#2 ffliwt

ffliwt

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Member: 9572

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:18

I think West country violins miiight be in that region? I may be getting confused though laugh.gif

#3 Tassimo

Tassimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Member: 258719
  • Plymouth (Devon)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:20

QUOTE(ffliwt @ May 29 2011, 05:18 PM) View Post

I think West country violins miiight be in that region? I may be getting confused though laugh.gif

Now, tricky this one because I haven't heard great things about them. However, I am really aware that one mans wotzit is not another mans doodle. wacko.gif

#4 DiscoPants

DiscoPants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Member: 19120

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:27

for what purpose?

#5 Tassimo

Tassimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Plymouth (Devon)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:28

I would like to upgrade my bridge and strings etc.

Am I off down the wrong direction?? wink.gif

#6 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Member: 7854

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:33

It's a bit north of where you want, but I use Nick & Neil at Bristol Violin Shop. website

#7 Tassimo

Tassimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Plymouth (Devon)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:35

QUOTE(KTViola @ May 29 2011, 05:33 PM) View Post

It's a bit north of where you want, but I use Nick & Neil at Bristol Violin Shop. website

Thank you for that. No tooooo far, especially if I combine it with a general shopping trip.

#8 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:38

QUOTE(Tassimo @ May 29 2011, 05:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(KTViola @ May 29 2011, 05:33 PM) View Post

Thank you for that. No tooooo far, especially if I combine it with a general shopping trip.

Oh - it's very near lots of nice shops! Give them a call before you go if you want setup advice though - they can get busy, especially on Saturdays.

#9 ffliwt

ffliwt

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:42

Didn't realise Bristol was close laugh.gif
Even my general geography is terrible wacko.gif
What bad things have you heard about west country violins? Just curious as i spent a lot of time in various violin shops recently and jeez it isn't half a b*tchy business! laugh.gif 'so and so did this, so and so did that'. I now work in a violin shop so am expecting more to come laugh.gif Though it's Cardiff violins i'll be working in who don't like to so much as mention the name of another shop by principle smile.gif Everywhere else I went was very keen to diss all the other shops! I haven't heard anything about west country violins though so biggrin.gif

#10 Tassimo

Tassimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Plymouth (Devon)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:05

QUOTE(ffliwt @ May 29 2011, 05:42 PM) View Post

Didn't realise Bristol was close laugh.gif
Even my general geography is terrible wacko.gif
What bad things have you heard about west country violins? Just curious as i spent a lot of time in various violin shops recently and jeez it isn't half a b*tchy business! laugh.gif 'so and so did this, so and so did that'. I now work in a violin shop so am expecting more to come laugh.gif Though it's Cardiff violins i'll be working in who don't like to so much as mention the name of another shop by principle smile.gif Everywhere else I went was very keen to diss all the other shops! I haven't heard anything about west country violins though so biggrin.gif

Well......hahahaha. No, not going to say what I have heard because like I said....one mans whozit. So, I just take on board good and bad of all places and then try to come to some kind of conclusion.... ill.gif

I don't get why it all gets so nasty. I think that we all like to think that we are better than others. It is like that in the horsey world...drives me nuts it does.

I just want a nice straightforward down to earth person/people that are reliable. Don't mind paying for good service either.

So there! haahhahhaaa

#11 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:43

it's Cardiff violins i'll be working in who don't like to so much as mention the name of another shop by principle smile.gif Everywhere else I went was very keen to diss all the other shops! I haven't heard anything about west country violins though so biggrin.gif

I'm sure once you're ensconced behind the scenes at Cardiff violins, you'll hear what they really think of everywhere else, whatever their admirable policy is in front of customers!

#12 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 8716

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:46

QUOTE(KTViola @ May 29 2011, 06:43 PM) View Post

it's Cardiff violins i'll be working in who don't like to so much as mention the name of another shop by principle smile.gif Everywhere else I went was very keen to diss all the other shops! I haven't heard anything about west country violins though so biggrin.gif

I'm sure once you're ensconced behind the scenes at Cardiff violins, you'll hear what they really think of everywhere else, whatever their admirable policy is in front of customers!

agree.gif rofl.gif (it must be like that everywhere though ph34r.gif )

#13 ffliwt

ffliwt

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:56

Yes laugh.gif but what i meant was, i was going round the country to violin shops and every shop was saying 'oh you shouldnt buy the violin that you borrowed from so and so cause so and so does this and that and knows nothing'
I went to cardiff violins and their only advice was you buy whatever violin you want to buy from whatever shop you want, they didn't say anything about other shops or violins and in their words 'if you dont choose our violin, we'll still like you!' laugh.gif I didn't feel pressured there smile.gif
When the other shops were so bitter and negative towards others i just thought they must be insecure about their own service and kind of made me think what are they hiding ph34r.gif With all the shops (except Cardiff violins) I just felt like they were after my money and going to low levels to get it, and didn't care about me being happy with my violin! Even with luthiers i'd previously felt i could trust and had really respected sad.gif

My violin searches in the past with lower amounts of money were fun and exciting. This time, ending up with a nearly ?8000 violin, it was EXTREMELY stressful and enlightening for all the wrong reasons. I was enlightened as to how the luthiers arent just passionate people who want to help you find the perfect violin and be happy... THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY! i mean it's their job after all. and was also enlightened to the very big mark up that shops are putting on violins! It wasn't as simple as just choosing a violin i liked and buying it...

Sorry i went totally off topic! >_<

#14 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 8716

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:59

QUOTE(ffliwt @ May 29 2011, 06:56 PM) View Post

Yes laugh.gif but what i meant was, i was going round the country to violin shops and every shop was saying 'oh you shouldnt buy the violin that you borrowed from so and so cause so and so does this and that and knows nothing'
I went to cardiff violins and their only advice was you buy whatever violin you want to buy from whatever shop you want, they didn't say anything about other shops or violins and in their words 'if you dont choose our violin, we'll still like you!' laugh.gif I didn't feel pressured there smile.gif
When the other shops were so bitter and negative towards others i just thought they must be insecure about their own service and kind of made me think what are they hiding ph34r.gif With all the shops (except Cardiff violins) I just felt like they were after my money and going to low levels to get it, and didn't care about me being happy with my violin! Even with luthiers i'd previously felt i could trust sad.gif

that's 'bad'
I didn't have that experience with the 3 shops I went to in London, 2 big famous ones: Guivier and Beares and my local little one which is M J Healey violins, none of them would do 'inappropriate' talk like that, that's not right....

#15 Tassimo

Tassimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Plymouth (Devon)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:00

QUOTE(ffliwt @ May 29 2011, 06:56 PM) View Post
When the other shops were so bitter and negative towards others i just thought they must be insecure about their own service and kind of made me think what are they hiding

I happen to completely agree with you. If you think that you provide a good service at a fair price then you don't need to do (or say) anything negative.