barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40884 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:07

With less than a month to go 'til we can say goodbye to Shepherd's Hey for grade 1 clarinet woot.gif , I have seen pictures of the clarinet and flute covers for the new graded books (no links I'm afraid, as they are to a non-ABRSM retail website, and EdGJ will tell me off laugh.gif - but google 'ABRSM woodwind syllabus 2014' in Google Images).

My opinion : the clarinet cover is rather nice, the flute cover is horrid...

#2 symphonic

symphonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Member: 36687
  • London

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:23

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jun 5 2013, 09:07 AM) View Post

With less than a month to go 'til we can say goodbye to Shepherd's Hey for grade 1 clarinet woot.gif ,

I cannot tell you how happy this makes me!!! biggrin.gif

#3 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40884 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:39

QUOTE(symphonic @ Jun 5 2013, 09:23 AM) View Post

With less than a month to go 'til we can say goodbye to Shepherd's Hey for grade 1 clarinet woot.gif ,

Would you like a pound for every time you've played the piano accompaniment? I would. laugh.gif

#4 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10402 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:13

This term I'm bidding a not-so-sad farewell to Hot Chilli, and a rather sadder one to Naughty, but Nice! I've got the new books on pre-order, so should get them on my last teaching day this term. biggrin.gif woot.gif

#5 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5797 posts
  • Member: 2747
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:56

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jun 5 2013, 08:07 AM) View Post

With less than a month to go 'til we can say goodbye to Shepherd's Hey for grade 1 clarinet

Thanks for the reminder that I need to get polishing the accompaniment to How Graceful. Again. mellow.gif

So, predictions. Voi Che Sapete stays for Grade IV (it's practically the law!), Summer from Victorian Kitchen Garden stays for Grade V, with the Prelude staying for VI, it's probably the turn of the third movement of the Mozart concerto for Grade VIII, with the Milhaud Duo Concertant due a return. Any more? laugh.gif

#6 RAM

RAM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Member: 381559

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:44

QUOTE(Deborah @ Jun 5 2013, 11:56 AM) View Post

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jun 5 2013, 08:07 AM) View Post

With less than a month to go 'til we can say goodbye to Shepherd's Hey for grade 1 clarinet

Thanks for the reminder that I need to get polishing the accompaniment to How Graceful. Again. mellow.gif

So, predictions. Voi Che Sapete stays for Grade IV (it's practically the law!), Summer from Victorian Kitchen Garden stays for Grade V, with the Prelude staying for VI, it's probably the turn of the third movement of the Mozart concerto for Grade VIII, with the Milhaud Duo Concertant due a return. Any more? laugh.gif

You can do the 3rd Movement already, can't you? My guess would be another movement of the Crusell Concerto and some different Weber... smile.gif

#7 Appassionata

Appassionata

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1609 posts
  • Member: 960
  • Down South!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 13:09

With less than a month to go 'til we can say goodbye to Shepherd's Hey for grade 1 clarinet woot.gif , I have seen pictures of the clarinet and flute covers for the new graded books (no links I'm afraid, as they are to a non-ABRSM retail website, and EdGJ will tell me off laugh.gif - but google 'ABRSM woodwind syllabus 2014' in Google Images).

I don't like either to be honest sad.gif

#8 symphonic

symphonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Member: 36687
  • London

Posted 05 June 2013 - 13:19

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jun 5 2013, 09:39 AM) View Post

Would you like a pound for every time you've played the piano accompaniment? I would. laugh.gif

Yes! I could then buy a new clarinet! tongue.gif

#9 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2013 - 14:07

Ooh, thanks for this, barry-clari.

Picture of young boy on flute pieces makes me feel a little inadequate, as an adult learner.

#10 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 05 June 2013 - 14:57

Bouncy Flute. Please, if there is a God, no more Bouncing Blasted Flutes. Please.

Way up there with Hot Chilli, andante_in_c....

See what you mean, Baz. Flute-Child appears to have a very unpleasant smell under his snout!! Lol.

Bouncy-Bag (yay.gif) x

#11 gwyntdi-enw

gwyntdi-enw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Member: 72467
  • Back of beyond and a bit further ...

Posted 05 June 2013 - 19:27

The clarinetist looks a little more "real" than the flautist, but I feel she's(?) more likely to be playing jazz, for some reason.

Is it time the various Finzi pieces had a break from the clarinet syllabus? I do like all 5 movements, but haven't they been there for ever?

#12 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2400 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:21

So are the actual pieces released yet? The recorder syllabus ends this year, and while I don't hold out great hopes for a massive change in the fringe instruments, it's nice to know what's happening.

#13 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:45

I never want to hear Funeral March again! I have 6 taking the exam this term and try as I might to persuade them all that Drunken Sailor or how Graceful are really nice, they all love Funeral March!

#14 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:34

QUOTE(Appassionata @ Jun 5 2013, 02:09 PM) View Post

I don't like either to be honest sad.gif

Nor do I....

#15 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:30

I haven't seen the flute cover yet, so can't comment, but this did get me thinking about what flautists generally would like to see on the front cover. It might be nice to have something different from the usual modern design - maybe less arty/abstract and more real life/ objective (actual pictures of real transverse flutes/ flautists from different cultures, maybe with a decorative border made up of quavers?) But then I'm no designer. Anyone got any thoughts?