15 replies to this topic

#16 MusicMatters!

MusicMatters!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 897542

Posted Yesterday, 12:35

I spend some time yesterday looking into the life of the fabulous singer Paul Robeson. What a voice! I have a record of him singing "Ma curly headed baby" and "Mah Lindy Lou"...I just adore his natural, effortless expression. There is such colour and depth to his voice. its lovely to discover a new to me singer like that! 

His life story is also staggering! Such a gifted and principled person. I've only watched 10 minutes of a documentary and read up on wiki, but already I understand he gave everything to his beliefs and for his desire for equality and civil rights for all people. Some very tragic elements to his life, but thats how it goes unfortunately. I'll need to do more research and listen to a lot more records. Hes fascinating! 

This morning, I returned to Quiters "Blow, blow, thou winter wind"...The way it is broken up into contrasting sections reminded me of "Ma curly headed baby". I always feel this technique adds charm to a piece. I understand it will need to be sung with a lot of luster but for the moment, I'm just delicately going through it and trying to get inside the songs meaning. Will report back once I'm drawn a few conclusions. But it is beautiful to sing, and is such a great vehicle for expressive diversity  :wub:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: singing diploma, dipabrsm, singing