BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Member: 37220
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:59

Just a quick one - has everyone else had their LCM exam dates yet, or are you all still waiting?

I only have one entry, but I haven't had any information about a date or time, and it's making me antsy. I'm considering contacting the rep to ask, but I thought I'd check to see if you're all waiting too before I do.

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20182 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 05 November 2013 - 13:27

I'd contact the rep. With LCM (and Trinity) efficiency is entirely dependent on the rep.

We are lucky with both as they have short exam sessions and the reps are helpful in trying to accommodate particular requests as far as possible.

#3 Hils

Hils

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Member: 7416

Posted 05 November 2013 - 13:27

I got a mail a couple of weeks back telling me that dates on the eric system could not be relied upon, but when I logged on there were no scheduled dates for my candidates anyway.  Hilarious.

#4 ExpressYourself

ExpressYourself

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Member: 113829

Posted 05 November 2013 - 13:48

Mine were visible a couple of weeks ago.  So I told all my students - and THEN got the email Hils mentions saying they're only provisional!

#5 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 15:12

I had that email too, but nothing since then.

If you're all still waiting for confirmed dates, that's reassuring, if a disappointing performance by LCM once again.

#6 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5126 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 15:35

I got a mail a couple of weeks back telling me that dates on the eric system could not be relied upon, but when I logged on there were no scheduled dates for my candidates anyway.  Hilarious.

Me too. :D

#7 tangerine

tangerine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Member: 116120

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:50

Still waiting, but the local rep has given me provisional dates and times. I must admit, I'm not at all happy with the new system.

#8 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:44

It's not unusual for my rep to be very last minute. I think one session there was 13 days notice.

I'm not always all for centralisation, but frankly, the ABRSM are streets and streets ahead of the other two boards in their organisation because they've centralised. We know when we're getting the notice, and it's always about four weeks in advance. If ABRSM offered music theatre exams, I'd never use anyone else for practical exams.

#9 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20182 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:26

It's not unusual for my rep to be very last minute. I think one session there was 13 days notice.

I'm not always all for centralisation, but frankly, the ABRSM are streets and streets ahead of the other two boards in their organisation because they've centralised. We know when we're getting the notice, and it's always about four weeks in advance. If ABRSM offered music theatre exams, I'd never use anyone else for practical exams.

Just shows how local organisation differs.

For me our LCM and Trinity reps are so good that I can know at least the date of the exam or the date to within a couple of days at the point of entry.

Results from Trinity are usually less than a week and LCM can be similar to ABRSM.

I'm much less impressed with issue of certificates. They take so long that it's not really much good for children who may want to take them into school to be presented in an assembly. By the time the certificates arrive we've almost forgotten we were waiting.

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5126 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:51

Just shows how local organisation differs.

For me our LCM and Trinity reps are so good that I can know at least the date of the exam or the date to within a couple of days at the point of entry.

Results from Trinity are usually less than a week and LCM can be similar to ABRSM.

I'm much less impressed with issue of certificates. They take so long that it's not really much good for children who may want to take them into school to be presented in an assembly. By the time the certificates arrive we've almost forgotten we were waiting.

Yes.  Our Head of Music does the "certificate presenting" bit either with the mark sheets, or a blank piece of paper so that it's more meaningful for the primary school age group.

#11 Brynfan

Brynfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Member: 96949
  • South Wales

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:12

To be fair to LCM, the ERIC system has only just been rolled out, and with any new system you can expect glitches.  Hopefully they'll learn from these for the next exam session.

Like Sbhoa, my local rep is fantastic.  She is able to request a specific week to hold exams and most of the time she will get the week she asks for.  If not, it is usually the following week.  In over 5 years, I haven't known them to be earlier.  With the ERIC system, she is notified of the dates of the exams at her centre and is given a list of candidates.  It is then up to her to slot them into times.  So if I have a candidate who can only do early mornings for example, I can request that. This flexibility is what makes me prefer LCM over ABRSM.  The actual notification is usually around 14 days before the exam, but when you know which week it's going to be it helps a lot.

The slow issue of certificates annoys me too. 

#12 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:41

So if I have a candidate who can only do early mornings for example, I can request that. This flexibility is what makes me prefer LCM over ABRSM. 

I agree this is one definite downside to the ABRSM system, but I do actually think that there would be scope to offer more in the way of slot requests. One I mention regularly is that there is an option to request "no Saturdays", but no option to say "Saturdays only". I have an adult student who cannot take exams because she's a teacher and can't get weekdays off. Obviously, there will always have to be a level of "no promises", but perhaps a preference and then a box for a one sentence reason for the preference?

#13 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20182 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:49

So if I have a candidate who can only do early mornings for example, I can request that. This flexibility is what makes me prefer LCM over ABRSM. 

I agree this is one definite downside to the ABRSM system, but I do actually think that there would be scope to offer more in the way of slot requests. One I mention regularly is that there is an option to request "no Saturdays", but no option to say "Saturdays only". I have an adult student who cannot take exams because she's a teacher and can't get weekdays off. Obviously, there will always have to be a level of "no promises", but perhaps a preference and then a box for a one sentence reason for the preference?

And the option not to have the entry processed if it's not possible to comply with a request like that or not possible to comply with a last available date (or first available date).

It's a pity that some who would like to use the exam system can't because of the possibility that they will only be offered dates and times that are genuinely impossible. I do see that one major problem with this is that it would be abused perhaps particularly by those who want to use the first weeks of a session as extra preparation time and would always ask for last week rather than have candidates prepared for the start of the session.

#14 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:43

And the option not to have the entry processed if it's not possible to comply with a request like that or not possible to comply with a last available date (or first available date).

It's a pity that some who would like to use the exam system can't because of the possibility that they will only be offered dates and times that are genuinely impossible. I do see that one major problem with this is that it would be abused perhaps particularly by those who want to use the first weeks of a session as extra preparation time and would always ask for last week rather than have candidates prepared for the start of the session.

Oh, your idea of offering to hold the entry until the next session/refund minus a small admin charge if the preferences can't be met is a good one! That way, you would distinguish between people with more genuine need and those who are just being picky/lazy.

Those who want to abuse the system will, but if you make it inconvenient to be too fussy, it should weed out most lazy people to some degree.

#15 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20182 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:57

Oh, your idea of offering to hold the entry until the next session/refund minus a small admin charge if the preferences can't be met is a good one! That way, you would distinguish between people with more genuine need and those who are just being picky/lazy.

Those who want to abuse the system will, but if you make it inconvenient to be too fussy, it should weed out most lazy people to some degree.

I was thinking more along the lines of if needs can't be met when allocating an exam appointment then it's not charged though a small fee might be ok. Depends on somebody's interpretation of 'small'. Also next session  is not necessarily going to be wanted as an option. People could have moved on by then and be starting preparation for the next grade some time in the future. 

Maybe it would be good if the applicant was contacted to ask if any available alternative was acceptable in the first place.

What I don't think is good is that I've heard of people giving a last available date on the form who are then allocated a date after that.

I think that question asks 'from when are you absolutely not able to make the exam?' and if you are asking that and can't comply the fee should be returned.