lottie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3923 posts
  • Member: 9057
  • In among the purple heather of Scotland

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:16

Do any of you use a digital tuner? Any advice on choosing one please?

I had a little silver one that was dropped by accident so I replaced it with a "Snark" which is not much use.

So now I'm going to 'invest' in a decent one and NOT a gimmicky one blush.gif rolleyes.gif

A lot of the time I do use a tuning fork and my 'ear' because it's valuable training but I MUST have a reliable digital tuner to work with.

#2 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 8716

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:37

I am a 'recovering addict' so I can't recommend one laugh.gif

these days I only use the tuning fork

after that old fashioned open strings, intervals/chords/thirds/drones etc blush.gif my ear smile.gif

I am finding it 'really' hard but am being a 'good girl', it is very much like trying not to go back to 'drugs and alcohol' though, I find myself wanting to reach back for that tuner (though I can't as I disposed of it) and can't wait to see my teacher as I am having nightmares of my intonation getting worse but it's actually getting better biggrin.gif

ps must specify that I was never addicted to either drugs or alcohol though laugh.gif ph34r.gif

pps am sure someone else will be able to recommend a good tuner though smile.gif

#3 lottie

lottie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3923 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 21:00

QUOTE(jojo @ Dec 6 2011, 08:37 PM) View Post

after that old fashioned open strings, intervals/chords/thirds/drones etc blush.gif my ear smile.gif

Oooh what are drones? (please biggrin.gif )

#4 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 21:17

QUOTE(lottie @ Dec 6 2011, 09:00 PM) View Post

QUOTE(jojo @ Dec 6 2011, 08:37 PM) View Post

Oooh what are drones? (please biggrin.gif )

you can read here:

http://www.dwerden.c...ree_version.pdf

and see here, this is the 'drone cd' I bought which I use not all the time but 'once in a while'

they sell them in different versions so if you decide to buy one make sure you buy the one in A=440 laugh.gif wink.gif

http://www.wix.com/r...z/the-tuning-cd

sorry, my first link was for 'brass players' laugh.gif but in the second link there will be some info under the 'instructions' where you find instructions for 'viola' players and also some info under the information link (sorry again blush.gif) put the first link in a hurry without looking at it but still 'useful' I think wink.gif

I emphasise that the tuning CD (or 'any' drone) can be used for any instrument and for singers too

#5 Jacobi

Jacobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Member: 58524
  • Nottingham

Posted 06 December 2011 - 21:29

(for violin) I just tune the A with "audio tuner" which is free and works with a computer microphone, or occasionally using a tuning fork (should do it more often this way!). then the D and G by listening for the fifth, same for the E, which I sometimes double check afterwards

There is also an android apps which I use for getting the A if I dont have computer nearby

#6 ffliwt

ffliwt

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Member: 9572

Posted 06 December 2011 - 21:55

I have a snark which i find really useful but usually im in a practise room in college so bash out an A on the piano tongue.gif

#7 lottie

lottie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3923 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:06

QUOTE(ffliwt @ Dec 6 2011, 09:55 PM) View Post

I have a snark which i find really useful but usually im in a practise room in college so bash out an A on the piano tongue.gif

I did like my Snark to start with but I found out it is not very accurate!!! ohmy.gif (compared to my other tuner and my friend's scarily brilliant ear (and her tuner))!!! It's also quite tricky to use on my viola because the scroll is so far away... and clipped to the music stand it just wasn't sensitive enough and just kept going blank.

Maybe I had a faulty one blink.gif But I've had it too long to send it back sad.gif

#8 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4217 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:38

I have an Intellituner which I use for tuning my clarsach (or kids violins when I'm in a hurry). I've always been very happy with it, and I think it's a similar price to the Snark. I have just bought one for my son for Xmas too. Would post a link, except I'm Very Hopeless at that sort of thing biggrin.gif but you can get them on Amazon.

#9 ffliwt

ffliwt

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Member: 9572

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:39

QUOTE(lottie @ Dec 7 2011, 08:06 AM) View Post

QUOTE(ffliwt @ Dec 6 2011, 09:55 PM) View Post

I did like my Snark to start with but I found out it is not very accurate!!! ohmy.gif (compared to my other tuner and my friend's scarily brilliant ear (and her tuner))!!! It's also quite tricky to use on my viola because the scroll is so far away... and clipped to the music stand it just wasn't sensitive enough and just kept going blank.

Maybe I had a faulty one blink.gif But I've had it too long to send it back sad.gif

Sometimes it does absolutely drive me mad and tell me im playing a totally different note to what i am... i find it ok for just tuning and i always use the mic rather than vibration setting... i use it for my sevcik 4th position study - i totally am rubbish at it and have no idea what note im really playing when i put my finger down so i use it to make sure i AM playing the notes that are written, but sometimes, maybe when it's running out of battery, i'll be playing an B and it'll say im playing an F or something totally random... ENFURIATING!

#10 SkyT13

SkyT13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Member: 275700

Posted 08 December 2011 - 00:04

I'm using a free app on my phone (cleartune). It's great because there are two ways I can use it - first I can get it to play a note and then tune to that, and second I can play a note and it can tell me what it is! smile.gif It's been fairly reliable as far as I can tell...

#11 celloml

celloml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Member: 193926

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:55

I use a KORG tuner which are fairly common... and reliable.
It tunes nicely down to the cellos low C as well as the violins high E

Some tuners have problem sensing extreme pitches....
which is why your tuner might have given you a harmonic F when you played B, ffliwt

#12 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6392 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:19

QUOTE(celloml @ Dec 8 2011, 04:55 AM) View Post

Some tuners have problem sensing extreme pitches....
which is why your tuner might have given you a harmonic F when you played B, ffliwt

I had one of these once, but it wasn't only extreme pitches, it had problems with. The only instrument it could reliably recognise pitches on was the piano, which was not much use as it was the only instrument I didn't intend to tune. It was completely useless for the cello, trombone and oboe.

#13 Guest: VH2_*

Guest: VH2_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:21

I don't need one, as I have partial perfect pitch. That is to say I can recognize or hum an accurate concert pitch A, Bb, or C without an external reference.

I believe that this limited form of perfect pitch is very common amongst musicians, although full perfect pitch is rare.

#14 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:31

wave.gif VH2 what instrument/s do you play? (sorry if I go 'off-topic') biggrin.gif

I know what you mean about the 'relative pitch' though, I am beginning to develop it as I can remember what A/B/C/D/E sound like now and I can tune my violin without any reference if I want to smile.gif but I still use a tuning fork for 'comfort' and 'reassurance'

#15 Guest: VH2_*

Guest: VH2_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:48

QUOTE(jojo @ Dec 8 2011, 10:31 AM) View Post

wave.gif VH2 what instrument/s do you play?

Mostly piano.