Photo

What has made you laugh while playing the organ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Kathleen Austen

Kathleen Austen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 895798
  • Medway, Kent

Posted 23 September 2016 - 21:58

Maybe a bit in bad taste, but my father found it amusing when he went to a crematorium service and they had the hymn Colours of day with the chorus So light up the fire and let the flames flow!

Brilliant! Would have had me falling off the organ bench in stitches too! :rofl: 

#17 Kathleen Austen

Kathleen Austen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 895798
  • Medway, Kent

Posted 23 September 2016 - 22:06

A couple of weeks ago, before a service, I had been (very quietly) practicing a particular hymn that had been giving me trouble.

The service started. I started with said hymn. Dead silence from the congregation ... "weird" I thought - it's a well known hymn ... why aren't they singing? ... I carried on regardless.

When done, completely mystified ... I moved the sheet music of said hymn to the back of my little 'arrangement' and brought the next hymn music to the front. In doing so, I realised with utter horror, that said hymn was supposed to have been played at the recession!!! :o I had gotten my sheet music muddled and had not checked that I had put the order right before the service! One mistake never to be repeated! :P 

#18 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5728 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 23 September 2016 - 22:21

I'm not an organist, but I used to be around the Metropolitan Cathedral in Liverpool a lot. The orchestral trumpet stop (the trumpets en chamade) sits on its own wind chest as it runs at much higher pressure. One day in the voluntary in full flow with the trumpets blazing away, it got a cypher. Cue the emergency cut-off for the air supply to the trumpets and the sounds of a wailing banshee as the pressure dropped... Quite how the organist kept going, I don't know...

#19 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7520 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 23 September 2016 - 22:47

My dad used to feel very tempted to just sit on the bench and do nothing, since the rector of his church had a habit of saying "the organ will now play while I present the palm crosses" or similar event. He said he was dying to know what music his organ would choose.

#20 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:29

Had quite an amusing thing happen yesterday. I was asked to play the hymn at the crematorium service for my uncle. It was set to Austria and I sat at the organ behind the minister. As the coffin came in, the tune Austria was played through the sound system, and was repeated several times to excess till the minister turned to me to ask me to stop. I had to hold my hands in the air to show him it wasn't me playing and eventually it faded out. When I did play the hymn to be sung by everyone OH noticed it was in a different key, but he'd thought it was me too! It brought a smile to my nephews' faces!

#21 Decky

Decky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 897250
  • Hampshire

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:24

It was our local vicar who was giving a recital at the time and while quickly turning the page during a rather tricky fast passage, the music fell off the stand and landed on the pedals. To the audience's amusement, he managed to bend down and pick up all the pages and put them back on the stand without even breaking rhythm with his right hand.