Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:07

PianoMike,

Are you aware of achieving a staccato effect by pulling the fingers backwards (off the front of the keys) rather than lifting them? I find this method much easier to control.

#32 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:57

Well that's another one done. Grade three piano this morning.

The pace at which the exam was conducted was at approximately Mach 3. The examiner forgot to ask for the third piece in her haste, so two pieces, sight reading, last piece. It actually went very well I feel. The only thing is dynamics were poor, it was all I could do to keep my trembling fingers on the keys which I did adequately.

Shamefully, I bought rescue remedy for my nerves but I don't think it helped at all.

I'm confident I've done ok, which is the opposite of grade 2. Couple of weeks to wait now.

#33 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21919 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:18

The pace at which the exam was conducted was at approximately Mach 3. The examiner forgot to ask for the third piece in her haste, so two pieces, sight reading, last piece. It actually went very well I feel. The only thing is dynamics were poor, it was all I could do to keep my trembling fingers on the keys which I did adequately.

Shamefully, I bought rescue remedy for my nerves but I don't think it helped at all.

I'm confident I've done ok, which is the opposite of grade 2. Couple of weeks to wait now.

Well done.

I remember my grade 8 examiner making things feel a bit hurried so I deliberately made space by using the 'when you are ready' instruction at face value. I didn't take an excessive time to start, just the time you would usually take during a recital.

#34 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 22 March 2017 - 17:40

Well done.
I remember my grade 8 examiner making things feel a bit hurried so I deliberately made space by using the 'when you are ready' instruction at face value. I didn't take an excessive time to start, just the time you would usually take during a recital.

Quite. I was a little more measured myself today than my grade 1 and 2. As you say, they say to play when you're ready so I took a few deep breaths on each occasion rather than leaping in. It really was breakneck speed though. I mean I was the second exam of the day so it wasn't like she was running slow. She ran a tight ship I'll give her that.

It'll be interesting to read the examiners comments because she certainly never wrote much at the time.

#35 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Member: 894703

Posted 22 March 2017 - 18:18

Chris - my staccato failings come with the turns,fingerd are less coordinated than legato. I think I'm bouncing off them high, rather than pulling. It's at its worse with the f sharp arpeggio, my fingers slip off the black keys with the turn under.

#36 CeliaPiano

CeliaPiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Member: 685609

Posted 22 March 2017 - 22:34

I thought I was ready until teacher asked me to play b flat minor scale in thirds, staccato. It was a mess, because I've not been doing much staccato, thinking that knowing the scale with right fingering were more important. I thought staccato would take care of itself. He then asked me for several other scales I know well but staccato and they too were a mess. I've got 7 days to get this sorted.

Is this grade 7? If it makes you feel any better, they only ask for a couple in staccato out of maybe 20 odd scales and arpeggios assessed so you won't be throwing too many marks away even if you messed up.

My teacher also told me that it was a myth to make the staccato "sharp and snappy" by applying pressure. Think short and bouncy and "flick the dust gently" off the keys instead. Not sure whether that made any sense but it helped me when I did mine last summer.

#37 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 20:18

Thanks. Yes it's G7. The shosta nightmare. Last chance to do the 2015 pieces. Pieces peaked late last year and now like others have mentioned, I'm starting to do weird things. Roughly how much of the requiremwnts are asked for, Is it some of everything of random and perhaps not touching upon some things. I'm also hoping to not get any dominant 7ths, esp f sharp.

#38 SwissPianoGirl

SwissPianoGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 893205

Posted 23 March 2017 - 21:13

I also use the staccato by pulling the fingers back technique. It really stabilized my hand. No bouncing! F# dom7 is my weakest as well. Bb minor a third apart is also a little iffy for me to do without finger collisions. My pieces are going OK, but I still have to play the big run in the Chopin slow to keep it even. 

My biggest worry is that I really will not have opportunities to perform these pieces much before the exam. I played at a piano store yesterday, and a little girl wandered over to listen. I got the jitters from that tiny audience. She did give me a round of applause though.  I still have two months to go, so I haven't panicked yet. :P

#39 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:41

Cannot sing notes. Too hard leaping between intervals. It's just guess work for me. Really object to this being part of the exam.