Really well done :)

#152 Musico

Musico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Member: 897655

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:42

Trinity Sax Grade 6 exam for my Son, received on the same day! Distinction. He's so happy. It's strange that there is such a long wait with ABRSM. We have entered both boards for different instruments and Trinity is always much quicker. Not sure why. Both are great Boards though and have been happy in every other respect.

#153 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22059 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:31

Trinity Sax Grade 6 exam for my Son, received on the same day! Distinction. He's so happy. It's strange that there is such a long wait with ABRSM. We have entered both boards for different instruments and Trinity is always much quicker. Not sure why. Both are great Boards though and have been happy in every other respect.

Trinity results don't go back to head office for checking but are able to be sent out by the local rep as soon as the session is ended. Speed of results depends on length of the session and efficiency of the rep.

Certificates seem to be appearing more quickly from Trinity now. Had my last one in less than a month.

#154 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 10 May 2017 - 15:38

My only Trinity exam was right at the end of the session, so got my results within the week. I understand you have to wait until the exams for that particular centre have finished, so if you sit at the start of the session you would have to wait longer, but I may be wrong.

#155 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 15 May 2017 - 13:51

Well done to all who passed their exams and commiserations to those who didn't or felt disappointed with results.

It's been a while since I've been on and apologies if this has been mentioned...has there been a cull of threads? There appear to be much fewer than I recall.

I completely empathise with the people who feel the marks didn't reflect their performance. I've now taken the first three grades and each time the piece I felt happiest with was marked lower than the others! That includes stumbling once or twice and not at all in the one I was happy with. I can never tell how they'll mark them. Some of the comments are consistent, many I don't really understand either. Without checking, I believe phrasing is one I'm not sure about.

I'm going from grade 3 to 4 in the next session which is mildly stressing me out. I can feel the pieces coming now but it's only a few weeks away until the next exam. It's probably not wise but I've got momentum and my teacher wants me to do it too. It's a long time to play the pieces between March and November or December but not long enough from March until June!

#156 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 15 May 2017 - 20:12

Hi there, yes I've noticed the thread list has become much less recently, does anyone know why.

My last exam experience (G4) in March with my pieces was exactly as you describe above, I got the lowest mark for the piece I believed I hadn't made any mistakes on !! Very puzzling

I'm going for G5 next but will be taking it in Nov so I feel like I have more time to prepare for this one. I'm half way with two of the pieces and 3/4 with the other, the scales list is ok too but I need to start playing them randomly now - haven't started on the aural for the grade yet though.

I hope you like the pieces you have chosen, they do grow on you don't they. you may have longer than you think if you get a date late June/July ? I think it's good to keep up a momentum and motivation, I wish you all the best with your exam preparation :)

#157 Dharma

Dharma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Member: 364553
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 15 May 2017 - 20:51

Hi there, yes I've noticed the thread list has become much less recently, does anyone know why.

By default, the forums show only threads that have been active in the last 30 days.

On a thread list, you can select "Custom" near the top of the list, and change the "Timeframe" setting to see older threads. You can also select the "Set default" to retain your choice. I'm not sure, but you might need to do this in each forum...

#158 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5805 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 15 May 2017 - 21:28

There is an option to 'show posts from last xxx days' - it's on the left side of the page if you click on 'view new content'

#159 Indisguise

Indisguise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member: 894753
  • London

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:38

There is an option to 'show posts from last xxx days' - it's on the left side of the page if you click on 'view new content'

I guess this shows how barren the adult learner section has become! ;) Nobody's posting. The teacher's forum in contrast has a dozen new threads every week...

#160 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 14:53

My last exam experience (G4) in March with my pieces was exactly as you describe above, I got the lowest mark for the piece I believed I hadn't made any mistakes on !! Very puzzling

I'm going for G5 next but will be taking it in Nov so I feel like I have more time to prepare for this one. I'm half way with two of the pieces and 3/4 with the other, the scales list is ok too but I need to start playing them randomly now - haven't started on the aural for the grade yet though.

I hope you like the pieces you have chosen, they do grow on you don't they. you may have longer than you think if you get a date late June/July ? I think it's good to keep up a momentum and motivation, I wish you all the best with your exam preparation :)

Thanks Tezes123, well done for passing grade 4.

