18 replies to this topic

#1 violindreams

violindreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 365530

Posted 06 December 2011 - 18:38

Basically, a few months ago my piano teacher suggested that after doing grade 6 I skip to grade 8 work. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it worked out ok for them? I've just taken grade 6 so will probably be starting my grade 8 stuff soon. Thanks smile.gif

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20182 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 06 December 2011 - 18:49

If your teacher has suggested this it sounds as though you have taken grade 6 at a point when you are generally playing at a higher level than grade 6/7. Your teacher knows your playing.

#3 violindreams

violindreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 19:03

QUOTE(sbhoa @ Dec 6 2011, 06:49 PM) View Post

If your teacher has suggested this it sounds as though you have taken grade 6 at a point when you are generally playing at a higher level than grade 6/7. Your teacher knows your playing.

Also do you know if the gap in difficulty of pieces is huge?

#4 owainsutton

owainsutton

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2450 posts
  • Member: 53883
  • Altrincham

Posted 06 December 2011 - 19:07

QUOTE(violindreams @ Dec 6 2011, 07:03 PM) View Post
Also do you know if the gap in difficulty of pieces is huge?

There's quite a range in technical demands between different Grade 8 pieces. Some could be Grade 7, but at 8 there's an expectation of greater expressive detail. Other pieces are much more demanding in technique.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13962 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 06 December 2011 - 19:08

It's a long time ago but I did Gr 6 to ALCM piano dip in two years. at the same time Gr 6 to Gr 8 organ (ABRSM) in a year and a term.
So it's possible. Good luck !

#6 Claudia's Mum

Claudia's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Member: 7704
  • London

Posted 06 December 2011 - 19:45

It depends also how long it has taken you to get to grade 6 and whether you want a pass or distinction at grade 8.

Personally I think there is a HUGE amount of lovely violin repertoire at grade 7 level which it would be a real shame to miss out.

Is there a reason why you need to get to grade 8 quickly?

#7 violindreams

violindreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:27

QUOTE(Claudia's Mum @ Dec 6 2011, 07:45 PM) View Post

It depends also how long it has taken you to get to grade 6 and whether you want a pass or distinction at grade 8.

Personally I think there is a HUGE amount of lovely violin repertoire at grade 7 level which it would be a real shame to miss out.

It's a piano exam, but the reason I want to skip is that I don't want to be taking grade 8 piano and violin and a levels at the same time as I will probably end up doing if I take grade 7 but don't want to do badly at grade 8

#8 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13962 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:33

QUOTE(violindreams @ Dec 6 2011, 08:27 PM) View Post

It's a piano exam, but the reason I want to skip is that I don't want to be taking grade 8 piano and violin and a levels at the same time as I will probably end up doing if I take grade 7 but don't want to do badly at grade 8

Yes that was partly my problem too. We rushed to do the ALCM in lower sixth, but took the Grade 8 organ at same time as A levels., and I hardly practised. Dont know how I got 125 (Pieces were 75/90)

#9 Claudia's Mum

Claudia's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Member: 7704
  • London

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:34

Oops sorry, you did say but I just saw your name Violindreams and assumed violin!

#10 violindreams

violindreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:40

QUOTE(Claudia's Mum @ Dec 6 2011, 08:34 PM) View Post

Oops sorry, you did say but I just saw your name Violindreams and assumed violin!

haha yeah I play both!

#11 Lucysop

Lucysop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Member: 291904
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:41

Hi there violindreams,
Not sure if this helps but I did Grage 8 in singing, piano and clarinet in the Spring session alongside my A levels, it can be done. I found that going to practice was a welcome break to the studying....but that was quite a long time ago now. It worked for me, but appreciate it may not work for everyone. To re-iterate the replies of others, the leap of what they expect performance wise is quite different between Gd 6 & 8, However I skipped Grade 6&7 in singing but def did didn't skip 7 for piano or clarinet, although my first clarinet exam was grade 5...
Good luck with your decisions, only you will know what work load you can accommodate. smile.gif

#12 violindreams

violindreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:45

How hard did you find it going from grade 7 to 8?

#13 Lucysop

Lucysop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Member: 291904
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 07 December 2011 - 13:22

QUOTE(violindreams @ Dec 6 2011, 08:45 PM) View Post

How hard did you find it going from grade 7 to 8?

I didn't find it too bad going from 7 to 8, but would have struggled going from 6 to 8 in both as its not necessarily the technical difficulty of the pieces but the aural bits and also the technical requirements of the scales arpeggios etc and the sight-reading. The level of performance expected is significantly higher with Grade 8, I got distinctions in both Grade 7 but narrowly missed out on distinction in grade 8 in both - frustratingly narrow - 2 marks from ABRSM.... rolleyes.gif I think you also need time to explore other repertoire between the grades as well to get a better insight generally and improve musicianship, but that is just my own optinion, others may have a different view. smile.gif

#14 SaxLad

SaxLad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Member: 23734

Posted 07 December 2011 - 17:24

Hi,

I'm a Sax Player, so a bit different from Piano, but I skipped straight to Gr.8 after Gr.6 and got Distinction at gr8 so it is possible.

#15 violindreams

violindreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:06

I think you also need time to explore other repertoire between the grades as well to get a better insight generally and improve musicianship,

I tend to learn some other pieces that my teacher recommends in between grades and sometimes when I am learning pieces. Also, I will be waiting for the next syllabus to come out so will probably be learning some pieces at the same time as my scales etc.