Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5394 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 04 May 2011 - 13:50

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 4 2011, 12:29 PM) View Post

What would be the maximum thinking time for grade 5? The problem is going to be arpeggios in this area I think.

No idea, but I would say seconds. The ABRSM marking scheme mentions Quick, Prompt, Cautious, Poor and Very Poor or Incomplete Response.

I would have thought thinking time for arpeggios should be quicker than scales. 1st 3rd and 5th isn't much to commit to memory. In fact I reckon learning an arpeggio is a good first step to learning the scale. I do acknowledge though that different people find different things easy/hard and there's often no logoc to explain it.

#32 Guest: MusicalNitWit_*

Guest: MusicalNitWit_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 04 May 2011 - 17:52

First practice went well today. Luckily he'd played one of his pieces for a competition in school so we excluded that. I did each major scale and arpeggio alternating so if scale was slurred then arpeggio was tongued. E major was weak but it was slurred. Remembered all scales but some errors on arpeggios. He had an air of non-pressured confidence about him....little s*&+

Started the Montagues - went better than thought and focused on tenor clef troubles in one section so will do next section tomorrow.

I still need to get my head around aural and sight-reading but I think I will save that for weekends.

Feel positive today - that will change as all of DS cricket matches are away so home by 7:30pm every Wednesday as of next week! sad.gif

Thank you for the support. Now off to do the minors as tomorrow will only be 20mins and we'll be on SueHM's schedule! smile.gif

#33 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5408 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 04 May 2011 - 18:31

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 3 2011, 11:56 PM) View Post

Anacrusis! ohmy.gif

...well, I was just saying.... blush.gif
doesn't anyone else have occasional crises which put the best-laid plans to rout? The serious subtext of what I was saying remains: leave space for leeway, and opportunities to enjoy spontaneous happenings, that way if non-enjoyable ones come up, you don't feel so pressured, and now and again you also get a great boost from the right sort of spontanaity.

I have to say - all the scheduling I've seen in this thread strikes me as anything but stress free, and believe me, I know what stress looks like, in my line of work ph34r.gif.

#34 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 04 May 2011 - 18:33

QUOTE(anacrusis @ May 4 2011, 08:31 PM) View Post

Anacrusis! ohmy.gif

doesn't anyone else have occasional crises which put the best-laid plans to rout? The serious subtext of what I was saying remains: leave space for leeway, and opportunities to enjoy spontaneous happenings, that way if non-enjoyable ones come up, you don't feel so pressured, and now and again you also get a great boost from the right sort of spontanaity.

I do all the time smile.gif I have decided it is one of the occupational hazards of having children wink.gif

#35 tonedeafmum

tonedeafmum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Member: 105486
  • Not in Kansas anymore

Posted 04 May 2011 - 19:44

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 3 2011, 11:26 PM) View Post

Tonedaftmum, was that should of had ferrets instead of children? laugh.gif

We'd picked out names and everything - but, fool that I was, I insisted on children instead....
Sigh ....

Practice sounds like it's going ok so far - well done to you both.

At the moment Daughter and I are having a crash course in identifying the character, style and period of music courtesy of the future Mr Tonedeaf (Paul Harris wub.gif )

This is B1's translation for 10 year olds -
Baroque = fiddly bits - like Brighton Pavillion
Classical = normal - like Grandma's radio
Romantic = sad - like people in the rain
Modern (20th/21st Century) = none of the above.

It's only now I regret that poor B1 has grown up listening mostly to show tunes, worship music, and local radio pop - none of these styles figure highly on the ABRSM syllabus.

If you've time in your busy schedule - pop Classic FM or similar on in the background - and get him talking about it.

#36 Dulcet

Dulcet

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • Member: 112579

Posted 04 May 2011 - 20:54

QUOTE(anacrusis @ May 4 2011, 07:31 PM) View Post

Anacrusis! ohmy.gif

I have to say - all the scheduling I've seen in this thread strikes me as anything but stress free, and believe me, I know what stress looks like, in my line of work ph34r.gif.

I have a colleague who, when under stress at work, sets detailed timetables to ensure that everything gets done. This then leads to everyone else getting hacked off as it means that they get their heads bitten off each time they have a question or a task which the colleague "CAN'T DO BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY". So I do try not to get timetable bound but just point out to my children that there is only a limited time in the day and it is obviously better to practice when they're not tired. DS1's piano teacher tells us that his mother would get him out of bed to practice at 10.30 at night if he hadn't done it in the daytime... I think he may be maligning her but I do remind DS1 that I'm not the meanest mummy in the world...

#37 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:02

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 4 2011, 05:52 PM) View Post
First practice went well today. Luckily he'd played one of his pieces for a competition in school so we excluded that. I did each major scale and arpeggio alternating so if scale was slurred then arpeggio was tongued. E major was weak but it was slurred. Remembered all scales but some errors on arpeggios. He had an air of non-pressured confidence about him....little s*&+

Started the Montagues - went better than thought and focused on tenor clef troubles in one section so will do next section tomorrow.

I still need to get my head around aural and sight-reading but I think I will save that for weekends.

