Photo

ATCL Clarinet - Repeats Expected/Allowed?

Clarinet ATCL Diploma

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 21 April 2017 - 17:12

I am doing an ATCL on clarinet in August. My programme is:

Finzi Bagetelles 1, 2 & 5
Hindemith Clarinet Sonata movs 1, 3 & 4
Brahms Sonata No. 1 movs 3 & 4

There are repeats in the third movement of Brahms. Does anyone know if these should be played? The Trinity syllabus says long exposition repeats and repeats in variations should be omitted.

#2 Appassionata

Appassionata

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1684 posts
  • Member: 960
  • Down South!

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:03

I wouldn't include them unless you were short in programme length or it ruined the musical flow.

#3 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 23:28

Thanks a lot Appassionata! I haven't timed myself yet, but according to recordings, my programme is 31-32 minutes in total playing time without repeats. Not sure if that will be acceptable ...

#4 The Land

The Land

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 894690

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:05

Thanks a lot Appassionata! I haven't timed myself yet, but according to recordings, my programme is 31-32 minutes in total playing time without repeats. Not sure if that will be acceptable ...

I see the syllabus says 32-38 minutes - if you do find you're at 31-32 you probably need to find a few extra minutes to be on the safe side. You don't want to risk losing avoidable marks. 

I don't know the clarinet repertoire at all but I just had a look at the score of the 3rd movement you mention. It looks like the kind of thing you could include - the syllabus directions say no "lengthy exposition repeats" and those are neither lengthy nor exposition. So I'd keep them in. :)

#5 Fazioligirl

Fazioligirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Member: 893432
  • Kent

Posted 05 May 2017 - 14:11

You need to time yourself several times -don't rely on the timings given on recordings. Accurate timings won't be reached until nearer the time of your exam but it's good to have a rough idea of how long they take. I've just done (and passed) the Advanced Certificate and we didn't add the timings to the programme notes until the very last minute. It was interesting to see how the timings varied in different performances that I did in the run up to the exam.

#6 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 14:22

I find it amusing that ATCL candidates are required to write down accurate timings in the programme notes. Why should anyone be obligated to present a performance of a pre-determined length? Personally I tend to be highly repeatable in terms of timing, but holding someone to that is terribly unmusical!

You need to time yourself several times -don't rely on the timings given on recordings. Accurate timings won't be reached until nearer the time of your exam but it's good to have a rough idea of how long they take. I've just done (and passed) the Advanced Certificate and we didn't add the timings to the programme notes until the very last minute. It was interesting to see how the timings varied in different performances that I did in the run up to the exam.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clarinet, ATCL, Diploma