Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts
  • Member: 87755
  • Central America

Posted 07 May 2011 - 18:28

QUOTE(jod @ May 6 2011, 05:39 AM) View Post

Plato was missing for a fortnight, and just as I thought he was gone for ever neighbours spotted him settling in to a feral colony. He was the same age then as harry is now. Plato is still with us and is approximately 14.

Is Harry a complete male as they are more likely to roam particularly as there are likely to be many queen cats in season at this time of year?

Local vets and animal shelters will tell you if is bad news, but as he is male complete or neutered, up until you know he is dead do not give up hope.

I do feel for you. We were very sad when Plato was missing.

My sister's cat was found after two weeks too... hang in there, a mum! sad.gif

#32 Sunrise

Sunrise

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3392 posts
  • Member: 106844
  • Gibraltar

Posted 07 May 2011 - 18:30

I keep hoping to see a message to say Harry's come home. I really hope he does soon. Hugs...

#33 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18870 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 07 May 2011 - 19:30

what she said xx

#34 klavierkat

klavierkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Member: 48848
  • Weybridge, Surrey

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:07

Any news yet? I've just seen your thread and quickly skimmed down to the end looking for good news. We've had several cats - one of whom was a "Harry" - and after sad incidents, we now religiously call our cat home early evening and then he does not go out again. We too have a lot of foxes in our area and i want our cat to be in a good routine of eating supper, going out for a walk/some fun, then coming home to bed. I try to encourage him to stay close during the day if possible too and don't let him out at the front if I can help it. I'm glad to hear Harry is chipped, lets hope he comes home very soon, sweet as pie as if nothing has happened.... Thinking of you.

#35 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5364 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:18

Any news? I just thought I would pop back in to say that foxes are not necessarily a threat. Several posters have expressed worry about cats and foxes. When we lived in London we had foxes who visited the large shared garden of our block of flats and one evening a neighbour telelphoned to tell us to look out of the window. There on the lawn was a vixen and her three cubs playing with one of of our cats - who was at the time a large kitten. They were having a great time together.

My brother has foxes who visit his garden and his two cats have never been harmed. In any case cats can shine up a tree which a fox can't do.

Don't give up hope. Still thinking of you. grouphug.gif

#36 Halka

Halka

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1454 posts
  • Member: 11036

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:49

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ May 8 2011, 03:18 PM) View Post

Any news? I just thought I would pop back in to say that foxes are not necessarily a threat.

We live in a city area with a large fox population and the adult cats and foxes seem to leave each other alone. (Interestingly our pet rabbit sees off the cats, but has had a few close shaves with the foxes....)

I'm watching this thread too, hoping for good news. Our next door neighbour's cats often visit us (when not scared off by the rabbit..) and the young male went missing for a few days recently, but came back safe and sound, so fingers crossed Harry will be back soon too.

#37 a mum

a mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 10400

Posted 08 May 2011 - 20:58

Thank you all...but sadly no news yet. sad.gif

There was a possible sighting yesterday at a farm 3 miles away and we've visited it at night and at 5 am this morning, but it seems like it was a cat that lives nearby rather than Harry. We've been leaving some food there and it's been eaten up but it could be any of the cats from the area. There are quite a few around there. We just need a confirmed sighting to be able to narrow down the area and/or know that he's still alive and well.

Told our daughter last night and it has hit her very very hard. She's trying to be brave and optimistic and so are we...

#38 Capriccioso

Capriccioso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Member: 3982

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:37

QUOTE(a mum @ May 8 2011, 09:58 PM) View Post

Thank you all...but sadly no news yet. sad.gif

There was a possible sighting yesterday at a farm 3 miles away and we've visited it at night and at 5 am this morning, but it seems like it was a cat that lives nearby rather than Harry. We've been leaving some food there and it's been eaten up but it could be any of the cats from the area. There are quite a few around there. We just need a confirmed sighting to be able to narrow down the area and/or know that he's still alive and well.

Told our daughter last night and it has hit her very very hard. She's trying to be brave and optimistic and so are we...

Sorry to hear Harry is not home yet, I keep checking back here hoping for the good news message. Keep optimistic that you will have him back with you, I know that the worst thing is not knowing where he is. Hugs to your daughter, I remember telling mine and it was horrible. Oh, and keep putting the smelly clothing out in the garden, and someone also suggested dust from the hoover!

#39 a mum

a mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 10400

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:10

Just thought I'd let you know the devastating news. We had a call this morning from a lady who had been walking her dog along the canal. Harry was found floating in the canal. Dead. We went and fished him out and it was indeed him. We're unable to make sense of it all. He never strayed as far as the canal. I keep running it in my head wondering what I could've done to save or protect him.

I think I'm still in shock, and everything in the house reminds me of him. His food bowl under the kitchen counter is empty, the sofa where he used to lie around on, snuggle up next to us as I worked on my computer or watched TV, or sitting next to the door looking at us with his big pleading eyes, meowing and demanding food. i cannot believe that he wouldn't be coming in and I wouldn't be able to hold him again. It isn't fair. He wasn't even four yet.

#40 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40915 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:11

sad.gif Very sorry to hear the news, a mum. My sympathies go to you and all your family.

#41 NigelC

NigelC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Member: 35192
  • Cornwall

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:20

Dear A Mum,

Really sorry to hear your sad news.

Cats are independent, you can't restrict their movements, by keeping them fenced in our gardens like we do with dogs.

Harry must have been out having adventures, and I bet he's having new ones now.

As you say, it's not fair. The grieving process for our pets is horrible, and I really do feel for you.

All the best to you and your family.

Kind Regards,

Nigel

#42 muzikalbadger

muzikalbadger

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • Member: 65753
  • Scotland

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:22

Very very sorry to hear this awful news... My thoughts are with you and your family as you deal with what has happened. sad.gif

#43 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18870 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:27

Oh I am so sorry. Like many others, I kept coming back to your thread, hoping there would be good news.
Absolutely devastating. It is painful enough when they die peacefully of old age. What a loss for all of you.

#44 Czerny

Czerny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4253 posts
  • Member: 21097

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:29

Sorry to hear this - very sad news. sad.gif

#45 Halka

Halka

Prodigy