Feel positive today - that will change as all of DS cricket matches are away so home by 7:30pm every Wednesday as of next week! sad.gif

Thank you for the support. Now off to do the minors as tomorrow will only be 20mins and we'll be on SueHM's schedule! smile.gif

Sigh..... huh.gif
I need a stress free schedule for my life! I got home yesterday to hear that apparently she is doing Gr 6 violin this term. She does not know her scales at all. Last term she was entered for her theory and I (We?) spent every morning doing theory before school. It was pretty stressful....... She was only half way thro the Gr 3 book at the time. I told her if she were my pupil, I wouldn't enter her- and she rose to the challenge.
So I have now tried that today- and she did practice properly without my supervision (YAY- one battle over for today). My pupils doing their grade 6 next term know more scales than she does! And she hasn't even chosen her B piece yet!
I was lying awake worrying about that last night! I thought we'd be ok, when piano teacher and I decided to put Gr 3 off til next term. Violin teacher had said they were 'Technique developing' and not doing exams for a bit... and I thought "YAY".
DD is vvvvvvv busy- she is a gymnast- doing stupid hours too! She also has lots of homework, school exams coming up (she's in 'scholarship set'- pressure!)...... On the plus side, she has just given up scouts and i've nearly persuaded her to give up ballet....... She is also in school teams... and like you MNW, she has some away matches this term!

Help me.... how am we going to cope (gym comp in July too, with a new heavier partner- so no let up there)

#38 Guest: MusicalNitWit_*

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:07

QUOTE(Clari Nicki1 @ May 4 2011, 10:02 PM) View Post

Sigh..... huh.gif
I need a stress free schedule for my life! I got home yesterday to hear that apparently she is doing Gr 6 violin this term. She does not know her scales at all. Last term she was entered for her theory and I (We?) spent every morning doing theory before school. It was pretty stressful....... She was only half way thro the Gr 3 book at the time. I told her if she were my pupil, I wouldn't enter her- and she rose to the challenge.
So I have now tried that today- and she did practice properly without my supervision (YAY- one battle over for today). My pupils doing their grade 6 next term know more scales than she does! And she hasn't even chosen her B piece yet!
I was lying awake worrying about that last night! I thought we'd be ok, when piano teacher and I decided to put Gr 3 off til next term. Violin teacher had said they were 'Technique developing' and not doing exams for a bit... and I thought "YAY".
DD is vvvvvvv busy- she is a gymnast- doing stupid hours too! She also has lots of homework, school exams coming up (she's in 'scholarship set'- pressure!)...... On the plus side, she has just given up scouts and i've nearly persuaded her to give up ballet....... She is also in school teams... and like you MNW, she has some away matches this term!

Help me.... how am we going to cope (gym comp in July too, with a new heavier partner- so no let up there)

I think instead of a musical soiree to soothe our souls, we should all just meet up in London and hit a few wine bars!

#39 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • France

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:18

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 4 2011, 11:07 PM) View Post

I think instead of a musical soiree to soothe our souls, we should all just meet up in London and hit a few wine bars!

Come and live in France - there's lots of wine and exams are only once every four years smile.gif

#40 muzikalbadger

muzikalbadger

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1482 posts
  • Member: 65753
  • Scotland

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:23

QUOTE(kerioboe @ May 4 2011, 10:18 PM) View Post

Come and live in France - there's lots of wine and exams are only once every four years smile.gif

Can I come too???!!! That sounds bliss... The 4 months I spent working in France during my summer break after 1st year uni were some of the most relaxed, enjoyable, most memorable months ever!!!

#41 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • France

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:26

QUOTE(muzikalbadger @ May 4 2011, 11:23 PM) View Post

Can I come too???!!! That sounds bliss... The 4 months I spent working in France during my summer break after 1st year uni were some of the most relaxed, enjoyable, most memorable months ever!!!

I should have added as well for MusicalNitWit that there are no scales either smile.gif

But actually in reality I find the system excessively rigid ph34r.gif

#42 muzikalbadger

muzikalbadger

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1482 posts
  • Member: 65753
  • Scotland

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:28

QUOTE(kerioboe @ May 4 2011, 10:26 PM) View Post

QUOTE(muzikalbadger @ May 4 2011, 11:23 PM) View Post

I should have added as well for MusicalNitWit that there are no scales either smile.gif

But actually in reality I find the system excessively rigid ph34r.gif

I get that impression from several posts from you and the other french living forumites... But I love France... Love the culture and way of life...

#43 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:57

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 4 2011, 09:07 PM) View Post

Sigh..... huh.gif

Tempting ......

#44 Dulcet

Dulcet

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • Member: 112579

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:17

QUOTE(Clari Nicki1 @ May 5 2011, 07:57 AM) View Post

QUOTE(MusicalNitWit @ May 4 2011, 09:07 PM) View Post

Sigh..... huh.gif

Tempting ......

hmmm I'm just remembering Cafe Bordeaux... such a long time since I was out with the girls...

#45 Guest: MusicalNitWit_*

• Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:49

If a student has two pieces near perfect, is once a week enough on a tight schedule?