• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Member: 37965
  • Midlands

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:41

QUOTE(Cyrilla @ Jun 5 2012, 12:16 AM) View Post

QUOTE(MKP @ Jun 4 2012, 06:08 PM) View Post

A vocal couch

I rather like the sound of one of these.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

laugh.gif Me too! biggrin.gif

MKP, I agree with you that I'd prefer my teacher not to accompany on the whole - I usually use backing tracks - but I'm interested in your idea that you shouldn't bring any accompaniment in too early. Do you mean they'd be singing without any accompaniment at all in the early stages of lessons? If so, at what point would you bring it in?

#47 MKP

MKP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Member: 454084
  • Newcastle

Posted 05 June 2012 - 19:59

QUOTE(Maria @ Jun 5 2012, 09:41 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Cyrilla @ Jun 5 2012, 12:16 AM) View Post

QUOTE(MKP @ Jun 4 2012, 06:08 PM) View Post

A vocal couch

I rather like the sound of one of these.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

laugh.gif Me too! biggrin.gif

MKP, I agree with you that I'd prefer my teacher not to accompany on the whole - I usually use backing tracks - but I'm interested in your idea that you shouldn't bring any accompaniment in too early. Do you mean they'd be singing without any accompaniment at all in the early stages of lessons? If so, at what point would you bring it in?

Hi,
I think it really depends on the student, but all in all I dont like to see an accompanist or backing track introduced before the aria (or particular section of study) can be sung through (without significant vocal faults). A friend of mine, who is an accomplished advanced singer told me that when she was studying (in the early days), her teacher ust to always accompany, and every wrong note, dynamic marking, tempo was putting her off. It also meant that she was not given the time to study the piano line, literally sit down with a recording of it or just the sheet music), to read through and learn the music and notice any small details that could be incorporated or influence her interpretation.
I guess it really depends on standards. Many people are happy making an ok job of a piece and belting it out with some form of backing as soon as possible......but for anyone interesting in professional singing....details, details, details. Of course, as a singer becomes more advanced things move much quicker as many vocal faults should be ironed out by then, and also the musical ear has grown and can respond much quicker to other instruments, I am mostly speaking about young singers rushing to hear the finished product and those teachers who are not giving students time to breathe in all the musical elements around them......I see more and more of it these days...There are too many singers and too few "Singing musicians" coming through....just my take on it

#48 adamks

adamks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 894915

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:28

Some Qualities to Look for in a Voice Teacher
 - Training and background in the style(s) of music in which you want to be trained
- A reputable education in vocal anatomy
- A warm personality
- An effort to create individualized curriculum
- Ability to provide in-person lessons