clariflutegal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 352159
  • Scunthorpe - North Lincolnshire

Posted 16 April 2012 - 21:03

Just wondered if anyone uses the aural training app and have you found it useful? I think it's ok for the singing back (as long as you don't hesitate so it fully records you!), the sight singing seems fine but the main issue for me is the last part. I think alot of the words used seem similar and I can't always think of which choices to make! And when given the option of cresc/dim, major/minor etc are you meant to select them when they apply to the piece?? I find the tapping back on the phone quite difficult too. I am basing these findings on the Grade 4/5 one.

I did find a non-ABRSM aural app that seemed really good but unfortunately only went up to Grade 3 sad.gif

#2 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:22

QUOTE(clariflutegal @ Apr 16 2012, 10:03 PM) View Post

Just wondered if anyone uses the aural training app and have you found it useful? I think it's ok for the singing back (as long as you don't hesitate so it fully records you!), the sight singing seems fine but the main issue for me is the last part. I think alot of the words used seem similar and I can't always think of which choices to make! And when given the option of cresc/dim, major/minor etc are you meant to select them when they apply to the piece?? I find the tapping back on the phone quite difficult too. I am basing these findings on the Grade 4/5 one.

I did find a non-ABRSM aural app that seemed really good but unfortunately only went up to Grade 3 sad.gif

I used it and found aspects to it helpful. Like everything else out there it won't provide me with all my needs but as part of the training materiel, it's still VFM. I also use:

Ear Trainer
Karajan Music and Ear Trainer

party1.gif party1.gif party1.gif

#3 clariflutegal

clariflutegal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 352159
  • Scunthorpe - North Lincolnshire

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:50

QUOTE(cestrian @ Apr 17 2012, 01:22 PM) View Post

QUOTE(clariflutegal @ Apr 16 2012, 10:03 PM) View Post

I used it and found aspects to it helpful. Like everything else out there it won't provide me with all my needs but as part of the training materiel, it's still VFM. I also use:

Ear Trainer
Karajan Music and Ear Trainer

party1.gif party1.gif party1.gif

I will look into those other apps smile.gif thanks biggrin.gif

#4 Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Member: 267513

Posted 17 April 2012 - 13:08

I've used bits of it, but I haven't found it particularly user friendly. I've had to have several tries to get bits of it to work, and it isn't always obvious what is required. That said, I'm finding it useful in reinforcing some aspects of aural in a teaching context.