#121 polkadot

polkadot

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1539 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 10 June 2017 - 16:38

Apparently there is now Brexism and Brexists, and employers are being advised to watch out for it in the workplace and in the recruitment process.

The following are dictionary definitions of racism and/or sexism.  Just substitute Brexit.

1.  The belief that one’s own race/gender/view about Brexit is superior to the other.

2.  Antagonism directed against someone of a different race/gender/view about Brexit based on the belief that one’s own gender/race/view is superior.

3.  Attitudes that foster stereotypes based on race/gender/a person’s view about Brexit.

#122 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5737 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 10 June 2017 - 16:45

Doesn't that come under existing rules prohibiting discrimination on political grounds? Not sure why it needs to be a specific category on its own?

#123 Car Expert

Car Expert

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31273 posts
  • Member: 3680
  • UK - rural North Norfolk\East Anglia. Lincoln 104 miles. Ipswich 66 miles. Oxford 193 miles. Lewes 199 miles.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 21:57

This was posted on my Facebook feed, which sums up the election results quite well:

So the Conservatives won, but lost...

Labour lost, but won...

The SNP won and lost in Scotland, but still won...

And the Conservatives won in Scotland, but lost...

UKIP lost, but because of Brexit they've already won...

The winner, Mrs. May, is being told to resign because she didn't win...

And she won't, because she won, even though she lost...

Car Expert

#124 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4192 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 10 June 2017 - 22:57

This was posted on my Facebook feed, which sums up the election results quite well:

So the Conservatives won, but lost...
Labour lost, but won...
The SNP won and lost in Scotland, but still won...
And the Conservatives won in Scotland, but lost...
UKIP lost, but because of Brexit they've already won...
The winner, Mrs. May , is being told to resign because she didn't win...
And she won't, because she won, even though she lost...

Car Expert

Makes more sense than a lot of things I've heard.

#125 GMc

GMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 11 June 2017 - 00:46

Our national rag (all the Australian papers are rags but some worse than others) had an editorial on this.  They mentioned that the newly energised young voters  like the sound of Corbyn  but have no idea what the reality would be.   They  have no recall of the last time the upper tax rate was 83% and no, it most certainly didn't lead to better schools, services or hospitals.    In fact we were sitting around in the dark every evening....wishing we had proper fireplaces and cooking on a one ring gas camper stove. And that led to the enormously long reign of  Mrs T..... 

Never goes well for leaders who take over mid-term rather than being voted in - we have had a long line of these lately here.  And who on earth was advising her?  She might be theoretically right that various people should indeed be paying more for themselves in retirement but it was hardly an opportune moment to mention it. As for  foxes when 80 something% of the population disagree and you make yourself look a lord from Downton Abbey by mentioning it...words fail me.  Boris here we come....

#126 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:39

Apparently there is now Brexism and Brexists, and employers are being advised to watch out for it in the workplace and in the recruitment process.

The following are dictionary definitions of racism and/or sexism.  Just substitute Brexit.

1.  The belief that one’s own race/gender/view about Brexit is superior to the other.

2.  Antagonism directed against someone of a different race/gender/view about Brexit based on the belief that one’s own gender/race/view is superior.

3.  Attitudes that foster stereotypes based on race/gender/a person’s view about Brexit.

I think this is true of an awful lot of things these dyas. A horrible tribalism has developed, I suspect largely driven by social media, in which one view prevails and anyone disagreeing with that view is deemed wrong. No discussion is acceptable. The tribe has decided and anyone disagreeing with it is automatically a bad person. I find this really, really scary. When I was young (and it still happens round our dining table!) we would discuss anything freely and openily, happy to disagree and argue a point. Nowadays, it seems, if you disagree with the mob view then you are a terrible person.

The 15 year old girl we fostered asked why we had 'fights'. We  don't! But she had no concept that people could disagree and argue and discuss and still like and respect each other.

#127 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5737 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 11 June 2017 - 14:21

Not to mention that the mob view depends on which mob... my views are not easily lumped into one tribe so I suspect I could be a terrible person to both sides. But maybe that's the exact point you're trying to make.

#128 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 14:30

My views are not aligned with any tribe. But yes, that merans that if I express a view which is different from the prevailing one then I am afraid to express it. I am not a shrinking violet and this was not the case in the past, but the fear of thoughtless condemnation rather than discussion is enough to make the most confident person think twice. I find it depressing and frightening in equal measure. And this is the environment in which young peoploe are developing. As far as they know the right view is the one which is shouted in the loudest and most condemning way. I know this isn't always the case but it's becoming frighteningly common.

#129 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6128 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 11 June 2017 - 15:48

GMc  - a return to 83% tax rate has not been proposed.

#130 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6628 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 11 June 2017 - 17:05

banjogirl and corenfa I think you are absolutely right.  I’m inclined to think it isn’t only the social media but also the fact that children no longer write essays for which they have to research points  and  in which they have to propose  and argue  more than one point of view. I will be only too glad to be corrected if someone can tell me that children do these days write essays but the impression I have is that they don’t and also that they  don’t get much guidance on how to sift information and express points of view. I also have the impression that this has been going on for some time and has affected several generations of children – who are now adults. What is more, certain elements of the press in England thrive on tribalism. It makes money.

#131 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 19:05

When my niece was doing her degree they were told, when writing an essay, that they should decide at the start what conclusion they had come to and only use material that supported their case! I was horrified.

There is a lot less essay writing. Even at A level the questions are broken down into little bits. I honestly think that learning to write an essay is one of the most important life skills there is, because it transfers into everything. Learning how to sift through material, present it coherently and draw a conclusion is the basis of so many things, such as report writing, documentary making, analysing a child abuse case, almost anything in fact. Learning to read and undersatnd material, sort it and present it coherently is so important, and apart from anything else helps you to order your own mind.

We got a new RE teacher in what is now year 9. We were a bright top set but he was openly appalled at our lack of skill. He told us exactly what he expected and we got horribly low marks while we learnt. But we always knew that whatever mark we got from him truly reflected the quality of our work. I am eternally grateful to him for teaching me how to write an essay properly. He wasn't a particularly nice man but he was a fabulous teacher and changed my life utterly. And not with praise, which we'd had far too much of!