• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Member: 322745
  • Guernsey

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:29

QUOTE(jojo @ Oct 3 2011, 12:21 PM) View Post

Hello Kate,

congratulations on making the most clever decision in your life: taking up the violin! biggrin.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

I'm Jo (jojo) and I started at age 37, now 41 (soon 42yrs young), so have been learning 4 years and 9 months exactly yay.gif

'not sure' the 'exact' stage I am at RIGHT NOW, perhaps around grade 7-ish as I am preparing with my teacher to take the Trinity Advanced Certificate this time next year and that is a performance exam equivalent to grade 8

I loved the grade 3 syllabus as it made me feel so 'grown up' biggrin.gif it's when you start shifting yay.gif I remember learning all the pieces in the current orange ABRSM grade 3 book, that was back when it was came out in 2008 smile.gif
My favorites were: Old Joe Clark (I felt like a show off violinist doing the left hand pizzicato laugh.gif) and of course 'Oh mio babbino caro' smile.gif I still play all of the grade 3 pieces occasionally, for some reason the hold a dear place in my heart smile.gif (maybe because of the transition to shifting???)
Are you learning any of these pieces by the way?

By the way: yes the violin is terribly hard, but don't worry....IT GETS HARDER AND HARDER rofl.gif rofl.gif

wink.gif I am joking but I am also being serious, BUT in a way, though it gets harder, it also gets 'easier', now I know it sounds like I am not making much sense here..... wacko.gif laugh.gif

as you get into the more advanced stages you will find that it gets more challenging (as the techniques you are learning are more advanced) and you get more critical of yourself (I am talking about the higher grades where I am at now), but you will also have learnt the skills to 'help yourself' more too, and you will have learnt a lot of the 'foundations'/building blocks so in a way it gets easier too....

hope I am making sense now biggrin.gif

I could talk violin forever so I'll stop now blush.gif

and more importantly than anything else:

WELCOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome.gif

#17 katemorrisviolin

katemorrisviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Guernsey

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:49

Oops I don't know what happened there.
Hello Jojo, you are where I want to be! It's very encouraging.
I've just got back from my lesson, which is always a joy. I hear him giving me his kind and patient constructive criticism and usually think, d'oh! why didn't I think of that/realise that! He's great. I am more or less self taught to grade 8 classical guitar, but I don't think that would be possible with violin; not for me, anyway. Guitar, played properly, is a very technically difficult instrument, but violin even more so I'm finding. I foolishly believed it would be a doddle only having to think about one note at a time instead of chords, but controlling the bow is the real challenge.
This is a long term project, so I don't care how long it takes me to get to any particular level, I just want to keep improving and do things thoroughly and correctly. I had to re-learn correct right hand technique on guitar at grade 5 having done things wrong from the start so I don't want that sort of thing to happen with violin. It takes me an hour and a half in my current job to earn the money to pay for my 30 minute lesson but it's worth every penny.
Jojo, I am doing that Oh Mio piece, murdering it at the moment but several weeks to go before the exam!
laugh.gif What are you playing?
Kate

#18 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 8716

Posted 05 October 2011 - 18:00

QUOTE(katemorrisviolin @ Oct 4 2011, 10:49 AM) View Post

Oops I don't know what happened there.
Hello Jojo, you are where I want to be! It's very encouraging.
I've just got back from my lesson, which is always a joy. I hear him giving me his kind and patient constructive criticism and usually think, d'oh! why didn't I think of that/realise that! He's great. I am more or less self taught to grade 8 classical guitar, but I don't think that would be possible with violin; not for me, anyway. Guitar, played properly, is a very technically difficult instrument, but violin even more so I'm finding. I foolishly believed it would be a doddle only having to think about one note at a time instead of chords, but controlling the bow is the real challenge.
This is a long term project, so I don't care how long it takes me to get to any particular level, I just want to keep improving and do things thoroughly and correctly. I had to re-learn correct right hand technique on guitar at grade 5 having done things wrong from the start so I don't want that sort of thing to happen with violin. It takes me an hour and a half in my current job to earn the money to pay for my 30 minute lesson but it's worth every penny.
Jojo, I am doing that Oh Mio piece, murdering it at the moment but several weeks to go before the exam!
laugh.gif What are you playing?
Kate

You are doing really well Kate and I am sure I will see you 'flying' with your progress on the violin biggrin.gif

