#1 Blackbird77

Blackbird77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Member: 11830

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:58

Apologies for another case topic but any help and advice would be much appreciated. I need to find a lightweight, shaped violin case to transport Hamish in when I go back for lessons that would be suitable for a regular long journey via bus/train. It needs to have a neck strap for extra security as Hamish is very narrow.

Unfortunately my budget is very limited and I can't go over 100 pounds which I realise is not going to get me anything special but if anyone has any suggestions of suitable cases in that range it would be much appreciated.

#2 jessy

jessy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Member: 90795

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:02

The Concord shaped case at Stringzone is good. Very trad, very strong, nicely made. Not light, but has good protection. The separate music pocket is quite good too. I have one of these. Good straps and sits flat when it's open (unlike the Gewas, which have all the fixings on the base so are a bit unstable).

http://www.thestring...ped-violin-case

Doesn't have a blanket, but you would get change out of your ?100 !

#3 STRINGMUM

STRINGMUM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Member: 6262

Posted 26 April 2012 - 17:05

I have the concord case and it's good for the money. Sturdy enought to cope with the odd bit of jostling you might incur on public transport. It has a decent amount of padding inside, enough room for my kun shoulder rest and a neck strap. I wrap my violin in an old silk scarf so the lack of blanket isn't a problem.

#4 Hubicka

Hubicka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Member: 428345

Posted 27 April 2012 - 18:22

The only problem with the Concord case is that it lacks something very important - suspension. So when the violin is in the case, its back is in contact with the case, ie. if you hit the case, you also pretty much directly hit the violin. Even though the shell is pretty strong and unlikely to break the violin will recieve the impact. In most cases apart from the very beginner foam ones, the violin is 'suspended' so it isnt actually touching the back of the case.

I wouldn't reccommend it for this reason, but if you are only taking it on easy journeys where it wont get knocked, it's probably adequate.

A case around the same price (?80) that is far better is the 'young korean' shaped ones which are on this website http://www.stringsex...aped_Cases.html if you scroll down. There is also the gewa concerto which I and a ton of other people highly reccommend!

I think even this one would be better than the concord http://www.caswells-...iolin-case.html

Despite the concord having a good strong shell i'd feel nervous putting any violin over beginner quality in it

Does it have to be shaped? You could get a bam oblong case for under ?100 and they are light smile.gif

#5 DiscoPants

DiscoPants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Member: 19120

Posted 27 April 2012 - 20:06

Gewa take some beating in my view.
Good value for money, hard wearing, give excellent protection and look understated and classy.

#6 louloubelle

louloubelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Member: 408582
  • Northern Isles (of Scotland)

Posted 27 April 2012 - 21:00

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Tonareli fibre-glass violin shaped cases.?
The pictures make them look great, light weight (2 kg) with suspension. Available new on ebay for around ?104. Made in USA.

I have an oblong Gewa case which I really like and it gets a lot of wear, as the fiddle is off to 6 groups or classes most weeks, in and out of the car, on and off the bus etc. BUT my shoiulder rest doesn't fit ! The Tonareli looks really sleek.

#7 jessy

jessy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:00

Mick Gorge wasn't a great believer in the necessity of suspension and his cases are highly prized... you could always put in a piece of foam! laugh.gif

I'm not a fan of styrofoam cases which I don't believe offer good protection. I AM a big fan of Gewa, but their cheaper models don't have neck straps, which Blackbird specifically asked for. It seems there's always something you have to compromise on, much like life in general, I suppose!

The Ventura one (which is wooden) is certainly a bit of a bargain at Caswell's for ?40 - friend of mine has one of those and it's OK. Concord does have better quality velour/velvet, though.

Edit: edit won't let me get rid of that extra laugh.gif ...oops!

#8 Hubicka

Hubicka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:58

QUOTE(jessy @ Apr 28 2012, 10:00 AM) View Post

Mick Gorge wasn't a great believer in the necessity of suspension and his cases are highly prized... you could always put in a piece of foam! laugh.gif

Yes but his cases are a bit more high quality than a ?70 concord one ;D

You do make a good point though - i wasnt actually aware of that!

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13823 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 April 2012 - 15:09

Yes the cheaper ones from Gewa should be OK, though I paid ?150 for my wifes

#10 jessy

jessy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:09

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Apr 28 2012, 04:09 PM) View Post

Yes the cheaper ones from Gewa should be OK, though I paid ?150 for my wifes

Except they don't have neck straps, which Blackbird wanted. I sewed some ribbons into mine.

#11 DiscoPants

DiscoPants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Member: 19120

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:39

Presumably Gewa don't fit neck straps because they think they're unnecessary.

#12 jessy

jessy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 14:52

QUOTE(DiscoPants @ Apr 29 2012, 02:39 PM) View Post

Presumably Gewa don't fit neck straps because they think they're unnecessary.

Guess so. The pads in the lid of Gewa cases stop the instrument moving around whilst in transit, but I think most of us like that feeling of added security, knowing that if you pick up your case without having closed it properly that your instrument can't fall out.

The Gewa Super Strato Deluxe DOES have neck straps though, ties, not vlecro.

#13 Hubicka

Hubicka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 17:40

I'd always want a neck tie in a case that only had latches but with a full zip, im sure it would be fine smile.gif

#14 Blackbird77

Blackbird77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:59

Many thanks for your replies. I do like the look of the Gewa cases but I've discounted them because the ones in my budget don't have a neck strap. If I was buying a case for my other violin then I'd definitely go for the Gewa but Hamish is very narrow in the shoulder so a neck strap would be a must.

I don't mind an oblong case but was thinking that a shaped case would be easier to carry about as the journey I have to do involves a lot of bus/train changes.

I'll definitely have a look at the "Young Korean" cases and the Concord ones but all advice is much appreciated.

#15 Blackbird77

Blackbird77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 15:49

Well...........Having looked a bit more at the Gewa cases, particularly the Concerto and Maestro models, apart from the lack of a neck strap they do seem to offer what I need.

But just a quick question to those who own a Gewa (particularly the 2 models mentioned above) - I'm thinking of making my own neck strap and attaching it to the case - would this be feasible?

Many thanks again for your help.