I love my pieces for grade 4, praeambulum, black eyes and klage. I've tried to keep each set of pieces once the exams done and have them as repertoire but they're already slipping from my fingers as I use all available time for the exam!

I hope to join you in November for grade 5 without being too presumptuous. And yes, I hope I get a late June appointment, I really need it this time, I'm pushing my luck.

How did you fare in the aural for grade 4? I've done precisely nothing so far and I really must get practice in with the sight singing let alone the usual stuff.

Which pieces have you chosen for grade 5?

#161 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 16 May 2017 - 17:36

Hi -DaVid-

I played the Allegreto, Waltz in A & Uzbuna for G4, I had good results for the aural, sight singing came out well too although I was worried about it beforehand. It took me a bit of practice to get used to singing the intervals as it was quite new.

You've picked some nice pieces, I particularly like Black Eyes but didn't choose it because I'd been playing a different arrangement of it. I've kept playing the G4 pieces for now and use previous graded pieces for sightreading which I find helpful. Practice time is more limited this time though with the added scales list needing more input.

I'm playing Allegro, Sostenuto & an alternative for the C piece - I loved the B & C piece the first time I heard them. I always struggle choosing the A pieces as they never appeal to me but the Allegro is growing on me.

I find the ABRSM Speedshifter App invaluable to help with learning new pieces, do you have a teacher to help you with the aural, scales etc ? Have you been taking theory exams too ? I hope you are able to get on with G5 in Nov, I'll look forward to seeing your posts, wishing you well for your next exam. :)

#162 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 17:39

Hi -DaVid-
I played the Allegreto, Waltz in A & Uzbuna for G4, I had good results for the aural, sight singing came out well too although I was worried about it beforehand. It took me a bit of practice to get used to singing the intervals as it was quite new.
You've picked some nice pieces, I particularly like Black Eyes but didn't choose it because I'd been playing a different arrangement of it. I've kept playing the G4 pieces for now and use previous graded pieces for sightreading which I find helpful. Practice time is more limited this time though with the added scales list needing more input.
I'm playing Allegro, Sostenuto & an alternative for the C piece - I loved the B & C piece the first time I heard them. I always struggle choosing the A pieces as they never appeal to me but the Allegro is growing on me.
I find the ABRSM Speedshifter App invaluable to help with learning new pieces, do you have a teacher to help you with the aural, scales etc ? Have you been taking theory exams too ? I hope you are able to get on with G5 in Nov, I'll look forward to seeing your posts, wishing you well for your next exam. :)

Thanks. I'm devoting so much time to the pieces, I'm neglecting the aural. Should be ok though as I'll start on it over the next few days. Should be interesting, I'm no singer!

It would be nice if you could just choose three pieces from anywhere. I struggle with the C group, but too bad, so sad :)

I'll need to check out the speed shifter and there's a practice app too, I think? Possibly the same thing. I don't have an apple phone or laptop though but I'll find a way.

My teacher pretty much leaves me to the aural and scales as we have only a half hour per week lesson. To be fair, she does run through the aural and scales every few weeks though just to check I'm not slacking. I enjoy the scales though and sightreading so it's no chore. It's just harder to fit in aural to an already crammed work/home life/exam schedule!

About 20 plus years ago I was studying classical guitar and thankfully I sat grade 5 theory and passed...not by much. The only thing is I cannot find my certificate. I have until I sit grade 6 to find it! I think you can get a copy but I have no idea what year for sure I sat the exam, I think it was around 1993. I actually would like to sit 6,7 and 8 theory but in good time.

Good luck with your studies.

#163 klavierkat

klavierkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 48848
  • Weybridge, Surrey

Posted 22 May 2017 - 19:47

I haven't been on the forums for a while but l feel so proud I have to tell everyone I passed grade 7 piano in April. It was a comfortable pass too (111) with high merits/near distinction on all my pieces which is extremely gratifying. I worked incredibly hard, especially on the Mozart Allegro which at first had seemed deceptively easy .. l took the old syllabus, as it tookme 2 years to get everything ready, with amazing help from my teacher and friends. I'm now luxuriating in some pieces of my own choosing (Chopin).

#164 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 22 May 2017 - 20:18

Welcome back klavierkat and well done with your piano exam.