You mention having to 're-learn' your right hand technique at grade 5 with the guitar, I had a similar experience with the violin....at grade 4-5, I changed teachers (as my first one was NOT teaching me any technique) and I really had to pull my sleeves up and re-learn everything and LEARN for the first time what intonation was on the violin! can you imagine? being almost grade 5 and not knowing what intonation really is about? wacko.gif

At the moment I am working on 2 pieces and 'brushing up' 2 pieces:

working on: Bartok Romanian dances (complete 1 to 6) and Bach Sonata n2 in A minor 4th movement (allegro)
brushing up: Bach Partita n2 in D minor Allemanda and Vivaldi Four Seasons Summer 1st movement

#19 katemorrisviolin

katemorrisviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Guernsey

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:47

Lucky you Jojo having the joy of playing Bach on the violin. That's one of my dreams, I love all that.
Intonation, that's playing in tune, right? idea.gif
I've got a good ear for that. Sometimes I miss my frets.....but the violin can be so much more expressive.
My kids told me I'm sounding "awright" so high praise indeed from them. woot.gif

#20 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 8716

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:25

QUOTE(katemorrisviolin @ Oct 7 2011, 12:47 PM) View Post

My kids told me I'm sounding "awright" so high praise indeed from them. woot.gif

yay.gif

I am now trying to really get a 'hang on' and tackle artificial harmonics PROPERLY ph34r.gif it's about time I do that! Bartok N3 is all but harmonics and can't 'escape them' ph34r.gif
at the moment they are very 'inconsistent', one minute I get them to sound really lovely, the next....erm... blush.gif ... eek.gif hides.gif

#21 Toscaviolin

Toscaviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 78226
  • Berkshire/North Hampshire

Posted 08 October 2011 - 16:34

QUOTE(katemorrisviolin @ Oct 7 2011, 12:47 PM) View Post

Lucky you Jojo having the joy of playing Bach on the violin. That's one of my dreams, I love all that.
Intonation, that's playing in tune, right? idea.gif
I've got a good ear for that. Sometimes I miss my frets.....but the violin can be so much more expressive.

I play LOTS of Bach too, he certainly loved the violin, you will be playing Bach sooner than you think. There are some popular pieces which are simplified a bit in many books, Gavotte, Air on A G string, Jesu joy of mans desiring....etc. I used these as markers, they were soooo hard to start with but every few weeks I'd try a bar here and there and then a few more and then slurs and then it would actually sound a bit like Bach....you get the idea I'm sure. I have since gone on to the more "tricky" Bach and partly due to time constraints it's slowish progress but well worth it, bits of double violin concerto sound almost OK LOL.
Another "carrot" is The Lark Acscending, I could only play about 4 bars once, now I can get a way through it, not necessarily in the highest octave but so that it sounds a bit like...well a lark ascending!!

Keep with it and your work will be rewarded.....don't worry about those days when NOTHING goes well and you feel like you , you instrument, everything is not suited and the parts will fall into place. biggrin.gif

#22 katemorrisviolin

katemorrisviolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Guernsey

Posted 10 October 2011 - 14:16

Tosca violin, I like your tip, and sometimes when I get frustrated I play something simple from months ago and it sounds nicer than when I was working on it and I'm reassured I am getting somewhere. Thanks Jojo for your comment too. We're all learning whatever stage we're at.
I've got my lesson tomorrow and have been attempting some vibrato. I don't know at what grade vibrato is expected with violin, but some of the pieces for grade 3 are crying out for a bit of vibrato, and the demo cd that comes with the exam book plays with vibrato, and I think the demo pieces are played with far too advanced a technique than would be expected for the grade. I complained to my teacher about this who laughed and got me started on vibrato. I can play one long note with some lovely effective vibrato, but putting it into an actual tune is another big step forward. It's very different from guitar vibrato where you basically stretch the string by pushing and pulling behind the fret; so very different technique. Basically I've spent most of this week's practice going up and down G major with long whole bows! At one point I thought, ### it I'll stick to folk fiddle....I have this thought at least once a week but it usually fades......

That's interesting, abrsm hash key'd out my rude word! sorry forum, won't use such language again! eek.gif

#23 lateviolin

lateviolin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 887921

Posted 13 February 2014 - 20:40

I'm 35 and started the violin 5 months ago having played the piano until age 18.

It's a little bit tough, found this old thread and would love to know how things have progressed over the last few years!