Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Member: 488225
  • Mancland

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:29

Hi all

In my lesson yesterday I was still struggling with getting a good wind through my reeds. They feel very closed to me. Of course when my teacher has a go with the same reed in my oboe, she sounds ace!  :glare: So we have decided the reed is fine and my embouchure is just too tight. I have to try and relax my lips ....oh and take less reed in the mouth.

Wish me luck on my journey to sound nice(ish)

#32 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 27 April 2017 - 13:23

Maximum pressure from the abdomen and minimal pressure from the embouchure. That has worked for me. Hope you will get over the hump soon!

Hi all
In my lesson yesterday I was still struggling with getting a good wind through my reeds. They feel very closed to me. Of course when my teacher has a go with the same reed in my oboe, she sounds ace! :glare: So we have decided the reed is fine and my embouchure is just too tight. I have to try and relax my lips ....oh and take less reed in the mouth.

Wish me luck on my journey to sound nice(ish)

#33 dumdidum

dumdidum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Member: 488225
  • Mancland

Posted 27 April 2017 - 14:25

Thanks Wai Kit - I will give it a go and report back.

Personal question for oboists here as I am too embarrassed to ask my teacher this - do you clench your bottom when you play? I think I clench all over stomach/b um/pelvic floor etc as I am afraid in case anything ahem leaks ..... or is this just an irrational fear I have?!   :blush:  :ph34r:

#34 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16368 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 27 April 2017 - 14:40

Personal question for oboists here as I am too embarrassed to ask my teacher this - do you clench your bottom when you play? I think I clench all over stomach/b um/pelvic floor etc as I am afraid in case anything ahem leaks ..... or is this just an irrational fear I have?!   :blush:  :ph34r:

Depends what you've eaten ! :unsure:

#35 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 27 April 2017 - 16:19

Personally I have never had to do that and nothing ever leaked ^_^

Personal question for oboists here as I am too embarrassed to ask my teacher this - do you clench your bottom when you play? I think I clench all over stomach/b um/pelvic floor etc as I am afraid in case anything ahem leaks ..... or is this just an irrational fear I have?! :blush: :ph34r:

#36 A.U.K

A.U.K

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • Member: 10759

Posted 27 April 2017 - 21:33

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear about your father - and that you felt you had to resign from the Orchestra.  Though it can be no fun if you are not enjoying the repertoire they are playing.  I was fortunate that my orchestra kept my seat open for me when I took a break to look after my partner before he died.  I had a summer and autumn term off but then found it very helpful to go back - not least for being a night out of the house to see people without being expected to actually talk to them!

Congratulations on your new oboe - what make/ model have you bought?  I am sure a new oboe will help the incentive to practice. 

I had a good lesson last night - beginning to think about a potential programme for doing ARSM.  I've just ordered some new music - Hurd -  Concerto da Camera, Ranki - Don Quixote and Dulcinea and the Gregson Sonata.  I listened to the Hurd and Ranki on Youtube and they both seem nice. I'll let you know how I get on.

All the best

Hello Flobiano,

Thank you for your kind words regarding my father, he was a remarkable man with a gentile soul, I aspire to be a fraction of the Gentleman that he was. For me, leaving the orchestra was a decision I could not avoid, I never missed rehearsals, I was always there and I just knew that the call was going to come and that I would have to up and run which to me didn't seem fair on the Orchestra, being Principal I had a lot of responsibilities to them so it was best I stepped aside in case the call came just before a concert and I could not get a dep.

The programming also concerned me, there were all sorts of aspirational ideas being put forward which required near virtuosic playing, especially in the strings and frankly the woodwind were pretty demanding as well and I could almost sense disaster looming. Far better to play a more manageable program well than stumble through a Monumental work badly..That said they did push on and have made great strides under their new conductor and have produced some memorable concerts but I still feel I was right to step down and move on. I have a lot of technical issues to deal with and my time is best spent dealing with technique and studies, I hope in time that I will return and be a much better player and better served to fill the principals chair. I'm not a second Oboe, it's just not my bag and I would be a weak second..it would not be strong point.

My change of Oboe is quite dramatic, would you all expect anything else from me..I moved from a Loree 125 to a Ludwig Frank Model 12 Brilliant which he made for me. I was finding the Loree, though lovely, not quite working for me, I also felt it didn't really like the European scrape reeds and was more suited to the Long W scrape favoured by the Americans which I didn't really get on with. Loree have cornered the market in America so I can understand why they gear everything to that market and school of playing..So I decided after lengthy consideration to commission Ludwig Frank to make an Oboe for me which he did, it did take the best part of 6 months but it was well worth the wait..If my reeds are behaving, I can simply breathe into it and it plays, it is effortless. The tuning is extraordinary and the sound is a much fuller, more German sound, it plays well FFF or PPP and is a doddle anywhere inbetween, you can play freely, and really give it some air then back off and it is utterly consistent. I am struggling to alter my finger position, especially when playing in Ab major, the placement of the keys is slightly different to that on my Loree, not a huge difference but enough to cause me problems..The scale of Ab major is fine, all the way up from low Bb to top F but when I start jumping around playing studies or a piece in Ab I get in trouble so its a case of very slow practice in front of a mirror, (not something I recommend, it's not pretty) and consciously watching my finger placement..It's going to take time, and how I haven't set fire to my pieces in Ab and studies will remain one of lifes unanswered questions..mercifully I have the patience of a saint and just keep working away at it..it won't beat me. I suppose if push comes to shove I will go to Berlin and see Ludiwg and ask him to alter the keywork a fraction. All that aside I am delighted with my new Oboe, it is a thing of immense beauty both in sound and appearance and I am very happy I made the decision to change..I still have my Loree Royal 125 and won't be selling it just yet but I suspect give me another year and I will part with it and then get a second Oboe from Ludwig. The man truly is a master maker and his Oboes are sublime, he has been incredibly nice to me, very generous with his time if I had any questions and given his client list I consider myself very lucky to be part of that elevated group. (I didn't make the website as a noted player but I'm working on it...lol)

I shall be very interested to hear what you think of your new music..I love getting new music..strangely I have a new work coming from Germany which I noticed starts off in Ab Major..Curses,,,

Keep on posting..it's nice to have some of the old team back

Regards

Andrew

Thank you fsharpminor for your totally undeserved kind words!!! Thank you AUK for a much-needed boost to the thread!! I have missed you too, roseau, flobiano, hardying. ..

I've been checking in very sporadically but life has got in the way, as for other people.

Got to rush right now (last minute practice before oboe lesson - ver naughty! :() but I PROMISE to come back on here within a couple of days, read the new posts properly and report in.
:)

Ahhhh there she is, hello Kate..nice to see you back..I am glad to see you are still playing and working away at the Oboe..I felt it was best to re start this thread and see who turned up..

Keep us posted on how things are going and what you are playing

Regards

Andrew

#37 A.U.K

A.U.K

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • Member: 10759

Posted 27 April 2017 - 21:45

No I don't clench my buttocks when playing, they are far too big to clench anyway..it sounds to me as if you need to relax more and stop clenching everything from your buttocks to your embouchure..relax and let your air flow through your reeds..lets be plain here, you are not going to break wind while playing the Oboe anymore than when you are doing anything else..I think this overall tension you are describing is holding you back so try to consciously relax and just play a scale, actively don't clench up anything and just relax your embouchure and play.. and yes it's a totally irrational fear..even if it does happen once in a blue moon it's not the end of the world, you'll laugh, have a giggle and then move forward...

Best of luck... keep at it

Regards

Andrew