#1 jelly roll harris

jelly roll harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Member: 284834

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:59

Hi all. I wonder if you can help? I am trying to prove myself as a pianist but lost my certificates donkeys' years ago. I need to demonstrate my rather rusty skills by playing a piece at about grade 8 standard for a small panel of established musicians. It doesn't have to be a set piece or anything, it just has to be:

short.
of a grade 8ish standard (ie incorporating elements that you may find at grade 8).
easy to get hold of.
enjoyable!!

I tend to like fast, rowdy pieces but will consider anything. Love Beethoven's piano stuff in particular.

Any suggestions?? Thanks! Jelly.

#2 Claudia's Mum

Claudia's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Member: 7704
  • London

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:04

QUOTE(jelly roll harris @ Nov 30 2011, 12:59 PM) View Post

Hi all. I wonder if you can help? I am trying to prove myself as a pianist but lost my certificates donkeys' years ago. I need to demonstrate my rather rusty skills by playing a piece at about grade 8 standard for a small panel of established musicians. It doesn't have to be a set piece or anything, it just has to be:

short.
of a grade 8ish standard (ie incorporating elements that you may find at grade 8).
easy to get hold of.
enjoyable!!

I tend to like fast, rowdy pieces but will consider anything. Love Beethoven's piano stuff in particular.

Any suggestions?? Thanks! Jelly.

What about the Rondo from the Beethoven Sonata which is currently on the grade 8 syllabus? Or the Bach Cappricio which we have been discussing on the gap between grade 7 and 8 thread?

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13833 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:43

Well as I have said on other threads I'd steer clear of the Capriccio, but that last movemnt of Beethoven Op13 (as in Grade 8 syllabus) is a good idea. Or the first movement of Mozart K284 , also in Grade 8 syllabus.

But do have alook at the Kapustin Sonatina in the Grade 8 Syllabus, Rowdy and Jazzy in style , might be what your'e looking for , and not too difficult. Easier to learn than the Capriccio .

#4 jod

jod

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9899 posts
  • Member: 2939
  • Burwell, Cambridgeshire

Posted 30 November 2011 - 14:34

If you do not get scared off by the key signature, the Chopin Nocturne in B major Op32 no1 is very playable as it lies nicely under the hands. There are other Chopin Nocturnes of a similar standard, and they are very enjoyable to learn and play.

Both Debussy Arabesques have featured on recent Grade 8 syllabi recently too.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13833 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 14:56

QUOTE(jod @ Nov 30 2011, 02:34 PM) View Post

If you do not get scared off by the key signature, the Chopin Nocturne in B major Op32 no1 is very playable as it lies nicely under the hands. There are other Chopin Nocturnes of a similar standard, and they are very enjoyable to learn and play.

But Jod, OP asked for fast and rowdy ! Chopin and Debussy pieces are beautiful indeed but not fast !

#6 Claudia's Mum

Claudia's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Member: 7704
  • London

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:03

Month's Mind by John Ireland is definitely rowdy in places but has soft passages too - one of my favourites but probably not everyone's cup of tea. Sounds very impressive and is great fun to play!

#7 jod

jod

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9899 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:57

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Nov 30 2011, 02:56 PM) View Post

But Jod, OP asked for fast and rowdy ! Chopin and Debussy pieces are beautiful indeed but not fast !

No they are not! That was the art of playing them. Oh it appears that I must be disturbing my brains with all the coughing I've been doing!

#8 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13833 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:06

QUOTE(jod @ Nov 30 2011, 03:57 PM) View Post

No they are not! That was the art of playing them. Oh it appears that I must be disturbing my brains with all the coughing I've been doing!

grouphug.gif

#9 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts
  • Member: 43225

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:36

You could do the Minute Waltz in 45 seconds ph34r.gif

#10 Guest: VH2_*

Guest: VH2_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:38

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Nov 30 2011, 03:56 PM) View Post

Golliwogs Cake Walk ??

#11 jelly roll harris

jelly roll harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Member: 284834

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:39

Thanks all. I've just downloaded the Beethoven Finale. I'll try that blink.gif Was thinking of the Minute Waltz but didn't like the key signature much!!

Jelly Roll.

#12 jod

jod

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9899 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:41

QUOTE(jelly roll harris @ Nov 30 2011, 04:39 PM) View Post

Thanks all. I've just downloaded the Beethoven Finale. I'll try that blink.gif Was thinking of the Minute Waltz but didn't like the key signature much!!

Jelly Roll.

Neither do I, but somehow that fits nicely under the hands. No double sharps to contend with. tongue.gif