Photo

Grade 6/7 OR even 8 classical piano pieces?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MusicClassical1

MusicClassical1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 231678

Posted 16 April 2011 - 20:48

Hi! I am 16 and play piano and I am currently on Grade 7. I have just finished my first piece (Haydn Sonata in G Major Hob XVI.27 3rd Mov. Presto) and it's coming along great but all I have to do is speed it up. I do have a YouTube channel with all of my piano videos (ClassicalMusicPiano) so add me as a friend and suggest pieces.
Yeah so thats basically it I want you guys to sugges any Grade 6/7 OR even Grade 8 CLASSICAL piano pieces for me to start on. (I get bored playing the same pieces all the time!). smile.gif

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13903 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:46

QUOTE(MusicClassical1 @ Apr 16 2011, 09:48 PM)  

Hi! I am 16 and play piano and I am currently on Grade 7. I have just finished my first piece (Haydn Sonata in G Major Hob XVI.27 3rd Mov. Presto) and it's coming along great but all I have to do is speed it up. I do have a YouTube channel with all of my piano videos (ClassicalMusicPiano) so add me as a friend and suggest pieces.
Yeah so thats basically it I want you guys to sugges any Grade 6/7 OR even Grade 8 CLASSICAL piano pieces for me to start on. (I get bored playing the same pieces all the time!). smile.gif

Well you are obviously into Haydn Sonatas, and there are 52 of them to go at. Lots of them have movements at Grade 7 level, eg (all Hob XVI) All of no 37, also in D (last movement is easier than Gr 7), probably all of No 39 in G and No 40 in G. Minuet from no 43 in A flat, last movement of No 49 in C (start slowly and then speed it up)
Most Haydn Sonatas to play are no harder than Grade 8, except the last on (No 52)

Next nearest to Haydn is Mozart, there are 18 Sonatas.
K545 is easiest for notes, but try K282 in Eflat (complete) or K283 in G. Also first novement K332 in F and the well known Rondo alla Turca from K331 in A.

Have you looked at the two easier Beethoven Sonatas Op49 No 1 (G Minor) and 2 (G Major).
You could also manage the well known slow movement fo the Pathetique Sonata Op13.
Also try Second movements of Op10 No 2 and Op10 No 3 (Minuet), and last movement of Op79, or th 1st and 2nd movements of the 'Moonlight' Sonata Op27 no 2 in C#Minor

#3 MusicClassical1

MusicClassical1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:16

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Apr 18 2011, 09:46 AM)  

Well you are obviously into Haydn Sonatas, and there are 52 of them to go at. Lots of them have movements at Grade 7 level, eg (all Hob XVI) All of no 37, also in D (last movement is easier than Gr 7), probably all of No 39 in G and No 40 in G. Minuet from no 43 in A flat, last movement of No 49 in C (start slowly and then speed it up)
Most Haydn Sonatas to play are no harder than Grade 8, except the last on (No 52)

Next nearest to Haydn is Mozart, there are 18 Sonatas.
K545 is easiest for notes, but try K282 in Eflat (complete) or K283 in G. Also first novement K332 in F and the well known Rondo alla Turca from K331 in A.

Have you looked at the two easier Beethoven Sonatas Op49 No 1 (G Minor) and 2 (G Major).
You could also manage the well known slow movement fo the Pathetique Sonata Op13.
Also try Second movements of Op10 No 2 and Op10 No 3 (Minuet), and last movement of Op79, or th 1st and 2nd movements of the 'Moonlight' Sonata Op27 no 2 in C#Minor

Thanks very musch for the quick reply! I'm not really familiar with the Haydn Sonatas but I will at some stage. For the Mozart Sonatas I have played K.545 and 1st and 3rd Mov. from K.331 and all Movements from K.282.
For Beethoven I have played the G minor and Major "easy" sonatas. 2nd Mov. from Pathetique and 1st and 2nd Mov. from Moonlight.
Thanks for all the help and may you recommend some Chopin pieces for me to play or Schubert Impromptus? Tanks again.

#4 Guest: lilly763_*

Guest: lilly763_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:55

Some of my favorite classical sonatas:

Mozart:

Variations K. 265 (you've definitely heard of these - they're fun, audience pleasing, and great for technique)
K. 283 (probably grade 7ish)
K. 284 (first movement grade 8, last movement more difficult/long)
K. 332 (outer movements both grade 8)
K. 311 (first movement grade 7/8ish, last movement more difficult but doable)
K. 330 (should be doable)
K. 457 (around the same level as K. 332 - often perceived as harder but I haven't found it to be the case)

Haydn (not quite as familiar with these - I'm more of a Mozart person smile.gif):

Hob.XVI.20 in C minor (I prefer Haydn's major key works, but it's still a nice/original sonata)
Hob.XVI.23 in F major (especially this one! Not hard and wonderful)
Hob.XVI.28 in Eb major
Hob.XVI.31 in E major (another favorite - not hard and not played often)
Hob.XVI.32 in B minor
Hob.XVI.35 in C major (I love this one too)
Hob.XVI.36 in C# minor (first movement may be a bit difficult)
Hob.XVI.37 in D major (played a lot, but understandable since it's so much fun!)
Hob.XVI.49 in Eb major (more difficult than the others, but still probably doable)

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13903 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 13:28

Schubert, the Impromptu in A Flat will be the most approachable for you, the otehrs are certainely Grade 8 standard. But do look at his 'Moments Musicaux' - you should be able to manage all of them, though 4 & 5 are a bit tricky - about grade 7

Chopin Try Waltz No 3 in A Minor, or No 10 B Minor, or No 9 (A Flat) or 12 (A Flat)
also Mazurkas Nos 5, 6, 10, 13, 14, 30, 44, 46, 47

#6 bobifier

bobifier

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4468 posts
  • Member: 5119

Posted 18 April 2011 - 19:55

One of the best ways to find music of around that standard is actually to get hold of ABRSM syllabuses (syllabi?) and see what they have in. As a general rule they tend to contain various 'standard' pieces, but also a few composers who you probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise, and a decent range of styles. If you don't know exactly what you want, they are certainly a useful resource. You can check out any music you find the name of (or at least most of it, though your chances decrease with more modern music) at IMSLP.

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13903 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 20:06

Yes Bobifier is right, its not just Haydn Mozart and Beethoven in late 18th ./early 19th Centuries
I know you have played the Clementi Sonatinas (havent we all)as they are on your YouTube thread but there are quite a few Sonatas as well. Also dont forget Bachs sons, JC, WF , and CPE Bach. There's Kuhlau too.
You are also playing some Schubert, have you played any of Mendelssohns Songs without Words ?? Theres 48 for them from Grade 5 to Diploma in standard

#8 MusicClassical1

MusicClassical1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 22:03

I have just uploaded Haydn Sonata No.42 in G Major (for my Grade 7 Piano Exam, Royal Irish Academy of Music), not ABRSM onto my YouTube channel (ClassicalMusicPiano). I wanted to see and hear what my performance would be like in just two dys of practicing this sonata! Here is the link, so if you have and tips or anything to say please leave a comment: http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title

#9 piano/violinplayer

piano/violinplayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 244182

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:16

Hi, for my Grade 7 I did La Sarabande by Grovlez (Abrsm 2009-10) and it's a really nice piece. I loved it. From the Grade 8 2011-12, John Field's Allegro moderato and Sergey Prokofiev's Prelude are also really beautiful classical pieces. I hope you will try them!