silverfoxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Member: 437559

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:26

QUOTE(AnnC @ Apr 28 2012, 08:01 AM) View Post

No-one is suggesting that she shouldn't sing Santa Lucia either in English of Italian, as long as the key is suitable. It's a folk song. Neither am I saying she shouldn't learn ANY songs in foreign languages. The discussion stems from the suggestion that she should be allowed to sing operatic arias or Italian art song, which I disagree with - at her age. There are plenty of suitable foreign language songs that children of this age can tackle, that her singing teacher can help with - after all we're all linguists, too. Arie antiche appear on the grade lists from grade 4 and are good starters for young voices - though not 8 year-old voices.

What do experienced teachers do with their own pupils? Choose songs for them being mindful of their age, gender, personality, stage of voice mutation if applicable, voice type - high, low, light, weighty - technical ability etc. We don't let them run before they can walk, but we don't hold them back either. There are far too many songs out there to enjoy for an 8 year old - in foreign languages, too - without delving into opera or art song. That's why there are 30+ choices in each grade listing, not the six or so instrumentalists have.

I'm glad there's now some general agreement that the girl should sing Santa Lucia (Calimero did a fine job of this song as I recall smile.gif ) and I agree also that certain arias (operatic and oratorio) should be avoided for now. I'm so thrilled as I thought 'This lady' was 'not for turning'

It would be thrilling to hear how the young lady gets on

#17 Guest: Steamy_*

Guest: Steamy_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:12

What I actually said was:

With regard to singing operatic style. At that age, she is never going to get the volume and probably the range as well. That is not a problem, provided she:

a) Doesn't try and push and strain to "sound like real opera singers"
b) Enjoys what she does.

There is some beautiful music in the Italian art song / operatic rep. Enjoy.

I fail to see how that can be construed as "Go wreck your voice attempting impossibly difficult stuff"

As has been pointed out by others, Santa Lucia (what this thread started with) derives from a folk song, has a range of an octave and one tone (on a quick glance) so should not be desperately challenging in a key appropriate to the young lady. I have every confidence there are other similar pieces within the Art Song genre.

I hope that minimum has the sense to maintain her daughter's enthusiasm for the Italian genre while keeping a safe vocal habit - and that responsibility rests firmly with her parents who I trust will instruct their daughter's teachers accordingly.

Steamy

#18 silverfoxx

silverfoxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Member: 437559

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:21

I'm comforted to see that minimum's request for assistance in relation to her eight year old daughter's intention to sing,' Santa Lucia', an Italian folk song, has generated such diverse and interesting comments. We have had everything from it would be unsuitable for an eight year old girl to sing this song through sing it but avoid straining the voice to sing it and enjoy it.

This is what I like about the performing arts and the desperate need for highly qualified teachers and experienced performers to instill best practice into students from an early age. Alas not all teachers are performers and not all performers are teachers. This leaves parents and students with a dilemna; do I go to the best performers or to the highest qualified teachers to make the best performance?

At eight years old a singers female voice will have the potential to mature and develop for the following thirty years or so and it's development should be in the safe hands of the best qualified vocal coaches. But this is not the complete story. She will need to be shown the art of singing performance by the best examples of performers. So how can we square this with the simple question about singing a simple, short song at a festival for the first time?

My view is we encourage the parent and the eight year old girl to sing the song and to own the song ,or sing it as only she can in the performance and to enjoy the sheer trill of doing so. To subject the parent with such pessimism, doom and gloom that singing songs in a certain way will be wrong is in itself the completely wrong approach. Singing should be enjoyed and not become a chore in the process of learning new songs. When it does singing should be set aside for a while and it will be time to change things a bit to inject fun and enthusiasm.

Most messages seem to have missed the crucial point that the girl already has a teacher and so it should follow that the responsibility for the girl's learning of best singing practice should be left to this teacher.

Minimum, encourage your girl to have a blast at this event and let the buzz and the thrill of performance take care of future events. wub.gif

#19 onemoretime

onemoretime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 114927

Posted 01 May 2012 - 16:22

I hope you all manage to read this as posting under a different name, due to my dyslexia and remembering passwords etc.

I can't thank you enough for your help and guidance and I can see the validity in all your posts. I have recently realised that I as a parent was very close to allowing my daughter to sing unsuitable material. However, Santa Lucia is staying as she seems fine and as far as I am aware their is no struggle with reaching notes. I do give her far more material than her teacher as she practices such alot. I bought the abrsm songbooks grades 1-3 and she has done most of them to a good standard now.
She does sing in a choir so any music I find outside graded pieces I will make sure they are within the same range as her choir pieces.

The latest of course is Young Musician on Friday nights and the knowledge that children can go to a music college. (JD) Now she has set herself a challenge to audition when she is 11 and is adamant she's going. I guess we had better start saving.

Thank you all again I'm sure I'll have many more silly questions to ask in the future