#31 A.U.K

A.U.K

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • Member: 10759

Posted 19 April 2017 - 18:52

I have to say I am perplexed by peoples desire to see musicians smiling in a concert..the level of concentration required demands total focus which is probably why most of the time they aren't smiling and look serious about what they are doing, after all the audience is paying good money to hear a concert or recital, they are hoping for the performers best and that takes a serious level of concentration. Sure they all smile like crazy in an Andre Rieu concert, it is a much lighter hearted affair, but I suspect the Berlin Philharmonics audience is hoping for the pinnacle of performance and execution and couldn't care a tinkers cuss if the Orchestra is smiling or not, they paid big money for those tickets and expect something for their return.

Also I have no problem with an artist who gets emotionally involved with their performance, it shows a connection with that which they have poured their heart body and soul into, some works take years to bring to concert level and the artist is naturally connected on a very deep level to what they are playing..I am not so self conscious that someones performance is marred because they demonstrate a physical reaction as part of their performance. I doubt the performer even realises that they are doing it..Music, like all arts are by their very nature physical and the performer can either show delight, sadness, intensity or joy in what they are communicating, it is no different to the physical actions we all use day to day in conversation, it is part of how we express ourselves..why would a performer be any different, why would it not be magnified as they try to communicate with an audience, sometimes of many thousands..

Before we critique a performer for performing, I suggest that maybe we should perform at that level and see what it's like.

#32 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5689 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:13

I'm not a professional musician but have performed quite a lot as an amateur.

I'm not going to make myself look ridiculous by plastering on some fake smile just because some people want to see that. Equally I will try not to scowl- so I will avoid being too unpleasant to look at, same as how I'd comb my hair and iron my clothes.

#33 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:58

In Kendal yesterday evening listening to the BBC Philharmonic play Brahm's nos.1 and lucky enough to sit on the second row from the front. From there I could catch glimpses of smiles between violin sections and cellos and also with the soloist in Elgar's concerto (Tasmin Little). There was a young violinist sat at the front of the second violins who played his heart out in the Brahms. No doubt he was very much enjoying himself.