Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted Yesterday, 21:59

Hi PianoMike,

yes I noticed that, normally I've been asked to wait between the 2nd and 3rd piece while they write up some notes but not this time. There was an assessor assessing the examiner and I noticed the assessor was writing throughout my exam but my examiner didn't seem to write at all, very odd ? Nor did the examiner respond to me and only spoke to issue instructions, definitely no niceties that day, I left feeling quite cold but just presumed it was because she was nervous herself. - 108 my lowest score ever and the piece that I played without a hitch - 21 the two that I made mistakes on got me 22 and 23. No problems at all with scales list, sight-reading or aural but all just passed, such a strange experience.

Was wondering if it would be worthwhile checking out the requirements for your grade on another examination boards website, might suit you better ?

#122 jpiano

jpiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1816 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted Yesterday, 22:52

Hi PianoMike,

yes I noticed that, normally I've been asked to wait between the 2nd and 3rd piece while they write up some notes but not this time. There was an assessor assessing the examiner and I noticed the assessor was writing throughout my exam but my examiner didn't seem to write at all, very odd ? Nor did the examiner respond to me and only spoke to issue instructions, definitely no niceties that day, I left feeling quite cold but just presumed it was because she was nervous herself. - 108 my lowest score ever and the piece that I played without a hitch - 21 the two that I made mistakes on got me 22 and 23. No problems at all with scales list, sight-reading or aural but all just passed, such a strange experience.

Was wondering if it would be worthwhile checking out the requirements for your grade on another examination boards website, might suit you better ?

I wondered that too PianoMike. Could be well worth looking at Trinity instead. I'm not saying scales aren't important but I do find that ABRSM's higher grade scales don't suit everybody and can become rather a test of memory instead of musicality. Trinity has far fewer scales but you get to play them using different dynamics and articulation.

#123 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5756 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted Yesterday, 23:10

I pinged my teacher earlier who confirmed no results yet. This is my first ever practical exam and it's beginning to feel a little excessive. In this day and age, apart from some need to bench mark a random sample, this should be: exam - upload data - cross-check - issue i.e. 3 days. More than that indicates to me an organisation stuck in outmoded ways of working and in need of serious reform.

#124 CeliaPiano

CeliaPiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Member: 685609

Posted Yesterday, 23:30

Hello PianoMike,

I'm so sorry to hear about the outcome of your piano exam :thereThere: , especially considering how you thought it went and the amount of effort you've put into preparing for it. I know this because we were discussing the Shostakovich piece here a fair bit this time last year.  I'm astonished your teacher had only just mentioned scales being a concern after the exam. Did he/she meant they could be heard and thought it wasn't up to scratch or had he/she always thought that but never said anything?

Not sure what I'd do in your position but right now, I might try and hold back from jumping into grade 8 until I know I can do grade 7. That is just me though. I hope someone with more wisdom can offer you some sound advice. In the mean time, I hope it's not put you off from learning and that you'll continue to play for the enjoyment for now without the pressure of preparing for an exam. :piano:

#125 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 894703

Posted Today, 06:27

Celia. This was the first time I've asked the teacher if I can do the exam. Normally he tells me it's time but I knew it was the last time to do these pieces, which I'd worked so hard to get right.
Scales were a problem but I was hoping for a bit of luck, which he wasn't happy about but didn't stand in my way. I still think my pieces were worth more than 20 each. I think I've been kept low because the blessed scales weren't good.
I actually feel motivated now. I'll stop taking these exams lightly.

Tezes. You passed, try not to worry about the score - well done!